Grand Prix Legends

Posted by Korn_Freak 
Re: Grand Prix Legends
Date: November 12, 2003 09:52AM
Posted by: matthewp
i dont agree with that either, ive heard jackie speek a lot about it, weekend of a champion is a classic example if any of you remember it from C4 in 96, or get the chance to see it

the problem with that, is that it induces understeer, being down on the front suspension, all weight forward, pushing you on, it may provide better traction for the front wheels, but combined with the lightness over the rear (Where you want it to be on the exit) it will cause a problem

The whole point of doing it (and it works) is to reduce understeer because the front tyres have more weight on them so they grip better, when you start accelerating the weight shifts to the rear so its not a problem, plus the rear is light pretty often in GPL so you learn to live with it

Date: November 12, 2003 10:09AM
Posted by: andrew_S
hmm, not really, i think we are gettin confused here... slam the brake on, then try and turn in, the car wont go, its because the weight on the front is pushing it forward inducing understeer, do this mid corner, then try to accelerate and you spin like a top unless yoiu know how to anticipate it, which isnt the fastest way to drive the car anyway

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Date: November 12, 2003 12:07PM
It wont turn if you 'slam the brakes on' because they'd be locked up, the whole concept of trail braking is about gradually decreasing the pressure on the brakes until you get to the apex therefore keeping weight on the front tyres (more downward pressure on tyres = more grip) and trail braking is a very important skill to learn in GPL.
I think it was Andretti who said "its amazing how many drivers think that brakes are for slowing the car down" he was referring to their use in controlling the weight distribution of the car.

Date: November 12, 2003 12:14PM
Posted by: Glyn
Here's my driving tips:

1. On entering a corner, lock the wheels. This stops you from steering all over the place, and ensures the car continues in a straight line.

2. When going round the corner, just steer.

3. On the exit of the corner, nail the throttle and keep the car pointing in a straight line using the steering wheel. Steering wheel control is much easier than throttle control.

*cough* joke *cough* ;)

Date: November 12, 2003 01:22PM
It wont turn if you 'slam the brakes on' because they'd be locked up

sorry ididnt mean to say that, i meant, come off the brakes sharply and try to turn in, it wont because of the loading on the front, it will understeer, trail braking yes, but thats a different kettle of fish

Post Edited (11-12-03 20:24)

Date: November 12, 2003 02:00PM
Posted by: Vader
Why brake if you can't fix it?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 12, 2003 02:26PM
i meant, come off the brakes sharply and try to turn in, it wont because of the loading on the front, it will understeer

coming off the brakes will unload the front (relative to if you keep the brakes on) inducing the understeer, thats what i'm saying, keep the brakes on and have weight on the front tyres

Date: November 12, 2003 02:35PM
coming off the brakes lighty in trail braking with the throttle on, will not be a problem as you say, but the violant unsettling of the car having all the weight on the front, going in fast, sharply coming off will cause understeer, what i am trying to say, not very well, its the forward momentum with the weight and unsettling of the car, causes the understeer, you explain it better there... :) just my bad explaining, sorry :-S

Date: November 12, 2003 02:58PM
lol ok, we were argueing when in fact we meant the same thing :)

Date: November 13, 2003 11:22PM
Posted by: Boils
If i was trying to learn how to play GPL from that bunch of posts id be very confused now

if your spinning out, it may be bacuase your downshifting too early causing the rears to lock. rear wheels lock = massive oversteer and spin.

when i first started i would roll off the throttle and apply my brake to about half way if u hear it screetching then good stay at that point but if u see the wheels LOCK and or smoke then release the pedal abit, dont lock your brakes!! :)

while braking for the corner, example turn 1 at silverstone, slowly go down the gears untill u get to second gear, dont go modern F1 style and get from top gear to lowest gear in .2 of sec, do it in time like driving a road car...

if u keep running wide and going too fast and off the track then choose an earlier braking point untill u can make all the corners and then start to figure out how to brake harder better and later.

oh and remember not too turn and brake at the same time, brake in a striaght line then when u think your going slow enough to make the corner, turn and accelerate.... lots of practice and it will come naturally but thats all the tips i can give you

hope this doesnt confuse you more or contradict what the others said... too much

Date: November 14, 2003 12:56AM
Posted by: chrislewis
Try a different car. With the Lotus I had no problems with braking but in the Ferrari I kept spinning out.

Date: November 14, 2003 02:07AM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

yeah thanks guys

I think i got it down pat, i just have to become more Consistant, and learn to not over rev the engine as much (wich i am starting to be able to do) so in time i think ill have it sorted :)

Date: November 14, 2003 03:10AM
Posted by: Fisico2k3
eeek! i'm playing with a keyboard! and no, i will not go and buy a wheel...

i find the eagle is best for keyboard, because it is such a forgiving car. does anybody know where to find some KB driving tips? apart from "get a steering wheel"?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Currently Driving: Watkins Glen Original
Current PB: 1:07.43
Using: Xbox Controller
Date: November 14, 2003 03:55AM
Posted by: sasjag
yeh: "get a joystick or analogue pad"

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: November 14, 2003 04:25AM
Posted by: tux
Date: November 14, 2003 05:28AM
bastards. :p

i might get a joypad though. an XBox one would be awesome. the triggers...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Date: November 14, 2003 09:25AM
Posted by: Glyn
Why wont you buy a wheel?

Date: November 14, 2003 05:27PM
Posted by: Boils
owning a steering wheel is like having one of those sega rally or daytona arcade machines in your own home, only it doesnt cost yah 2 bucks every time u play and games like gpl **** ALLLLLL OVER those crappy arcade games with only 3 tracks...

u can buy a wheel for the same price as a new release game, or spend a bit more and get force feedback

if u have more then 1 racing game then i suggest u buy a wheel, or if u really want to enjoy a racing game buy a wheel

hey mate!

BUY A WHEEL!!

Date: November 14, 2003 08:17PM
no. i don't have enough money. i used to have one, but took it back and got my money back. i'm going back to uni next year and i have better things to spend my money on...

perhaps if i am a real tightass with my money i'll get one in a coupla months...

Date: November 15, 2003 03:59AM
Posted by: Pooky
my fastest time at the glen is 1.08.0x

its all about car control in these cars

also - empty the fuel tank korn, that will help

or maybe play with the setup, soften the suspension that also helps

also - anti-roll bars are VERY influential in the setup of these cars so fiddle with that. i like it high.

and play with brake bias, typre pressures, camber, toe in/out etc. etc

the main thing - try the trainer cars first

altho if u are like me i just jumped into the F1 car immediately hehe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy