Aaaah! Those were the days, sweet sweet memories :) looks like the good days are returning!

Posted by ralv585 
My story began back on my commodore Amiga 600 plus. I had Grand Prix 2 given to me by my uncle when I was about ten. (who would later become my nemesis of the series). I used to play it with a joy stick and all the aids on and could only drive Hockenheim manly because it was a simple track at the time and I could win! Take that Berger. Then Gp3 came out and I would go around to my uncles twice a week to play. I was always Hill and he was Herbert as I think I remember. We would play the multilayer shared race and that @#$%& beat me every time by a good thirty seconds. He lived for racing and raced himself but unfortunately had an illness/disability that meant he had to stop in his early twenty's. I think the game was the next best thing he could do and he played it religiously. Sadly he's not here any more and I didn't play the game for awhile after that. Then one day out of the blue I was in a shop with my mate who was buying a game and noticed that GP4 was on the shelf. I couldn't believe it I never even heard it was coming out. I brought it straight away and flew home on my bike. stuck it on. I will always remember the first race my mate was sat with me and I raced 100% of Monaco with Mika in the McLaren. He was telling me the distance I was ahead because I was so busy concentrating on the race. I crashed five laps from the end whilst leading! You @#@@###!!! but that's why I love it and still play all the time. Its more than a game its like an old friend a part of my past. Thanks so much to the people in this forum for keeping the game alive I am forever grateful. cheers!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2009 11:55PM by sonofjorel88.
Great post. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
sonofjorel88 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My story began back on my commodore Amiga 600
> plus. I had Grand Prix 2 given to me by my uncle
> when I was about ten. (who would later become my
> nemesis of the series). I used to play it with a
> joy stick and all the aids on and could only drive
> Hockenheim manly because it was a simple track at
> the time and I could win! Take that Berger. Then
> Gp3 came out and I would go around to my uncles
> twice a week to play. I was always Hill and he was
> Herbert as I think I remember. We would play the
> multilayer shared race and that @#$%& beat me
> every time by a good thirty seconds. He lived for
> racing and raced himself but unfortunately had an
> illness/disability that meant he had to stop in
> his early twenty's. I think the game was the next
> best thing he could do and he played it
> religiously. Sadly he's not here any more and I
> didn't the game for awhile after that. Then one
> day out of the blue I was in a shop with my mate
> who was buying a game and noticed that GP4 was on
> the shelf. I couldn't believe it I never even
> heard it was coming out. I brought it straight
> away and flew home on my bike. stuck it on. I will
> always remember the first race my mate was sat
> with me and I raced 100% of Monaco with Mika in
> the McLaren. He was telling me the distance I was
> ahead because I was so busy concentrating on the
> race. I crashed five laps from the end whilst
> leading! You @#@@###!!! but that's why I love it
> and still play all the time. Its more than a game
> its like an old friend a part of my past. Thanks
> so much to the people in this forum for keeping
> the game alive I am forever grateful. cheers!

Cool stuff sonor - same here! I also played GP2 with a joystick - it was fun but now I realised it's even more unrealistic than with a keyboard.

But this game does that to you...
Great post sonofjorel88

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
The nightmare continued there. I was running about 2.5 seconds behind the Man when I tried an optimistic passing move at the 2nd to last right hander before the mini tunnel when I just sped off in a straight line with nothing I could do. I lost again - this time by 60 vs 69...

You should have treated him to a bit of his own medicine and taken him out to win the championship by a point. After all, who cares if you rob the computer? cept you maybe, but meh

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don’t think he has come to apologize."

Ayrton Senna (1960 - 1994)
If codemasters do an F1 game it will be an "idiots's racesim". Kind of easy input type adjustments like the rally game. Grid, though visually stunning and a great game was a paint and drive racing game. Simbin's GTR series is real simulation but its too much for most people.
The impending problem is that we have to admit that GP4 is old and a PURE PC sim. The next iteration, "GP5" or what ever will most likely be on XBOX360/PS3 and then ported to PC like most games. Which can make it a hell of a sh***y sim racer for PC.

The heart to making a good F1 racer has to do with physics, downforce and braking realism. Lets hope we don't get an EA NFS Pro Street!!!!!

===========================================================================
Core i7 920@ 3.8, 3x2gig DDR3 ram, GA X58 UD5 mobo, Powercolor ATI HD 5850 1gig, Cheiftec 750W, CM HAF 922 case.
Shop lifters of the world, unite and take over.
I bought this game in 2002 pre-owned for £14.99, still got the box, a bit battered and squashed, the original cd bit the dust a while ago....looked more like a skating rink ;).
I only re-installed it a few weeks ago, first thing I did was go searching for updates and mods , fully expecting to find only 404's.
Now I can't put it down...I've been seriously bitten by the modding bug...hell of a steep learning curve , but I'm getting there.....slowly.
I don't have a steering wheel at the mo' , my MS FFB also bit the dust years ago, so while I save up for a G25 or G27 I have plenty to keep me occupied.

This is probably the best place to ask......What font is used on the Box cover ? I've just spent a couple of hours searching...tried [new.myfonts.com] and [www.identifont.com....can&] find it anywhere.
G27 is better.. i tell ya;) with those LED's while gearing...

great thread:-)

my first F1 video game was Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulations 2.It was about F1 1997.I really enjoyed it.sometimes i did some multiplayer races with my big brother,that started to mod the game in 2003.

My brother,then,discovered a F1 game called Grand Prix 4...in 2007.it was very difficult to get it,but then we started to play with it.at the first time I hated it;) we used a 2007 leeched mod and it wasn't very good...
in 2008 i wanted to play a F1 game.unluckily MGPRS2 was too old for my pc(my hadware configurations changed frequently in those years: in 2004 i started from an AMD K6 and now i've a core 2 duo e6400,better than nothing ;)),and it required win 98.so i started again to play gp4,but i wanted to mod!i searched gp4 on google and i got on gp4italia.i needed to register to download files.so i used as username sennaforever(on the net i use only three usernames: sennaforever,senna9194 and luke_skywalker94.last one is related to hackintosh communities).Anyway,after some time I got able to play 91-95 mods.then i started to compile non-CSM mods(i wanted to create a fantasy 1993 mod.the only staff released of it is the PLUS update contained in drt01 and jcaranti's donington 1993).Beyond non-CSM mods I started to create fantasy tracks:-) i was helped by a great guy,Ulixes,who helped me a lot!!He still does cc-lines for my tracks(who drove on canuga(0.55v)know how good is the cc-line).but i didn't stop:i wanted to create cars!i started from textures(in MS paint!!;)),then i started to edit carshapes:
my first edited carshape was MMG's mp4-22.i wanted to adapt that car to 2009 specs.i never finished it,but i think i'll restart it in a remote future;)
at the same time i "met" rot teufel,who provided me one of his tracks,canuga speedway.it was at 0.5 version.i had to fix some bugs,and some months ago i released the 0.55 version
always in the same time;) i "met" Oggo,who taught me a lot about photoshop and zmodeler.he helped a lot me when i had to rework 1993 loading screens:-)(release soon;))
after a bit i started to edit yohan's 2009 shape:little changes at the start
then i wanted to start to render.first i used blender,then i passed to 3ds max.still haven't finished to learn how to do a good render;)
started to model in 3ds max.my first f1 car parts were a couple 09 wings to add to Maikel's SMD-01a.
after that i enjoyed other gp4 works,but i often dedicate a bit of time to develop my first car in 3ds max:-)
but i prefer painting.i painted a lot of cars,helmets,etc.

My GPGSL Career
fongu Wrote:
I'd always loved F1 games since around 1994 - on the snes I played Exhaust Heat and Pole Position F1 (and Nigel Mansell's game in hospital!).

I guess I started on the old Revs game, one car, one track (old silverstone, was great because it was the most sim like game that I could find - took me forever to learn how not to spin the car!

I first found GP2 at my friends house, and loved it, and my mum got me a copy of F1GP a few months later. Loved it but missed having GP2, because it was 94 season. Ended up getting GP2 & GPManager2 which was great, loved them both. I discovered a wealth of updates on the web, and tinkered with a few updates myself but never uploaded.

Got GP3 fairly soon after it was out (having been disappointed with games like F197 on the PS1). Wet weather! How cool! Loved it - and updates as well. Again tinkered a little with updating myself, but Ralph Hummerich did fantastic works. Never bothered with GP3 2k as I had all the updates I needed from the web.

Again got GP4 not long after it was out, and was dissapointed! Major plus was different carshapes, but I couldn't run it on its lowest setting, driving was nowhere near as fun as GP3. But i discovered this forum and didn't post for a long time. Got the game running, found some amazing cars from BMWfan & Enzo and Matt & Nic & Bojan and also Erix and Duco (where is he?!). 2003 was when we started seeing the quality increase exponentially, and come 2004 I decided I needed to get in on the modding act. So I learned zmodeler, tinkered with other people's stuff to begin with, and it wasn't really until around 2005 til I created my cars from scratch - and learn to paint as well. Never has another F1 game come close to this to date I think on the PC, and I think it will be a shame the day I lay it to rest.

Well its been nearly 10 years since I last posted in this thread. After doing many cars from 1995, 2006-2008 and 1996, dabbling in tracks, helmets and pitcrews, I had to take a break to regain some of the time I had devoted to modding. I've been away for over 6 years, and I find myself falling back in love with GP4 again.

I suppose I find most of my joy in modding, but to see my cars in-game is probably the best bit. Yes, there are other games that have better graphics engines and yes, I have F1 2018 which is awesome, but I find myself coming back to humble old GP4, because there are times I just want to sit back, put on director mode and enjoy watching the race, watching the great cars with ever increasing detail and higher resolution textures, lovely detailed helmets, fantastic wheels & rims and the tracks just get better and better. I still dream of one day running this game at 60fps even after 17 years, but I suppose I get too greedy with resolution and seeing all that lovely detail!

It would be great in having your talent back to GP4(Y)
Beautiful post, Beautiful stories.
Oh yes, that would be good!
Great to see the comeback of 'oldtimers' ;-)(Y)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy