Random photoness... (56k Warning & OWN PHOTOS ONLY)

Posted by gav 
Re: Random photoness... (56k Warning)
Date: January 29, 2007 09:21PM
Posted by: kizz360
looks awesome :)

click on it :) you get a picture with res 2048x1536 ;)

Date: January 29, 2007 09:22PM
Posted by: MarcLister
kizz360 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> looks awesome :)
>
> click on it :) you get a picture with res
> 2048x1536 ;)

SMEGGING HELL!! They are getting resized. Thanks for that Kizz. :-)
Date: January 29, 2007 09:25PM
Posted by: villej
Yeah you can get bigger version by clicking the picture. The camera is 'Canon Powershot S1 IS' by the way. Nice that you like, all credit to the beatiful scenery though.

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
Date: March 13, 2007 08:32PM
I got a new camera one week ago. :)
I took this shot today. Was a really beatiful day.

(Clicking the picture gets you to my photo gallery where you can get the full-size version of it.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2007 08:40PM by villej.
Date: March 13, 2007 11:11PM
Posted by: gareth
very beautiful photo villej, well done!
Date: March 13, 2007 11:16PM
gareth Wrote:
> very beautiful photo villej, well done!

Seconded. I see its with the 400D. What is that like? Been thinking of getting an SLR for a while, I just can't decide between a 350D/400D/30D.

And did you take the pic with the kit 18-55mm lens?
Date: March 14, 2007 09:13AM
The main difference bethween 400D and 350D is the self cleaning sensor, which is actually one of the reason I bought the 400D. 30D is obiviously great, but it was out of my budget range.

When I bought the camera I considered bethween Nikon D80, Canon EOS 350D and 400D, and Sony Alpha. First I dropped Nikon D80 out because it was a bit too pricey here(about 200 euros more than 400D), and then 350D because it didn't have a self cleaning sensor, which I consider a quite vital feature as I don't like cleaning the sensor myself so frequently. Then I finally ended up with the 400D bacause the Sony Alpha was actually quite hard to get here, many shops didn't have it.

I have had the 400D for about a week now, and I have nothing bad to say about it yet. It feels solid and very well built. I have also quite big hands and I was told I might not like the 400D because of it's smallness, but I haven't had any problems with it's size, I can get a good grip of it with my hands. The battery also seems to last endlessly. I have taken about 200 pics with the current charge already, and it's still shows that the battery is full. Also Canon's bundled software is great.

And yes, that pic is taken with the kit lens, it's not that bad that someones make it out to be. And if you know it's weaknesses you can get round them, basically if you don't use the lowest aperatures the image quality is quite good. Also there's some barrel distortion at the wide end, but that's nothing unusual for a zoom lens. I have been thinking of getting a wide 12-20mm zoom lens though.

Date: March 14, 2007 10:03AM
Cheers for that villej. What is the sensor cleaning like? Is it reliable or just a Canon gimmick?
Date: March 14, 2007 11:02AM
Obiviously I wouldn't have that much dust on the sensor yet, so I can't comment from my own experience how good the sensor cleaning is, but I have heard from others that have the camera that it does its job pretty well.
I also saw a test somewhere on the internet where they deliberately put dust to the 400D image sensor and the sensor had cleaned itself almost completely after a few cleaning cycles, but I don't remember where I saw the test sadly. The camera also has an option for automatic software removal of the dust that is left to the sensor by the cleaning system, and it's also supposed to work very well too.

Found a video on youtube that explains how the sensor cleaning system works:

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2007 03:36PM by villej.
Date: March 14, 2007 06:30PM
Thanks again villej. So how much did you pay for the camera then? It was probably cheaper than the average UK price. I've thought about getting my camera from the US or Canada where I have relatives but then the warranty on the camera would be US/Canada limited only. If I've understood the OcUK photo section right, its only lenses you can buy from anywhere in the world and have an international warranty on them.

Having watched the vid, I see no reason to not get the 400D with probably just the kit lens to begin with and perhaps also the 50mm F1.8 along with a spare battery and a Hoya circular polarising filter just to get started.

Oh and btw did you edit the pic in anyway? Photoshop? I don't NEED an SLR and I don't NEED Photoshop but if I get the SLR then I have a better reason to get Photoshop because then I can learn photography AND photoshopping at the same time. ;-)
Date: March 14, 2007 07:18PM
I paid 780 euros(£530) for the camera, of which £100 was taxes. I ordered the camera from France, as that way it was a bit cheaper than the prices here. Then I also bought a 2gb CF, a camera bag and an UV-Filter, which cost about 90 euros combined.

That picture is not edited in any way, it's just converted from RAW to JPG, and only little playing with levels is done. If you want you can use Canon Digital Photo Professional software that comes with the camera for basic editing of the images too.

Date: March 14, 2007 07:22PM
villej Wrote:
> I paid 780 euros(£530) for the camera, of which
> £100 was taxes. I ordered the camera from France,
> as that way it was a bit cheaper than the prices
> here. Then I also bought a 2gb CF, a camera bag
> and an UV-Filter, which cost about 90 euros
> combined.

So about £595 for a camera, CF card, Bag and UF filter. WOW!! Bet I bet I'd never get a deal as good as that in the UK.

>
> That picture is not edited in any way, it's just
> converted from RAW to JPG, and only little playing
> with levels is done. If you want you can use Canon
> Digital Photo Professional software that comes
> with the camera for basic editing of the images
> too.

Yeah I was wondering about the supplied software since Canon, Nikon etc have different file types for their SLR RAW files which is really useful (!). So for just quick touching up the Canon stuff would be OK? Perhaps I could then edit it in Paint.Net or something.
Date: March 14, 2007 09:07PM
"So for just quick touching up the Canon stuff would be OK? Perhaps I could then edit it in Paint.Net or something."

Yeah, Canons own software is quite good for basic editing.

The 400D seems to cost £502 at pixmania for UK buyers by the way, which is actually over £30 less than what I paid on it at pixmania. :)

Date: March 14, 2007 10:34PM
Posted by: gav
It's £499 from Jessops (Inc. VAT) with the 18-55mm lens kit. Marc's not the only one tempted by this ;-). I think tomorrow I'll be getting an order in for that kit.

BTW, for UK buyers, I've heard nothing but bad things about Pixmania - something along the line of grey imports and problems with after-sales service if I remember right. Saying as they're not really any cheaper than other places, I'd consider looking around and checking up on them before placing an order, especially for such high-priced goods.
Date: March 14, 2007 10:39PM
gav Wrote:
> It's £499 from Jessops (Inc. VAT) with the
> 18-55mm lens kit. Marc's not the only one tempted
> by this ;-). I think tomorrow I'll be getting an
> order in for that kit.

I'd make the order NOW if I had the money. I'll have to wait and see what my student loan is like next time round or wait until I return to my summer job in the erm summer.

>
> BTW, for UK buyers, I've heard nothing but bad
> things about Pixmania - something along the line
> of grey imports and problems with after-sales
> service if I remember right. Saying as they're not
> really any cheaper than other places, I'd consider
> looking around and checking up on them before
> placing an order, especially for such high-priced
> goods.

I kind of had a feeling about them from their site for some reason. I don't know exactly why but I just wasn't convinced. We ordered a Creative Muvo off them for my brother 3-4 years ago and that was speedily despatched but other than that the prices haven't been anywhere near competitive enough for me to even consider them.
Date: March 15, 2007 01:03PM
I have ordered many goods from pixmania lately, and haven't had a single problem with them. Delivery has been very fast and realiable, and support works well. Also the prices are quite a bit cheaper that you would have to pay here.

Date: March 15, 2007 02:49PM
Posted by: keiran
Everyone I know of who has bought a G25 (different item but still) from Pixmania has the wrong plug. They are getting 2 pin plugs over the 3 pin, so they must be importing them at least.

Keiran

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: March 15, 2007 03:35PM
gav Wrote:
> It's £499 from Jessops (Inc. VAT) with the
> 18-55mm lens kit. Marc's not the only one tempted
> by this ;-). I think tomorrow I'll be getting an
> order in for that kit.
>
> BTW, for UK buyers, I've heard nothing but bad
> things about Pixmania - something along the line
> of grey imports and problems with after-sales
> service if I remember right. Saying as they're not
> really any cheaper than other places, I'd consider
> looking around and checking up on them before
> placing an order, especially for such high-priced
> goods.

Have you placed your order yet? If so take a look at [www.warehouseexpress.com]. The 400D with 18-55 sells for £470 inc VAT. Standard delivery is £7.95 so you are looking at £477.95 inc VAT and Delivery. Jessops offer free delivery for orders over £150 so you'd pay £22.04 less at Warehouse Express.
Date: March 15, 2007 04:03PM
Posted by: gav
Nope, still contemplating. Arrgggh.

That probably is a better deal. Think the Jessops one had a 1gb Sandisk card and a bag with it. Swings and round-abouts probably.
Date: March 15, 2007 04:27PM
gav Wrote:
> Nope, still contemplating. Arrgggh.
>
> That probably is a better deal. Think the Jessops
> one had a 1gb Sandisk card and a bag with it.
> Swings and round-abouts probably.

The 400D + 18-55mm + card + bag is £574.99. [www.jessops.com]

The 400D + 18-55mm is £499.99. [www.jessops.com]

I suppose the card and bag pack might be quite a good deal. Jessops charge £64.99 for the Sandisk 2Gb E3 card so in effect you get a Canon bag for £10. The pic of it makes that £10 value seem pretty decent. I mean a pretty nice brand card AND a camera bag for an extra £75 almost sounds like a bargain.

But then Warehouse Express sell the Sandisk 2Gb E3 card for £28.99!! :-o They don't sell that same bag that Jessops do but if the 400D + 18-55mm+ Sandisk 2Gb E3 + delivery from Warehouse Express comes to £506.94 then you save £68.05 which ought to buy you a decent bag.

Warehouse Express have a semi hard case (Gui/Chet: No giggling. ;-)) for £34.99 making the new total £541.93. Still saving £33.06 here. (Y) Or take a look at the Crumpler bags [www.warehouseexpress.com]. They are quite well thought of on OcUK Photography forum I think.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy