blank screen in windows 7 [Fixed W00t!]

Posted by jill 
blank screen in windows 7 [Fixed W00t!]
Date: August 31, 2010 01:44AM
Posted by: jill
Hi guys,
I have just joined this forum as this issue is seriously bugging me and I would appreciate any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this.

I have recently got a new HP Pavilion laptop and tried to install GP4 on it. After installing and going to run I get nothing but a blank screen. I know other people have had this issue as well but I think this is different to the others. I have tried running it in just about every different compatabilty mode there is, i've reinstalled the game a few times, tried running as 'administrator', running with visual themes disabled and preety much everything else.

My main laptop specs are:
Intel Core i5 2.27GHz processor with, Windows 7 home edition 64-bit OS, 6GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce G105M graphics card with 512MB dedicated memory, DirectX version 10.
Also, I do not think it is a graphics card issue as I have checked and I have the latest driver installed. And the amazing thing is, i've tried this game on an almost identical laptop and the game booted up 1st time of asking with no real issues! That laptop is also HP Pavilion and also has Windows 7 home edition, 64-bit OS.

Plus one other thing; if I go to troubleshoot compatability on the GP4.exe and I test the compatability for any version of windows, instead of starting up I get the following error message:
Unable to load file: f1system.txt. Please reinstall Grand Prix 4. Is this just a random error message or is this the main issue? Could someone explain what I should do with the 'f1system' file?

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to read this message and if anyone has the time to answer this I would be hugely grateful.
All the best to you all,
Jill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2010 06:31AM by mortal.
Re: blank screen in windows 7
Date: August 31, 2010 12:09PM
Posted by: mortal
; Grand Prix 4 System File - do not edit
save_state_on_exit = true
install_level = full
minimum_allowable_version = 0
language_name = english
animation_quality = medium

First, "Hi Jill", and welcome to the forums. :-) Above you can see the contents of the f1system.txt. Save it to a text file to your GP4 dir. GP4 should install that during a full installation. For compatibility, right click the GP4.exe and set to WinXP SP2 or 3 mode.
Please install gpx_patch and set verbosity to high, and cpu to 1, then if GP4 does a forced exit, an error log will be created, please post the log for me to look at. Good luck, :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 31, 2010 02:15PM
Posted by: msater
If GPxPatch is installed, I have a suspicion your error message won't happen. Try installing GPxPatch without replacing f1system.txt and see what happens.

GPxPatch site and d/l link: [www.xs4all.nl]

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: August 31, 2010 07:44PM
Hi there,
first of all i would like to say thank you for the replys you have sent.:-)
To mortal, im sorry i probaly did not make myself clear. The f1system file is already installed in the GP4 directory, with the same settings as the ones you have described. That is why i believe this is a random error message. I have also tried all compatability modes, not one of them works.

Anyway i did what you said and installed GPx_Patch and did the appropriate settings. But I still get a blank screen and no error log appears when I End Task? So am i doing something wrong? I have used mods for GP4 in the past, so I know exactly what you mean about the error log but it does not appear. Something tells me that this laptop just will not play GP4.:(

Ok thanks again.
Date: August 31, 2010 11:14PM
Posted by: msater
jill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi there,
> first of all i would like to say thank you for the
> replys you have sent.:-)
> To mortal, im sorry i probaly did not make myself
> clear. The f1system file is already installed in
> the GP4 directory, with the same settings as the
> ones you have described. That is why i believe
> this is a random error message. I have also tried
> all compatability modes, not one of them works.
>
> Anyway i did what you said and installed GPx_Patch
> and did the appropriate settings. But I still get
> a blank screen and no error log appears when I End
> Task? So am i doing something wrong? I have used
> mods for GP4 in the past, so I know exactly what
> you mean about the error log but it does not
> appear. Something tells me that this laptop just
> will not play GP4.:(
>
> Ok thanks again.

They'll be a reason, I can guarantee you. Try deleting f1system.txt and see what happens. You know what CSM is? Download it from [www.gp4db.com] and install it. Download a CSM mod from the same site (2006 is very good) and install it. If you get the admin warning, no worries, put in Windows 95/98 compatibility mode and give it admin rights. When I find the link to the latest version of CSM, I'll post it in this thread.

See if the error still happens. If it does, see if you can get an error log. If you can't get that...I'll think about it if we get there (which it hopefully won't). If the error doesn't happen, well, that's good!

Also put your gp4.exe in Windows 95/98 compatibility mode (the same as the one with CSM) and do the same with GPxPatch. Test with and without these settings, and report your findings here.

It's a good PC, it should play GP4 quite well :)

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2010 11:15PM by msater.
Date: August 31, 2010 11:16PM
OK. I got that one wrong! :-) If you have the original CD, I would delete the Infogrames dir, then run CCCleaner and strip redundant entries from the registry. re-boot and re-install. Run once, save and exit, remove the cd. Run the 9.6 official patch, install the v1.02no_cd. Run once and exit, install gpx_patch. Theoretically it should run, however I can say that a blank screen is usually a driver display issue, therefore before trying any of the above, I would roll back the drivers to an earlier version if you can and test. The error log from gpx will only appear if GP4 makes it's own forced exit, ie: a ctd. Make sure you have the correct compatibility settings and that the exe is set to run on 1 cpu, (google affinity settings on forcing the exe to use 1 cpu).
If you do not have the original CD, it is difficult for me to help you as I do not know exactly what it is that you have there. You could have a corrupted torrent for all I know and whatever I suggest will not help you at all.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: September 01, 2010 08:49PM
hi again

1st to msater thanks for your reply, i tried deleting the file, makes no differnece still get error message.
And well as for CSM; this has opened up a whole load of problems for me lol. :-O 1st, cant get the decrypted exe to work as apprantly my computer does not have binkw32.dll, which i know is an old error message. Then i cant get the csm updater to work which is really frustrating as this has never happened b4! It says i need to change it to administrator for it to work which i have tried 100 times. ive also tried changing the compatability settings as well but to no avail, still get the error message. Therfore i cannot get the proper decripted exe to install. So yeah, i didnt think downloading csm would be such an issue. As for running GPx.Patch in windows 95/98; tried that still same problem.

@ mortal, once again thanks for the help, yeah your right about the error log thing. It will not create unless its a forced exit, which is not what is happening. Yeah i checked the affinity settings and set it to 1 only, still didn't work. I rollbacked the driver but that was a disaster, as i then got a very basic display video card and that didnt run the game either! So now il probaly try doing as you suggested, deleting the files and registry but i see the same thing happening again. And yes i do have the original CD with the official Patch as well. So at the moment nothing is working i really am stuck as to what the problem(s) may be. :(

Just a thougth; you dont think its anything to do with the processor? I have intel i5, do you no if this game has been tested on this?

Once again, thanks for your help and your patience, i really hope this problem can be solved.
Jill
Date: September 02, 2010 12:54AM
We're working on it. :-) I have no idea on i5 processor. Check the other comp, and see what the processor is, it could well be the processor. But as you say, you set the affinity to one cpu and that should have done the trick. By rolling back the drivers, I meant to uninstall, then re-install an earlier driver, preferably one compatible with DX8 or 9. You can download the decrypted v1.02 from this site, use the 'jump to' menu top right below the banner, look in GP4/Patches. Uploaded by Lo2k I think.
CSM works on W7, and if you are still having problems, send a pm to Zaz (Ron) as he is the author of the software. I recall I had similar problems after upping to W7 and Ron solved the problem for me in about 5 minutes. Also link him to this thread. :-)
You could download the bink file and drop it into the GP4 dir, that could help as bink is related to the video in GP4. A blank screen is usually always graphic related ok.

Date: September 02, 2010 02:27AM
thank you, i will try downloading from this site and tell you what happened. just strange as i have always used gp4_database to download mods and stuff and have never had problems before.

Yeah the other laptop i tried it on is AMD Athlon dual core processor, 64-bit windows 7 home edition, it worked fine on that but with a small display problem as it wouldn fit the entire screen.
thanks again.
Date: September 02, 2010 02:40AM
Cool, let us know how you get on. :-)

Date: September 02, 2010 03:15AM
hey great news!!! i downloaded the decypted exe from this site and.....
it works!!!(Y) booted up no issues whatsoever PO is excellant and graphics look great. I cant believe after all that, all i needed to do was have the decrypted exe. so there must be some compatability issue with the original CD or something, but alas; only half the problem solved. I've emailed ZaZ and told him about the CSM issues which btw are still occurring. Keeps asking for Administrative rights on the updater.

But for now thanks for all your help. :-)
Date: September 02, 2010 06:30AM
The bill is in the mail. :-)

Re: blank screen in windows 7 [Fixed W00t!]
Date: September 02, 2010 11:23AM
Posted by: ZaZ
Make sure you have the latest ZaZ Gp4 Tools and install it.
And after installing make sure you remove all the compatibility flags from my tools. These are not necessary, and could even bite you in the behind in certain situations :)
Then run the updater again.

If that still doesn't solve the problem you could try a few things:
Right click on a empty space in your gp4 folder and select properties. Navigate to the security tab, select 'edit' and then 'Users' and give them all permissions. (i recommend doing this anyway as then all other (older) tools shouldn't have real issues with gp4).
Run gp4 as admin or with gpxpatch (which will automatically elevate as admin because it has the word 'patch' in the filename) and let it autocalibrate its display settings and then quit gp4.

These steps shouldn't be necessary, so If it turns out in your case the were necessary, please let me know.
If this still doesn't solve your problems, feel free to contact me on msn and I'm sure we will get your csm/gp4 running

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Date: September 02, 2010 10:00PM
thanks a lot ZaZ,
this version works a treat, must of downloaded an older run last time. got the updater working now, all looks good. thanks for every1s help from the start!:-)
with your great help, im playing GP4 again, which didnt seem likely 2 days ago.
all the best:-)
Date: September 03, 2010 12:14AM
Posted by: Mr Pibb
Awwww, don't you just love a happy ending...

Date: September 03, 2010 04:11AM
I love a Happy Ending! Always costs extra though. ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy