Animated Flag Packs 2006/1995/1994/1993/1991/1988/1982 [Updated]

Posted by ramf1v 
You definitely going to need some motion blur when you render, for the frames I'd suggest animating over 100 frames and render out every 10th frame.
You can resize the current flag sequence, or just use an empty slot if there is one, render out at 512 x 512 and add to the flag sequence in After Effects.
Also you need to make sure your blades animate smoothly over the 100 frames, you do this using the Curve Editor.
I know your a noob, but see how you get on, you seem keen to learn ;-) just ask if you need direction.
Here's a couple of vids that might help you

Motion Blur

Smooth Looping

F1Dev
Thanks for the suggestions. There are only 18 frames at the moment; however, it is working in-game and that’s quite fun.
It was done using Photoshop+GP4Builder+Slimtex;) I agree with you, it needs about 100 frames. Of course, your flags are history;-)
Ah right. I was assuming you were using 3ds Max to make it, It's difficult to see what methods your using without screen grabs.

There's no need to loose any of the current flags, depending on what flag sequence you are using.

You can use a 512 x 512 section for the blades and leave the flags intact.

Also you can resize the tga sequence to 2048 x 2048 and reposition the flags to give you more area's for animations.

Check out the AE tutorial, the method is pretty much the same in PS.

[ramissin.blogspot.ca]

I've just realized, I don't think I posted the inividual single flag sequences, I was going to release them with PS actions that build the .tga sequences.

F1Dev

Yes, I figured you forgot that I wasn’t using 3ds Max. Your flags will be replaced when everything else is finished. I intend to look carefully at your suggested methods. Sorry about the poor quality video. It’s done with SnagIt. I just wanted to get the idea across. There are 18 frames as mentioned earlier and they are mapped on 4 X 36 sided Prisms with a Z rotation the 36 sided Prisms (two sided) the mapping is on the side on the prism also. So at the moment, it’s far from perfect but a long way from a still texture with a blur.

I’m guessing you used the puppet feature of Photoshop to do the flags. You’ve done a lovely job with them and yes, I did check out ramissin.blogspot.ca

Anyway thanks for your help and suggestions,
G
Cool, you can discover great things when experimenting, I'm itching to get back into modding, but have to wait for my new laptop to come back from the reapair shop. :(
The muppets are taking 3 weeks to fit a new HD.

anyway that flag animations were done entirley in Max using a method similar to this....

[vitsly.wordpress.com]

Making the flag was fun, rendering out the flags was tedious ;-)

F1Dev
I did a quick test with motion blur in Max and came up with this.....

After a bit of experimenting I found only 3 frames of animation were needed to get the effect, the above animation is the same 3 frame sequence repeated twice.
I tested it using atx_flag_eng sequence (which is 6 frames long), agip flag sequence is too long for this (10 frames), unless you maybe want to add some flashing navigation lights on the helicopter. :-)
I'm going to play with it later and see what I can come up with.

F1Dev
it looks really nice for only 3 frames !

I did a lot of testing to get my rotor blades working. I got close few times using Photoshop and After Effects but nothing as clean as what you show. I expanded your flags to 1024 X 1536 and applied blades to that canvas, redid the mapping and wa’la. In end, my manually created blades worked best in-game and I have full intention of revisiting it after thinking about the complete process.
If of course my videos are not as clean also. I was mostly showing that it was done and working in game.
I like your chosen flag sequence.
Yeah, as usual it's getting it looking right in game ;-)

I'm testing the animation now, but it seems the animation speed limitation is going to restrict the effect, I might try doubling up the blades to see if that helps smooth out the jerkiness.

F1Dev
I made a gif showing the framerate of the atx sequence. It's a bit slow for a good effect.

Here I pushed up the frame rate a little, sadly we can't get this speed in game, but it looks cool (H)

Time to open the box, get out, and start thinking, there may be a way ;-)

F1Dev
Haha, fantastic!

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Did you try stacking two more rotor blades. Another thing I tried was removing the blur from the leading edge.
yup but you can't offset the animation, I was going to try overlapping an agip with an atx, but I've been side tracked by another idea. ;-)
Actually It doesn't look too bad in game, it's faster than the gif made , must be frame drop when grabbing.
It may look better when I tweak the motion blur.

F1Dev
In the builder I duplicated the part separate with Z turn a number of degrees.

looking good;)

I am sure you do have your own ideas also. Good luck, happy testing.
hmm, yes i thought of that too, but thought the animation would run at the same speed, i was going to try blanking every other frame, offsetting (rotating) and duplicating.

I have a question......hopefully Lo2k will see this........is it possible to have transparency (full or semi) on car textures ? I'm thinking no, because the alpha on cars controls the reflection.

I'm sure asked this years ago. ;)

F1Dev
Ok, i answered my own question.....nope. I was going to attach the heli to a car model but no transparency or texture animation means no-go.

So I attached a 3d model instead, it looks pretty cool following the cars round the track.
The rotor texture is going to need some imagination tho :-) maybe gradient fade it against the sky.

F1Dev
Yes, I also thought of this yesterday and here is why.

&feature=relmfu

I was thinking of using a car with the camera(I)
Cool views,

auscain
I was thinking of using a car with the camera

You mean real time ? as you probably know you can do that with tweaker, but the camera movement is very slow even when using the shift speed key.

For the heli's I think the best option will be strategically placed ones rendered from different angles, depending on where you place them.

Just out of interest does anyone know the model name of the helis used for TV ? or something close to it..... If I can find a decent model I can render the bespoke angles for the track.

F1Dev
A flat vertical with 6 frames of movement of the helicopter body, with rotor blade frames matching the movement.(subtle frames of movement)

Pdf 180 kb [www.bellhelicopter.com]

Bell VH-BTV

BELL 206 JETRANGER VH-ZMF

Channel 7,9 and 10 in Australia
Sweet, good reference, thx, I found a quality free model already.....:-)

[thefree3dmodels.com]

F1Dev
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy