Windows 8.1 users.....UPDATE
Date: July 09, 2014 12:41AM
Posted by: mortal
I installed 8.1 a while back, and recently I've been constantly getting the message that the display adapter has stopped responding and has recovered. So off to Google for a a solution.
It seems I have to update the driver for my gpu, which is a sapphire radeon hd7700 series, less than a year old. I'm already using the 14.4 64bit driver which is the latest. So I tried the rc beta, exactly the same result. Uninstalling the driver, using an amd tool to completely remove the drivers gives me a basic adapter with a microsoft driver. Updating the driver from the adapter properties tells me I already have the best driver installed. During the writing of this post the adapter has reset the display twice!
Do I have to invest in a new gpu card, which by the way would use the same driver as I've looked at an r7 250 2gb gpu.
The thing is, the adapter doesn't reset if I'm gaming, I can run Wolfenstein New Order no problems at all. It occurs on start-up, and if I view a video on facebook or youtube. So I have re-installed the flash player which didn't help. Also watching a video on gom player is no problem either.
There just doesn't seem to be a fix. Should I be looking at downloading earlier drivers, say 13 series and trying it or is this a windows 8.1 bug? Anyone got any thoughts on this? Cheers.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2014 12:04AM by mortal.
Re: Windows 8.1 users.....
Date: July 09, 2014 07:35AM
Posted by: gav
Make a full system image using Macrium (there's a free edition), reinstall Windows 8.1 from scratch and install the latest drivers again, and test it. If it works, you know it's a software issue rather than a hardware one. I'd be very surprised if it is a hardware issue (if it's the card, you certainly wouldn't expect issues at idle speeds) and I'd place good money on it being a corrupt driver... fixing that though... hmm. If you've uninstalled the drivers then I'm not sure what else can be done.
Date: July 09, 2014 10:48AM
Hi Gaqv, thanks for the response, I was hoping you'd see this. :-)
When I first installed 8.1 I went 32bit, then I bought Wolfenstein and discovered it was 64bit only. So when I was running 32bit I had no issues with the 14.4 driver (latest from amd). Now I've re-installed as 64bit, used the 64bit amd driver and I get the recovery problem. I've not long got home and this morning windows update put in a heap of optional updates which I did install, mostly for 64bit system (20mb+) and one for defender. Just now checked updates again, the gpu just did a recovery as I was checking....grrrr, and I have another optional update for 64bit (21mb) which I'm getting right now. So yeah, I agree it might not be the card, given that it likely gets a flogging when I run Wolfenstein, which I've only had a couple of goes at it as I haven't really had the time for it, it runs just fine, and it works fine running videos. It's hooked up to a 40"tv hdmi maxed at 1920x1080.
So it seems to be totally random. I have a 900w psu so it's not a power issue, cpuid shows the card temp at 22c right now. 3 fans in the tower, not counting one on the psu and the system temp is 34c. Google tells me there's one hell of a lot of people having this issue, which seems to be driver related, and it's occurring on win7 as well. Oh well, back to throwing the slipper at the screen I guess. :-(

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: July 10, 2014 01:03PM
Posted by: chrislewis
First I would recommend to stop Windows from installing the drivers automatically. To do that follow the instructions here.

Then uninstall the AMD drivers through programs & features. I have heard some people have trouble using AMD uninstall utility so best not to use that.

After drivers are uninstalled use Display Driver Uninstaller which can be downloaded here. This should hopefully clean the system out of AMD files & registries.

I personally then use CCleaner which clears out more stuff but it's not entirely necessary unless your pedantic like me.

Once that's all done reinstall new drivers & hope that fixes it.

Date: July 10, 2014 01:54PM
After booting up tonight and having Firefox hang twice, together with three or four display adapter reset and recovery, I used the display uninstaller, ran ccleaner after the reboot and checked windows updates. It showed an amd 13.5 driver without a catalyst control centre at 117mb so I installed that, no reboot required and so far so good. I downloaded the 13.1 last night from the amd older drivers database so I have that one in the bag in case I have to try it.

Date: July 17, 2014 12:08AM
Last few days this has been driving me crazy. I've just bought an R7 250 2GB gpu which has to arrive from Melbourne by post. Meanwhile it resets the display three or more times after boot up. Then every five mins or so which makes the computer unusable. So I opened up the case thinking to swap the card with one from another computer and discovered the other card doesn't have hdmi so I put the card back into a different pci-e slot, swapping it with an express wireless card. It's been running for about 15 minutes now and no problems at all. Go figure.....?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy