Vista Support

Posted by slicer 
Vista Support
Date: July 17, 2010 10:54PM
Posted by: slicer
I recently just installed GP4 on my computer, a brand new one that can run most games from 2007 very nicely. But I seem to get many errors while trying to use CSM and all of the modding tools. Could it be because I am running Vista?
Re: Vista Support
Date: July 17, 2010 11:37PM
Posted by: ralv585
Make sure it's run in XP compatibility mode

Date: July 17, 2010 11:41PM
Posted by: Excalibur
slicer écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could it be because I am running Vista?

Yes, Vista is the worst system ever made.
Vista= danger
Smoking vista may cause death
Leave Vista out of reach from children
If you watch Vista, rinse your eyes with cold water and call the emergency

....or run GP4 in XP or 98 compatibility mode ;)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: July 18, 2010 12:31AM
Posted by: ralv585
I've been running vista for over two years now, it's actually really good.

I also have windows 7 on another machine, the genuine differences, apart from cosmetic, between the two is zero.

Maybe vista wasn't great at the start, but there are no problems with it now, or for the last couple of years.

Date: July 18, 2010 01:56AM
Well GP4 runs almost perfectly. I am talking about the CSM and GPXpatch stuff. You mean to say those things work as well, or should?
Date: July 18, 2010 02:04AM
Posted by: raskar
ralv585 écrivait:
> I've been running vista for over two years now,
> it's actually really good.
>
> I also have windows 7 on another machine, the
> genuine differences, apart from cosmetic, between
> the two is zero.
>
> Maybe vista wasn't great at the start, but there
> are no problems with it now, or for the last
> couple of years.

+1
Date: July 18, 2010 02:07AM
Posted by: Bigbrother
vista is better after 3 service packs, well actually it were fix packs

windows 7 is from the start better then vista with the 3 packs there is no doubt about it.
Date: July 18, 2010 03:23AM
Posted by: Excalibur
ralv585 écrivait:
> I've been running vista for over two years now,
> it's actually really good.
>
> I also have windows 7 on another machine, the
> genuine differences, apart from cosmetic, between
> the two is zero.
>
> Maybe vista wasn't great at the start, but there
> are no problems with it now, or for the last
> couple of years.

I used Vista during 2 years. The system was too "heavy". I had also lots of problem with SP1. Maybe it is better now with the last SP and fixes but Seven is more performant, less resource hungry (first with the beta version and Ultimate one), even if it uses Vista's kernel. I noticed a significative improvement with some applications and games... But anyway, I was kidding with Vista on my 1st post.

@Slicer: Did you install GP4 correctly step by step until CSM installation. For GPxPatch, try to run under Windows XP compatibility mode (also CSM)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: July 19, 2010 01:20AM
Posted by: noncon
And of course run the program as Administrator.

The only way I got CSM to work in Win 7 64 was to copy my entire GP4 w/CSM from an XP installation. To get the entries in the registry, I had to install GP4/CSM on Win 7, then deleted all the folders and copied/paste from the XP installation.

KJ
Date: July 19, 2010 02:53AM
I've tried running both in compatibility mode for XP. It did nothing.
Date: July 19, 2010 12:01PM
Posted by: harjinator
have you still got UAC enabled? this can prevent CSM writing to the program files folder because it needs admin privalages.

On the 7/Vista debate - Vista is far superior to 7 in my opinion. 7's taskbar is unusable, it's had useful features removed (no built in basic photo fixer?), uses more ram on both my systems than vista does, and has completely broken permissions systems for external drives when swapping between my vista and 7 systems. the only benefit i've found to 7 is the better built in media support. The only reason vista gets bad press is at launch, the world wasn't ready for it in terms of their PC specs. I was, and never had a single issue with it. 7, however, blue screened and then died on me 17 seconds after first installing it (after installing some random update), thus requiring another reinstall....

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy