New Computer Opinions

Posted by mika19b 
Re: New Computer Opinions
Date: March 18, 2015 09:25AM
Posted by: EricMoinet
Date: March 18, 2015 12:45PM
Posted by: marcl
An SSD drive is only any good for reads that are in order, you will only see a benefit on booting up the PC you will not get a huge benefit from it running games.

Save the money on the SSD and put it towards a powerful PC.

I know people are saying get the i5 but at work we have noticed a real benefit of the i7 compared to the i5, I would say for games get the i7.

Sorry have seen you have already ordered it my stupid phone displayed everything in the wrong order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2015 12:46PM by marcl.
Date: March 18, 2015 01:18PM
Posted by: gav
Glad to see it's sorted Mika.

marcl
An SSD drive is only any good for reads that are in order

Huh? An SSD excels at random reads. HDDs work best when the reads are arranged in order, which is why you defrag HDDs and not SSDs.

marcl
I know people are saying get the i5 but at work we have noticed a real benefit of the i7 compared to the i5, I would say for games get the i7.

i5 vs i7 is more complex than that. If gaming is the primary concern then i5 (or a quad-core i7) are the way to go, as most games don't make use of more than 4 cores and the extra clock speed is of much more benefit. If media production is the primary use then go for a 6 or 8 core i7, definitely.
Date: July 12, 2016 08:08PM
Posted by: torana_05
I didn’t want to start a new thread on this so ill ask here. This is going to be long and asking a lot of questions which i am so sorry for. But if u can bear with me I am happy for your feedback.

I am looking at getting a new pc/laptop for gaming/general use. I haven't properly gamed now for 3 years as I have been travelling and now life is properly taking my time. I still do occasionally game but I cannot run the newer games on my pc (aka assetto corsa, pcars, f1 2015 etc)i use to play rfactor 1, gp4 and gtr2 a lot and still do when I get the time. While travelling over the past 3 years i have gone back to loving gp2/gp3 and old games, mainly because the laptop i travel with cannot handle others, plus no wheel.

So this got me thinking, what am i looking for in a computer/laptop? I got my last pc built costing me a pretty penny ($1500 aud) and putting extra slots for ram, and what not kinda future proofing it so i can update it when the time comes, but that ties me down to a pc, which when I am home I plug into the tv and then game. But this takes up one whole room of my tiny house. Whereas if I have a gaming laptop i can reduce the 'mess' (as my gf refers to it).

But is a gaming laptop just a waste of money since you end up paying alot to have manoeuvrability? Plus is it a waste of time to buy a laptop that doesn’t have a removable screen which turns into a tablet? I have never owned had a tablet and I don’t really like using a smart phone to browse or whatever as I like an old type pc feel, which kind of rules this out but is this maybe a 'future proofing' device
At the end of the day long story short, re gaming laptops worth it? Opinions?

Date: July 12, 2016 08:27PM
Posted by: ferrariman
woops, duplicate post - see below!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2016 08:43PM by ferrariman.
Date: July 12, 2016 08:42PM
I have a tablet but use it for light internet browsing only. I prefer email and everything else important to come through the laptop/desktop. Tablets also suffer from the same thing as laptops which you already pointed out - upgradability! I find my tablet only really gets used when on holiday. Its small and convenient to take with but I would never consider serious gaming on it.

If you stick with a desktop, it might be worth looking at more efficient storage solutions so it doesn't take up too much space rather than sacrifice it for something you will never really be happy with. Maybe squeeze everything into a smaller case or find some clever furniture that hides the tower away when not in use?

Laptop wise, I moved to Canada from England this March for 2 years on a working holiday visa and had to buy a laptop before I left as it wasn't worth bringing the beasty desktop with me. The place I usually get all my computer stuff from builds laptops and desktops and I purchased a relatively entry level 'gaming laptop' for £750~. Everything I've thrown at it so far has been brilliant. I obviously don't have a wheel here so no racing games apart from GP4, but for comparison, I can run Star Wars Battlefront (2015) on Maximum/Ultra settings and it doesn't even break a sweat. So it seems if you shop clever and perhaps stay away from the big brand stuff like Alienware, which are so overpriced, you can get some really good deals.

I know you are not in the U.K but for reference, where I get all my stuff from: Novatech and the model I bought in February: Novatech Laptop
Date: July 12, 2016 10:46PM
Posted by: torana_05
Sweet, Thanks for the quick reply, i am currently living in Dublin now for the next 8 months before i go home so getting a computer from the uk is not impossible. Well when i was seriously into racing i did kind of build this:

This was a way of keeping everything contained but as you can see is rather bulky. Is there even a way where u could build the computer around the sides of the box? (If i go the tower or custome build way) I think for just neatness a laptop would do everything fine, as I don't seriously game any more. i am leaning more to the laptop. I think 750 pounds is what i would be looking at for a laptop. By chance was yours a Novatech Elite N1632?

Date: July 13, 2016 01:32AM
No, mine is the Elite N1613 Elite N1613
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy