Random photoness... (56k Warning & OWN PHOTOS ONLY)

Posted by gav 
Re: Random photoness... (56k Warning)
Date: August 13, 2009 11:43AM
Posted by: The Lopper
That middle photo is brilliant. I love those long exposures of the stars. The glare from the moon kinda makes it; it makes it even look more like day!
Date: August 13, 2009 01:07PM
Posted by: mortal
Great to see this thread back in action again. :-) Great star pics, we don't get to see the Perseid meteor shower down under.
Here's some pics of the new addition to the house, my playroom. :-)
Ripping up the old decking on the verandah.

The frame is up.

Charlie Brown Esq. likes it.

Windows and doors are in.

Insulation is in, and hired a lifter for the ceiling plasterboard.

Most of the plasterboard is up.

Almost done with the plastering.

Monty was out on the front verandah this afternoon.

Climbing a broom handle. There's an old skin hanging there.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 18, 2009 09:53AM
Monty Python is on the prowl. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 18, 2009 02:01PM
Posted by: chet
In a strange sorta way that things kinda cute. Still if I could help it i wouldnt go anywhere near!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 03, 2009 12:09AM
Posted by: n00binio
to bring this quality thread back to the first page :-)

taken today with an electron microscope

eye of a hornet:

close up view of the eye:

that stuff lying around is dust, i dunno about that spike coming out of the eye in the second pic

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: December 03, 2009 02:18AM
Posted by: EC83
Wow, that's brilliant! How near-perfect the honeycomb structure of the eye lens is.

Date: June 07, 2010 05:34AM
OK, everyone must've taken a few more awesome pics by now, and I also just noticed this thread was made 5 years ago yesterday. So let's try and keep it resurrected! :)

Here's a few of mine, taken over time and copied from my Facebook:

Prolonged exposure shot of shopping trolley, February 2008:

Moody shot from Dundee Law, January 2008:

Streetlight streaks superimposed on a shot of a pathway, February 2008:

A minibus in motion, February 2008:

My mate warming up for a gig, November 2007:

Random shot on Dundee Uni campus, February 2008:

Streetlights, December 2009(taken on my phone):

Car headlights and brake lights, December 2009(phone pic):

Streetlights, December 2009(phone):

Streetlights superimposed on trees, December 2009(phone):

Christmas tree, December 2009:

Streetlights and traffic lights, January 2010:

Traffic lights, January 2010:

Streetlights and traffic lights superimposed on road, January 2010:

Random prolonged exposure shot of campus buildings, February 2010:

Date: June 07, 2010 07:43AM
Woo, definitely some random photoness there. :-)

Date: June 07, 2010 09:30AM
How much can a koala bear? In the garden last week.

All your couchez are belong to us.

The road into town last week. 275mm of rain fell in one day.

The path of Zen, much digging involved....and repairing after the rain. I'm over it. :-(

The Ganja Faeries, Nimbin Mardi Grass 2010

Date: June 07, 2010 11:36AM
Posted by: gav
EC83
OK, everyone must've taken a few more awesome pics by now

Photos I've taken since my last post:

Portraits at our school (prom, panto and formal portraits)
Portraits for another school
A few dozen other random photos around school
Some rather average shots from BTCC Knockhill last September

And I think that's it.

My problem is I don't have a creative eye. If the subject is sat right in front of me, I'm fine (taking shots at motorsport events and portraits for example), yet when it comes to spotting a random photo, I'm useless.

So despite my big, scary camera, I don't tend to use it an awful lot outside of certain events.

I do enjoy having a random walk around our village at silly o'clock in the morning once a year or so, getting some moody/creepy photos, but I haven't felt that impulse yet. :P

Random funky/distorted/freak photos are always quite amusing. I see I'm not the only one who likes random streaks of light, but I have to ask... is your exposure button stuck? ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 11:38AM by gav.
Date: June 07, 2010 05:25PM
All those pics(except the phone ones) are taken on a Kodak EasyShare LS755, on the "Museum" setting(no flash, f2.8, 1/8second shutter speed). So far I find that one works best for those streaky shots.
I like taking prolonged exposure photos like that at the end of nights out, when I'm rather(or extremely) drunk. It's done by pointing the camera, releasing the button and immediately shaking/jerking/panning it. As random as that. I found out how to do it by accident too. I've taken hundreds of photos like that over the last couple of years - those are just a few examples.

I am starting to diversify to doing more different types of photos as well though - and the LS755 is a crackingly well-rounded camera for all types of photo opportunity, despite being over 5 years old now. The only problem with it is it doesn't plug directly into a USB port on a PC like newer versions probably would, but I get round that by transferring the memory card into various card-readers.

I should add that stupid o'clock in the morning is a great time for taking photos in my experience, especially at this time of year when it gets light so early(here at least) that said photo opportunities arise before you get home from a full-on night out. I don't live in village obviously though, so I probably won't get the same kind of moody photo opportunities you do.

Date: June 07, 2010 07:29PM
Posted by: ralv585
My first posts in here :)

From my trips to Japan and South Korea:

Date: June 07, 2010 08:15PM
Posted by: Nickv
That last pic is stunning!
Date: June 07, 2010 09:21PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Why did you have to post one of yourself?

;)
Date: June 07, 2010 09:31PM
Stunning pics Ralv, especially this one:

And this:

And the sunset ones are pretty magical.
The one of the tigers is the kind you could do a painting of if you wanted.

Date: June 07, 2010 10:49PM
Thanks guys, if you want to see the full set, check these links out:
[koreainpictures.tumblr.com]
[konichiwa-tokyo.tumblr.com]

Gui, i would never post my pic here, don't want to get photoshop raped ;)

Date: June 07, 2010 11:31PM
Posted by: gav
Gui on the other hand never thinks twice before uploading a shot of himself... several times in this very thread no doubt. He never missed an opportunity to post a photo of himself. ;)

You've certainly got a better eye for a photo than me Ruben. This is what I meant in the other thread - the camera is only a limitation where it's technically limiting you - in no way would a dSLR, let alone a D700, improve on the excellent composition or quality of the 1st photo EC83 quoted - and according to the EXIF data it was taken with a compact. I'd have that printed at as high a resolution as you can get away with - if not get a canvas print.

It leads you right into the scene, almost in a 3rd person sense, and nearly at ground level. Even the vignetting adds to the shot (though ideally it would be similar in both top corners). It's an excellent capture. The only criticism I can offer, and it's minor, is that the horizon isn't level (a really quick fix if you've got Photoshop - Ruler tool > Edit > Image Rotation > Arbitrary > OK).

I like your 3rd last image too. The sun directly over the tallest building and the couple on the river bank. The sun's blown out (when wouldn't a sun be blown out), but the image doesn't suffer as a result. A lovely tranquil scene.

I like the composition of what I presume to be a city-based ice rink too - again, the eye is led directly to the chaos on the rink, completely bypassing the foreground.

Your eye for a photo is excellent. Clearly you take a while to set up a shot - they're not just holiday snap-shots.
Date: June 07, 2010 11:45PM
Posted by: msater
EC83, you've given me an idea. Thank you!

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: June 08, 2010 12:07AM
Posted by: n00binio
superb pics guys :-)

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: June 08, 2010 12:11AM
All the pics have a little post processing, but i couldn't be bothered to crop, i think i took over a thousand pictures and these are my favorites.

Agree with the vignette, think i went overboard in lightroom, i would have also had her stand more central, but it was freezing so had to take a quick pic and get out of there!

The reason for me wanting to "upgrade" is that i want to do more portrait shots, close ups on faces and i just can't get the depth of field i want, i want better focal lengths and low light shots.

Thanks for the comments though, never been one for holiday snaps, i do like a good picture :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy