Internet browsing-related question

Posted by abdelkader 
Internet browsing-related question
Date: April 29, 2016 07:16PM
Posted by: abdelkader
Hey guys,

I have a rather generic question about Internet browsing.

I don't know if it's just me but recently (approx. since three, four weeks) while browsing, I receive loads of messages like "Do you want to stay on this page/leave this page". I generally noticed that Internet websites need more time to load, than before. It used to happen in the past too, of course...a couple of times per week. Now it happens all the time, the whole day long. It happens at work and at home, so it can't be a PC/browser issue. Or is it? I am not an expert when it comes to computers, in general, so it's quite possible that I missed something important, an update or whatever...

What is your experience, guys? Is it me who is doing something wrong or am I right and the Internet is indeed acting weird these days?

Re: Internet browsing-related question
Date: April 30, 2016 03:16PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
What browser are you using ? Is it always the same one ? What are your computer's specifications ?

What sounds odd is that it happens on different computers, else I would say you have a virus or a malware.

Date: May 01, 2016 12:18AM
Thanks for your reply.
Well, at work I use Internet Explorer and at home - Chrome.
My girlfriend is currently facing the same problem on her laptop, so I don't think it's hardware- or virus-related. Though, I think that it's a bit worse at work, indeed.

My specs are: Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, DirectX 11, 4096 MB RAM, AMD FX -4300 Quad Core 4 x 3,8 GHz, AMD Radeon HD 6450

Date: May 02, 2016 10:57AM
So, we can rule out the hardwares, you're up to date :)
I wouldn't say the same, yet, for viruses : you can have a USB stick infected or other reasons like that which make possible to have the same behaviour on 3 computers.

Two more questions :
- did you try Firefox ? I personnaly won't rely on IE and Chrome is sometime... special.
- what is your search engine ?

Anyway, two things you can do now :
1- Download and install Ccleaner, it's free and safe. If it asks to install Yahoo Search or something similar say NO. First run Cleaner (first item left panel), click Analyze (bottom left button) wait until it says 100% complete then click Run Cleaner (bottom right button). Secondly, run Issues (second item left panel) Scan for issues and Fix selected issues. when this is done re-scan for issues & fix up to the point it won't found any issue.

2- Download and install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, it's free and safe. Don't accept the Free Try and instal the basic feature. Update it. Go to Scan, then Custom scan > Configure scan. In the left panel add Scan for Rootkits to the selected items, and in the right panel select driver C and D (it would be wise to add your USB sticks as well) then clic Scan now. It will take a long time to scan everything but you can still work on your computer. When the scan is done you'll have a panel with a list of items. Check them all and apply for repairs (save the log file as well).

Your computer should be ok then.

Date: May 02, 2016 11:44AM
Thank you for your elaborate reply.
Well, I never touched my girlfriend's laptop becuase she uses it only for her studies. This is why I think that it can't be a virus.
My search engine? I just use Google and nothing else.

Yes, I used to work with Firefox but then I switched to Chrome. Maybe I should move to Firefox again, indeed...
I used to have Ccleaner some years ago but haven't used it ever since I got my new rig. I will definitely give it a go.

Though, yesterday wasn't a bad day at all. The problem which I described didn't occur even once. I think it depends on the websites which I visit. If they contain lots of pictures I get this sort of problems pretty much regularly.
I will definitely have to try MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. I must admit that I never used it before. Unfortunately, I can't do anything at work as, of course, I have limited user rights and can't install/uninstall stuff just like that.

Anyway, thank you for your reply. I will definitely give your tips a go. Cheers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 11:46AM by abdelkader.
Date: May 02, 2016 01:13PM
You're welcome :)

Ccleaner will help you to have a clean and faster computer, and MalwareBytes will spot and eradicate any virus. It is very powerful and if it doesn't find anything you can be sure you have no virus at all.

An other idea may be you have a limited bandwidth which would explain the issue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy