Random photoness... (56k Warning & OWN PHOTOS ONLY)

Posted by gav 
Re: Random photoness... (56k Warning)
Date: July 21, 2008 01:12AM
Posted by: LS.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 24, 2008 07:24AM
Posted by: Briere
Date: July 24, 2008 11:53AM
Posted by: gav
Something a bit different for the forum. As I mentioned earlier, I said I'd upload some of the photos I took from our Middle School's (we're still 3-tier, (First, Middle, High) in Northumberland) end of year, Year 8 prom. So 13 years old for the non-Brits.

Being an IT technie and not a photographer, these are lacking compared to what a pro or half-useful amateur could come up with, but I'm not disappointed with them. Only disappointment really was that Warehouse Express could only send out 1 of the backdrops, so I had to use an existing one for the floor, instead of having two 3x7m backdrops side-by-side (6m wide for group shots).

Note that my Dell 2408WFP is a nightmare to setup for accurate colour reproduction, so some of these are a little off in post-processing - they've been post-processed to suit Ilford Smooth Pearl paper, as we allow parents to order shots. I did most of them in a frantic hurry on Monday (trying to get the selection sheet out for the kids on Monday night) so I could print the ordered photos on Tuesday. You'll note the backdrop is sometimes a little on the dark/light/desaturated side, but frankly, it was the least of my worries. :P

Click for a 50% version, cropped.

People never seem to post their kit for such shoots, so I thought post mine, as I'd find it infinitely useful if more did. This is a budget kit if ever there was one, being a small, 135 kid school. The set up was a Nikon D40x with the kit 18.55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens (I'd have used my Sigma 30mm F1.4 prime, but I needed to be able to zoom, and haven't replaced the kit lens yet. Tripod was a Manfrotto MN055XPROB with Manfrotto MN804RC2 head and a Custom Bracket's CB Junior flash bracket to allow me to have the camera in portrait mode with the flash still above the camera rather than off to one side. The flash was connected to the camera via a Nikon SC-29 TTL Remote Cord (as the bracket meant I couldn't have it connected directly to the hot-shoe). The main flash was a diffused Nikon SB800 Speedlight, angled to bounce off the (very high) school hall ceiling, and it also wirelessly controlled two SB600 Speedlights bounced off of two Interfit umbrellas. Stobes would obviously have been ideal, but we/I didn't have that sort of money available to us/me. You can buy industrial work lights apparently, which cost a lot less than pro strobe lights, but it's not something I've considered yet. I also had a small 60cm umbrella (similar to this one) which I placed at around 70 degrees to the subject to the subjects right, behind them to try to bounce some light back behind the subject - was more of an experiment than anything else, and didn't appear to work, but it lost me nothing.

The flashes and umbrellas were mounted via some Kaiser-umbrella-holding-thingies-with-hot-shoe-connector on old, cheap tripods and a Manfrotto MN682B monopod, which can use 3 legs (I use it for a stationary camera which filming the Christmas panto - it's got a hell of a lot more reach than any tripod I have).

Backdrop was a Lastolite 3x7m tie-dyed sheet stretched and clothes-pegged across a washing line tied to two steel pegs normally used for a protective sheet for a bow-and-arrow club in our school hall... on the floor was the backdrop I used last year - a big blue sheet (approx 5x5m) used for draping the sides off on the stage in the school pantomime. It didn't match the backdrop, but was all I could manage. The intended set up was two of the Lastolite backdrops (they only delivered one) in 2x3m long by 7m deep (around 3m in height with the rest draped across the floor) suspended from a self made lighting stand (following this guide), but the piping I got wasn't stiff enough to hold the heavy backdrop at the height needed. The clothes line trick worked well though, other than some slight sagging under the weight, and some creases we didn't have time to iron out.
Date: July 24, 2008 07:55PM
Posted by: villej
Have you done much studio photography?

Those pictures look great to my eye, the colours are clear and lighting is well done, but I have to admit my knowledge about studio photography is next to non existant, so I can't really give any detailed feedback. Only thing that pops to my eye is the line between the floor and the back backdrop, I think it would look better if there was just one large backdrop for both floor and background, but maybe that's just a matter of taste.

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2008 07:57PM by villej.
Date: July 24, 2008 09:28PM
Posted by: gav
villej Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you done much studio photography?
>
> Those pictures look great to my eye, the colours
> are clear and lighting is well done, but I have to
> admit my knowledge about studio photography is
> next to non existant, so I can't really give any
> detailed feedback. Only thing that pops to my eye
> is the line between the floor and the back
> backdrop, I think it would look better if there
> was just one large backdrop for both floor and
> background, but maybe that's just a matter of
> taste.

I did a sort of dummy run last year (literally just a backdrop, tripod and flash). I did some photos for the Christmas panto too, but that's been it.

As I said in the final paragraph, the intention was to have 7m of depth, 3m high and then draped across the floor, but they only had 1 of the back drops in stock, so I had to improvise.

As suspected, the colour is a touch off, but a regional paper is going to print a selection of them next week. :)
Date: July 24, 2008 09:43PM
Posted by: villej
Yeah, sorry, missed that bit in the last paraghraph. I think it's quite well improvised though. :)

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
Date: August 30, 2008 12:10PM
Posted by: mortal
I was in the garage, mucking about with a vanity unit to make the basin fit when I heard this buzzing noise from the other end of the block.

Massive swarm happening.

Wonder if there's any honey in there, could be dangerous.

Spotted this fig tree in town.
Pics reduced in PS, size and res by half.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 30, 2008 03:07PM
Posted by: msater
that is a lot of bees, mal. did you get stung taking those pictures?

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: August 30, 2008 04:03PM
Posted by: chet
That tree is awesome! So is that bees nest!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 30, 2008 07:08PM
Posted by: Jolkins
Here's one of my fishes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2008 07:08PM by Jolkins.
Date: August 30, 2008 11:00PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Jolkins schreef:
> Here's one of my fishes.
> [img385.imageshack.us]
> e58006091ahk8.jpghttp://img385.imageshack.us/img38
> 5/4148/27801928537892f2514bbl9.jpghttp://img149.im
> ageshack.us/img149/6601/2780187515274e8850d7js0.jp
> g

nice chichild there, not as cool as my gustaf ;)

Date: August 31, 2008 01:02AM
Posted by: sasjag
which is not as awesome as my Sailfin :D

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: August 31, 2008 01:25AM
Posted by: n00binio
gustaf has cool eyes ;)
Date: August 31, 2008 08:57AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Gustaf is trying to commit suicide, he can't stand Byron ;)
Date: August 31, 2008 09:41AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
sasjag schreef:
> which is not as awesome as my Sailfin :D
>
> [photos-a.ak.facebook.com]
> 0/124/16/510394355/n510394355_562680_9902.jpg

yeh ok, sailfins are cool ;) they get huge though :P

Date: August 31, 2008 01:33PM
they do indeed, mine was about 1.5inches when i got him, hes about 6inches now

Sim

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: August 31, 2008 01:43PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
they do indeed, mine was about 1.5inches when i got him, hes about 6inches now

O Rly?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 31, 2008 01:49PM
ya rly. ;p

Sim

Date: August 31, 2008 08:29PM
Posted by: kaid
some pics i took on vacation

Date: August 31, 2008 08:46PM
Posted by: chet
sasjag Wrote:
> they do indeed, mine was about 1.5inches when i
> got him, hes about 6inches now

average then

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy