F1 board game - UPDATED - pics fixed
Date: January 18, 2014 01:16AM
Posted by: Elio2013
Dear all

Here is something different! I happily I came across this website recently and contacted the host Jani [www.freeleo.hu]
and read all about his racing car board game. Basic to look at but better than the commercially available board games like Formula De.

I was very excited to find that someone else had created a board game for motor racing as I made one as kid in the 1980s and on an off I carried on developing it. A nice alternative to GP3, more "hands on" and practical. It makes a change to being on the computer and tests drawing skills. I've nearly every circuit and championship you can imagine and it all packs away into a box that fits on your lap.

I first got into F1 in 1985 (aged 11) when I went to the European GP. Now aged 39 I have changed and added to it a lot over the years. I use mini "cars" which are made out of plastic that stick to the metal board to make it all magnetic and stop bits flying off - an idea I got from a travel Monopoly set in 1995.

I'd be delighted to share with you what I have made and tell you what materials I have used, so you could have a go.

Here are some photos. Championships include: F1, F2, F3, F2000, Indycar, FF1600, BTCC, DTM, WSC, CAN-AM, ALMS, ATCC, WTCC, MotoGP, 500cc.

1. The plastic box I keep the game in. I use it as a lap 'table' to play the game. The file is to keep records of the races. All available from Staples or similar

2. Inside the box, showing the Alabama Indycar track in a plastic cover

3. The 100+ plastic pots that contain the tiny cars. Pots used to contain photo film and are not easy to get now. Gold pots are F1 (2012 to 1937), Red are F3000, Purple are F3, Green are Sports Cars, Yellow are Touring cars, Blue is MotoGP and Pink is Indycar. I have a separate Rally game in its own box.

4. The F1 1993 carset with pen to show scale

5. Close up of 1993 car set. Not brilliant drawing skill, could be better if done on the PC by the idea is that it is all done without a PC to have a break from the screen. Takes me about 5 hours to make a carset and about 1 hour to draw a track.

6. Small tracks, there are about 140 of them, a bit bigger than A5! Name a track, bet I've got it!

7. Modern Monaco (I have a pre-1970 one too).

8. Ready to start a game, 1985 WSC at Spa

9. Close up of race start

10. Large scale track (A4) Suzuka. Some tracks such as Montreal and Paul Ricard just don't fit the small scale and shape, Indy 500 another example.

11. Record of races

12. Championship table, F1 2012

So that's it! Let me know if you'd like to know more or make your own.

So I hope you find this interesting. you do let me know! If you can tell me how to add photo here I will or I can email them to those interested. I am considering making a website to share this and show how you can make one.

Elio

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2014 01:11AM by Elio2013.
Re: F1 board game - UPDATED - pics fixed
Date: July 21, 2014 03:08PM
Posted by: Aliwag10
how do you play it?
Date: August 12, 2014 05:57PM
Posted by: danm
How do you play this!? It looks brilliant!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: August 12, 2014 10:02PM
Posted by: anze89
rules are in the link www.freeleo.hu

Date: September 04, 2014 12:07AM
Posted by: EC83
Looks like loads of fun. I designed a game similar to this once, but with the track(Which was my own design) divided into segments like a Snakes & Ladders game, and played the same way. Was always fun to play it. This looks like you've put a lot of time and effort into it, which is awesome.
Would be a brilliant game to play!

Date: September 20, 2014 06:35PM
Posted by: Elio2013
Back on the forum after a long gap!

Glad to finally get some feedback on my motorsport board game. It is indeed a lot of fun and quite addictive. It makes a change fro being on a the computer.

The rules and how I play it ...

I think the way that Hungarian chap plays his game is rather over complicated. When I was a kid in the 1980s (40 now!) I used to draw the tracks with a 'snakes and ladders' type grid. But I found that they were not needed to judge how far to move cars on each time. Its a bit like playing a bass guitar without the frets on the neck. Once you've played for a while you don't need it. I use two dice with coloured spots. Once give the speed / distance per car per 'turn'. If the car gets a red dot then anther dice is rolled which can result in a spin or mechanical problem or similar. I sometimes use a third dice for weather.

As I said, I am happy to help anyone make their own!

Cheers.

Elio
Date: September 25, 2014 02:59PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Very cool!

Date: October 01, 2014 09:43PM
Posted by: stopper-12
Brilliant idea and concept... Hats off to you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy