GPGames Forum Scale Model Section

Posted by LS. 
Re: GPGames Forum Scale Model Section
Date: May 31, 2012 12:10AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Date: June 02, 2012 10:45AM
Posted by: Guimengo
These are the outcasts I have on sale right now on e-Bay. My plan is offload them to buy a Nico Rosberg 2011 Minichamps for $59, brand new with shipping included!

Date: July 16, 2012 03:07PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Can someone explain the difference between Onyx and Minichamps in terms of quality?

Thinking of starting a 1994 1:43 collection .... but there is currently and entire 1994 set by Onyx on eBay :P

Fanks amigos.
Date: July 16, 2012 05:19PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Minichamps models are far superior quality to Onyx, but I'm pretty sure that Minichamps didn't actually make all the 94 cars. So you'll have to go for Onyx versions of the backmarkers, such as Pacific, Minardi and Lotus. Still, the Onyx models are not to bad considering their age. Think it's the same for the 1995, 1996 and 1997 seasons too. 1998 was all Minichamps, and then from 1999 it was split between Minichamps and Hotwheels.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: July 16, 2012 06:57PM
OK, thanks.

And I'm guessing the Hotwheels ones are @#$%&?

Was there any particular era where Onyx were better or worse than usual? Perhaps someone could write out a nice detailed history??? :P
Date: July 17, 2012 11:02AM
Posted by: danm
I'm currently selling my house and am looking to offload a load as many of my F1 bits as possible. I have a fair amount of Onyx models from the early 90s especially

I collected mostly backmarkers, and have things like all the Pacifics, Minardi, Forti, Minardis from 1994-1996; as well as the Pink Hype Arrows cars, Leyton House/Minardi/Ferrari 1991; Benetton 1989 pair. Too many to list actually.

Are there any particular models/years you are after? Or was it the full set only that caught your eye?

Plus a job lot of 'F1 News'; 'Official F1 Magazine' and 'Autosports' from about 1992 to 2008. Not a full collection, but too much info to just disgard, particularly the early/mid 90s.

I do wonder if it is any use to the modding community?

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: July 17, 2012 02:03PM
Dan I was thinking of collecting the 1994 season - not the Onyx ones though. But I would have to do it piece by piece.

Are the backmarkers Minichamps?

I won't be able to start until October though when I next get paid after I start my new job (and career, actually).
Date: July 17, 2012 02:19PM
Well the Hotwheels cars are certainly not as good as the Minichamps cars, but I don't really see the problem with them. I have both Ferrari's and Stewart's from that year and they look pretty good. Then again the Williams cars produced by Hotwheels in 1999 looked dog @#$%&. However Minichamps made the FW21 themselves anyway and it is a top quality model.

I'd personally suggest to never buy an Onyx or Hotwheels model if Minichamps produce their own version.

The Onyx models as time went on seriously improved. I have the 1997 Sauber which is one of the last F1 cars that Onyx produced and it is pretty much indistinguishable from the other 1997 cars I have that are made by Minichamps. I'd state that their 1996 and 1997 cars are their best work, however I can't really vouch for the 1994 or 1995 cars as I have never owned one myself.

Date: July 19, 2012 02:29PM
Posted by: fongu
Well I've owned a number of 1990's cars, and am working on getting the remainder of 1994 cars I haven't owned.
As far as I know, Minichamps made the following models

Benetton 193B (Launch car) and the Benetton B194 - Onyx also made the B194 and a late season version with updated side pods which Minichamps didn't. Minichamps made various models of the Benetton throughout the year, as they were one of the sponsors.

Williams FW15C (Launch car) and the Williams FW16.

McLaren MP4/8 - very nice models :) Onyx also made it.

Ferrari 412 T1 - early season versions made by Onyx and Minichamps. Mattel Elite have made a number of late season versions which are very nice, I have the Silverstone GP.

Jordan 194 - Minichamps have made it in their 10 year anniversary set (so you get it along with the 1993 car). Onyx made it on its own with its four drivers.

Tyrrell 022 - Both Minichamps and Onyx made a standard version of the car.

Sauber C13 - Minichamps have made an early season and mid season shape with both liveries. Onyx stook with the early season shape with various liveries - I've got the 200th GP De Cesaris on the way :), although I would have prefered the Minichamps version, but its pretty rare.

Simtek S941 - Minichamps have made it retrospectively, and the Ratzenberger model I have is superb, much better than their 1995 model.

Onyx have made the Ligier, Lotus and Pacific (using the Benetton shape).

If I remember correctly, there were no Footwork or Minardis made by Onyx or Minichamps, except expensive Tameo/BBR models. There is a cheap Corgi version of the Footwork, but not very accurate. I have seen a 1994 Footwork converted from the Onyx 1995 model which was nice, but I've only seen that around once.

Larrousse (kronenbourg & tourtel versions) is made by a French model maker Eligor - they are rare and expensive, and I am waiting for the right one to come at the right price.

Hope that helps.

Date: July 19, 2012 05:40PM
Thanks Fongu.

That's a bit naff. I have seen the Eligor models and they aren't great. You would think that one company could just get the license for the lot of them.
Date: July 26, 2012 01:27PM
Anyone here have any experience of the 1/43 Hotwheels Elites?

I know the 1/18 Elites are fantastic quality but have never owned a 1/43. Got a few running cheap on ebay that I'm watching, and would just like to know if there any good or not

Date: July 27, 2012 12:16PM
Posted by: fongu
Personally, the Hotwheels/Mattel Elite's are a bit hit and miss.

I think the 1995 Ferrari 412 T2 is awful, looks nothing like the real thing, and the 1992 F92/A car doesn't look quite right to me.

But I've had the 1994 412 T2 and the 2007 F2007 which are really nice, and the 1998 F300 was ok.

Date: October 04, 2012 11:55PM
Posted by: Muks_C
alright chaps, long time no model-chat.

am just browsing the various Schumacher models around at the moment, particularly with his retirement now confirmed, and saw this. spot the error:

yes, it's the 20 year anniversary between '91 and '11, but the text is wrong. it says "20th GP", but the 2011 race wasn't his 20th at Spa, it was his 17th, and the 2012 race made it his 18th there (91-98, ('99 broken leg, replaced by Salo) 2000-2006, 2010-2012).

it comes in a tall box, as does this new version of the Jordan:

both have part of the dragon logo on the left corner of the card base.

there's this 2-car set too:

i would probably prefer the separate Jordan above, and this separate Spa W02:

i still haven't got a display case for my models yet, i really should get one as they're all just packed away in boxes...

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: October 05, 2012 12:12AM
Posted by: EC83
Muks, they're brilliant! The 20th anniversary one in particular is awesome, I never knew about that :)

Date: October 05, 2012 01:04PM
Yeah, nice models

I'm not sure if you've seen this Muks, I was really tempted to grab one when I was in Spa

[f1store.formula1.com]

Would make a great addition, especially following Schueys announcement yesterday

Date: October 06, 2012 01:33PM
yeah i saw that helmet. the gold one from Spa 2011 is also available. for me, they're too expensive for what they are. i don't mind spending big bucks on the cars, but i couldn't justify spending that much on helmets, even though they would make nice display pieces.

will post some pics if i get any of the above models.

has anyone got any of the Mercedes GP cars, of either Nico or Michael? i would like the 3 Schumacher Mercs, but the 2010 car is not very nice looking so i might just get the 1:43 version. the 2011 is better looking so i fancy the 1:18 version. and for 2012, they are making the Valencia 3rd place finish, and Monaco pole position versions.

you might like this video showing how the gold helmet was made:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2012 01:40PM by Muks_C.
Date: October 06, 2012 08:47PM
Interesting video mate, thanks.

You can get Schumi's normal race helmet for around £80, which is really nice. I have Vettel's from 2010 and it looks great on display next to his cars, considering the cost of 1/18 cars nowadays I think £80 is fairly reasonable for a 1/2 scale helmet.

I don't personally own any of the Mercedes cars, but I do have Seb's Red Bulls in 1/18 scale from 2010 and 2011 and they are really top quality. Minichamps have been churning out some top draw cars recently.

A note on the 1/43 scale cars, since 2010 they now come in longer cases so will no longer stack on top of the older cases.

Date: October 07, 2012 12:23PM
Posted by: ipswich2007
I'm thinking of getting some of Greenlight's Indycar models.

Specifically the 2012 Franchitti & 2011 Wheldon Indy models.

about £75 for 1/18 is kool

Date: October 07, 2012 04:53PM
@ Dan/Ferrari2007,

yeah i read about the newer Minichamps 1:43 boxes being longer/wider than previously. I don't own any yet, the newest model i have is the '09 Brazil GP Button Brawn, so haven't seen any wider boxes in person.

although i have just treated myself and ordered: 1:43 2010 Schumacher Merc, 2011 Spa Schumacher Merc (pictured above, the plain silver box not the 20 year anniversary one), '91 MS Jordan (pictured above) and Button 2010 McLaren Australian GP winner:

Date: October 07, 2012 07:15PM
Posted by: Sapo
I just received a 1:43 model of Button's car in which he won the 2011 Canadian GP. It's is excellent quality I think. I only have much older Minichamps models (DC MP4-16, MH MP4-14 and MS Ferrari '98) and indeed the new Minichamps boxes are higher and longer. As is the car btw, it's quite a bit longer than the 10 years older Macca.

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy