One small step for man...

Posted by MikaHalpinen 
One small step for man...
Date: August 06, 2002 03:18AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
G'day all..

As I'm sure many of you probably know, I have a really, really crap computer. I played GP3 for a year and a half on it, with SW mode and a processor occupancy of consistently over 100%. Then, the GP4 thing happened. I decided I didn't care what it'd take me, I wanted to play it. So, I brought myself a 256 meg chunk of RAM, and a video card. The video card unfortunately had to be a PCI card, cos I had no AGP slot. (Go back to my first sentence to see why.) So, I got a GeForce II MX 64 Meg card, and went to put it in my computer. Alas, no PCI slot was available - We recently got a new soundcard put in, because of a corruption to do with something or other, and it wasn't previously a PCI card, so that slipped my mind.

So, at the end of the day, I was left with a Geforce 2 PCI card that I couldn't put in my computer. And, being a PCI card, obviously nobody really wanted to have anything to do with it. But, a blessing in disguise came a day later.... The computer failed to load up, (a reccuring problem that was not related to me putting more RAM in, it usually loads up again a few tries later - it happens once every 6 months or so. Go back to the first sentence to see why.) so my Dad took it to the guy that I did work experience for, last year.

He concluded that it was the Motherboard, so although we're not getting a new computer, which I was hoping for, we're getting a new motherboard, which will mean AGP slot. So, I might invest in another video card, this time a decent one, with my hard earned woolworths cash. On that note, I'm still young, and working way too much, thus the optimistic way I'm throwing money around in the matter. Heck, I brought GP4 about 2 months ago, and I still haven't played it. (on my computer, anyway.)

So yeah, I just thought I'd randomly tell you all that pleasant story.

Re: One small step for man...
Date: August 06, 2002 03:24AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Well, good luck with it mike, your missing out on gp4 at the moment :P

Date: August 06, 2002 03:28AM
Posted by: LS.
mika if you can hold on til october mate, the geforce 5 is coming out, and the prices of the other geforce family will fall,

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: August 06, 2002 04:11AM
Posted by: Tucker@Large
If you wait till December the geforce 6 will probably come out :-)

STOP THE WORLD - I WANT TO GET OFF
Date: August 06, 2002 08:59AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I don't think prices will vary too much. I'm glad your getting it sorted because I too have a crap pc, and I would buy a new gfx card, but I'm off to uni in september, and it wouldnt be worth it.
Go for a nice GF3, I'd say. Or maybe a GF 2 Ti (if your pc is really old, a top of the range GFX card wont work as well as it could).

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: August 06, 2002 10:19AM
Posted by: Zcott
I have a GeForce 4 MX 440 for a few days. :D:D:D.

Mike, glad to hear that you're going to New Computerville. Best place to be!
Date: August 11, 2002 02:45AM
Posted by: _Alex_
I have a GeForce 4 MX 440 for a few days. :D:D:D.

How can this be? Will you ever be able to part with it again?

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: August 11, 2002 04:57AM
Posted by: Orpheus
lol well he is happy anyway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: August 11, 2002 06:06AM
Posted by: Ellis
Its a bloody good card, dont care what anyone says :D

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: August 11, 2002 08:58AM
Yeah, but I'm back to my old Matrox 16mb card now :-(

*sob*

Still, Max Payne looks awesome even on 800 x 600!
Date: August 11, 2002 09:50AM
Posted by: Ellis
:';(

U borrowed a gfx card? hehe

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: August 12, 2002 11:14AM
Zcott, Matrox's are great, in their own way....

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: August 12, 2002 11:31AM
I borrowed a graphics card because some guy gave it to my brother to sell, and while he was trying to sell it, I used it for a few days.

And yes, I'm still clinging to the hope that someday, in a million years, my Matrox 16mb card will be worth something....
Date: August 12, 2002 11:40AM
Is it the G500?

I once heard that it was possible to manually upgrade the G200 to 16mb, by buying the extra 8mb RAM. I think it was'nt very reliable....that's why I stuck to my 8mb card

(and if yours is worth something in the future, then mine should be worth even more ;)

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: August 12, 2002 11:42AM
G400. It has a TV Tuner, which is one of the only reasons I'm still using it. I get to watch TV without having to even look away from the monitor!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy