GEOFF CRAMMOND INTERVIEW (2009) in retrogamer

Posted by BAR#10 
GEOFF CRAMMOND INTERVIEW (2009) in retrogamer
Date: September 29, 2010 04:52PM
Posted by: BAR#10
as ZAZ first mentioned in another thread, there was a recent interview with Sir Geoff
n late 2009 RetroGamer had an interview with GEOFF CRAMMOND.
Damien McFerran conducted it and can be read here [www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk]

edit; the scan upload is from the writer himself, so i assume is ok.

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 05:04PM by BAR#10.
Re: GEOFF CRAMMOND INTERVIEW (2009) in retrogamer
Date: September 29, 2010 05:24PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
That's a very interesting interview, thanks for posting, and thanks ZaZ for mentioning it earlier.

I don't know if he'd ever come back and do Grand Prix 5, but of course it would be fantastic if it happened. Its one thing having unfinished business, but actually assembling a team and gathering data is another matter. The license wouldn't be necessary, because within a few weeks there would be livery and shape upgrades anyway.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 29, 2010 06:37PM
Posted by: burazel
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>The license
> wouldn't be necessary, because within a few weeks
> there would be livery and shape upgrades anyway.

totally agree with you.
Date: September 29, 2010 06:55PM
Posted by: Lo2k
I thought he was retired but from that interview, it sounds he only made a pit stop :) (a looong pit stop of 7 years though).
I hope he could have the chance again to amaze us with a new racing game in future, who knows ?

Date: September 29, 2010 07:07PM
Posted by: senna9194
Lo2k Wrote:
> I thought he was retired but from that interview,
> it sounds he only made a pit stop :) (a looong pit
> stop of 7 years though).
> I hope he could have the chance again to amaze us
> with a new racing game in future, who knows ?

he wrote that during his pitstop there was a dumb mechanic who was having probs to swap the left front tyre,and that slowed him for 7 years;)

My GPGSL Career
Date: September 29, 2010 07:17PM
Posted by: vbc
Wow, I really liked that interview.

Yes, I still find it difficult to choose between GP3 and GP4 as the best game. Of course GP4 graphics are much, much better ... something similar to what F1 2010 graphics are compared with GP4.

GP3 had dynamic weather for the first time, physics are very well programmed ... not perfectly but they are still great ... in GP32k debris collision was added and I do not recall what big differences in terms of simulation were added in GP4 , maybe more options for diferential configuration in the setup menu but no much more.

I think of GP4 as a graphical update of GP3, that's why I rate them both very high. It seems that since 2002, we have not seen any other game that focuses first in physics than anything else. I use the word "game", because I think only F1 teams have and will have proper "simulators" ... of course I prefer a game like GPx than any arcade game out there (you know which ones I mean).

Perhaps only GP5 would beat these two fantastic games ... the idea of making GP5 without F1 license ... that is, without F1 cars and tracks ... is quiet attractive, it would be risky in legal terms; but the GPX community (I only made one track for GP3 and a little addon) could easily update physics, cars and tracks to make it the best F1 game ever, something that big companies are failing to do recently because they focus on graphics and arcade audience.

Greetings to all GPX fans.

Thanks GP3Hotlaps
Date: September 29, 2010 07:43PM
Posted by: Gigi4
He could make a game based on other open wheel challenge like Formula 3 (something like REVS).

Date: September 29, 2010 08:15PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Yep or he could create a general racing engine and allow all racing genres to be developped by communities (like rFactor tried to do).

Date: September 29, 2010 08:47PM
Posted by: Pedersen
Great interview.

For me, GP32k is by far the best in the GPx Series, i play it alot these days. I dont know what it is, but i cant play GP4 for a longer period of time, i do some occasional races, sure it looks fantastic and it feels kinda like gp3 2k, but somehow not, feel abit un connected sort of speak.

I hope GP5 will happend, with or without the license i really dont think that matters as been said in the topic, it will be fixed by the community.

But wasnt GP4 supposed to be impossible to edit??
Date: September 29, 2010 09:08PM
Posted by: MARSALA
O M G ;)

Things are starting to happen let's hope.
Date: September 29, 2010 11:00PM
Posted by: mansell92
He also corrects the notion that he hated GPx being modded - to quote, what the community has done "pleases" him.

GP5 isn't quite the no-hoper previously imagined by us lot either, although still unlikely.
Date: September 30, 2010 01:06AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Probably still unlikely, but GP5 might not be as impossible as we all thought. I say this sitting here now knowing that Sega are making Sonic 4. So, you never know :)
Date: September 30, 2010 01:15AM
Posted by: ramf1v
Like journalists we're all trying to reads things into what he said/meant......but if he did decide to create gp5, his staff/dev crew are right here in this forum....let's not forget what certain members of this community have achieved since it's conception .
Date: September 30, 2010 02:38AM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
Awesome interview!

However, I have to say.. they show pictures how our community have updated and modified the game and write a little text under them.
I would really like to hear what Crammond himself have to say what everyone at, for example this site, have done to make the game look so beautiful!!

He must feel good about it for one thing, I mean, because of this alot of people still play his game from 2002.
And I think somewhere inside, he feels like he want to develop a new game as a follow up because of the reason I just mentioned!

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Date: September 30, 2010 03:12AM
Posted by: pimpones1
Geoff is a legend.
he always had my respect and he always will.

hehe would be amazing to have a ''GP5'' made my him just when the codemaster released F1 2010.
Date: September 30, 2010 05:39AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Maybe he could make GP4 2k10 ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 30, 2010 07:53AM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Maybe he can work with developers on this forum to help make a GP5! ;)

Date: September 30, 2010 08:06AM
Posted by: Jorpaes
If you did a GP4 (aka GP5) with a good possibility of online play for me would already be too good. GP4 play with friends over the Internet would be a dream.
Now, so long "pitstop" ... is it prohibited him from making any game related to F1 and he retired? As far as this interview is real?

Forgive my poor English.

Date: September 30, 2010 02:48PM
Posted by: Buzz Hornet
Fingers crossed :)
Date: September 30, 2010 07:18PM
Posted by: Jorpaes
Buzz Hornet Wrote:
> Fingers crossed :)

Hands and feet.(B)

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy