CSM Question

Posted by noncon 
CSM Question
Date: March 06, 2010 04:07AM
Posted by: noncon
I noticed in the \Data\Cars folder in CSM there are car shapes and texture files. But when I load CSM, it loads my cars.wad file in the Data\Wadcache folder, which I have been updating with new cars. How do I get CSM to use the files in the data\cars folder? It would be easier to update these folder, instead of the cars.wad file.

I wish there was full documentation for CSM so many options, it is confusing. Yes I know there is a website, but it could take days to get a response there.

Thanks!
KJ
Re: CSM Question
Date: March 06, 2010 04:37AM
Posted by: mortal
CSM updates the wad, using the data in the data/cars folder. On exit, it restores the wad unless you have auto restore de-selected.
When you use CSM, you do not touch the wad. That is what CSM is for, its job is to patch the wad with the files in the data/cars folder.
For CSM to run correctly, you need to have a clean original cars.wad, without that, CSM will not load the data into the wad.
So, do not update the wad manually, place your updated textures into the correct cars/ folder. Make sure the cars config.ini file reflects any changes, such as file naming conventions, otherwise csm will not load the data. If you change file names in the cars config, you should also reflect those changes in the global vars file, that is where CSM looks first, for loading, merging and swapping data, if this data does not match what is actually in the folders, things can get messy very quickly lol. ;-)
In a nutshell, keep your cotton pickin' hands off the wad! The only time you would compile a wad is when you are NOT using CSM. When you compile your own wad, you back-up the original, then replace the original with your compiled wad and run GP4 direct from gpx.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 06, 2010 10:09PM
The cars.wad in the GP4 directory I found out, always have to be a clean one.

The one in the Data\Wadcache folder is the one I update, and when CSM starts, it moves this one to the GP4 directory.

Everything in the \Data\Cars folder never moves, when starting CSM or after restoring.

I did notice when starting CSM, there is a mention about manual wad additions. Perhaps I did something to turn off the feature where it loads from the Data\Cars folder. Which is what I'm trying to find.

Thanks!
KJ
Date: March 07, 2010 06:07AM
Posted by: mortal
Doing that is defeating the purpose of CSM isn't it? Can you zip your entire settings folder and upload it for me please, anywhere but crapidshare thanks. Mediafire is good.
Select the mod in csm, then file options. Uncheck wadcache. Right click the mod, select delete the wad cache. CSM is now forced to load from the folders, but only if the setting files are correct. I'd like to see them please. :-) pm me the link.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 07, 2010 09:10AM
Posted by: Bigbrother
Just delete the content of the folder wadcache in your mod and let csm load the game. It will select everything that is needed. After you run the game let the game restore, when you want to adjust files you just put them in the right folder. Cars / Helmets, ... when you have done that and you start csm backup it will notice new files and will automatic update your cars.wad or anim.wad !

You NEVER adjust files in the cars or anim.wad in the wadcache folder !!!!!!!!!
Date: March 08, 2010 01:43AM
Mortal/Bigbrother thanks! Removing the files from the folder wadcache seems to have worked. It rebuilt a new cars.wad from the Data\Cars folders, sure it is crashing without my old cars.wad there, but I can figure that one out, probably a missing texture.

Thanks again

KJ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy