Anyone familiar with the workings of DNS?

Posted by mortal 
Anyone familiar with the workings of DNS?
Date: September 18, 2013 11:14PM
Posted by: mortal
I really need some help with this dns stuff if anyone knows all about domain forwarding.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Re: Anyone familiar with the workings of DNS?
Date: September 22, 2013 04:51PM
Posted by: senninho
This is a large portion of my day job, as it happens. Maybe I can help?

Date: September 25, 2013 10:50PM
Posted by: mortal
I registered a domain name, to use it to view an ip camera. (example) mydomain.com. This domain is registered on freedns.afraid.org which is not really free as I have to pay for domain registration.
It has a sub-domain which re-directs to my ip and port. (example) test.mydomain.com:81
The top domain cannot have a port added to the ip, as it returns an invalid ip address in the configuration, so the sub-domain which allows a port in the configuration has to be used.
I use a dns updater as I have a dynamic ip, if I had a static ip I would not need a domain as I could just use the static ip and port as it would never change. However, as my ip is dynamic and does change I need to use a domain which can have my ip updated by an updating script tool. The updater works fine.
So, why is it that my top domain returns nothing when tested but the sub-domain works fine and takes me to my camera log in page?

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2013 11:21PM by mortal.
Date: October 01, 2013 02:33PM
Posted by: senninho
It's likely that the root domain and sub-domain are pointing in different ways - your root record is likely to be of type 'A', which can only point to a specific IP address, whereas your sub-domain will likely be a CNAME record, which can point at your dynamic DNS address. If you want, you could PM me your domain name and I can double-check this for you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy