Just remembering

Posted by Capdeville 
Just remembering
Date: June 25, 2002 07:33PM
Posted by: Capdeville
Now, that a new Formula 1 Game has arrived (not in mexico, where I live), I´m reallt anxiuos to get it, install it and play it. Since a lot time ago I´ve been a PC Formula 1 simulator fan, I´ve tried avery game i had in hands i can say since I remember...

there was formula1 game that i love in it´s time from Accolade, i played and played and played, hundreds of times, but the "real" thing came with the Microprose grand prix, everythig change, i could feel racing, I can make pit stops, qualify, read my name as a driver,etc.

The second part Gp2, was a big lap, and I had to play it in low resolution, and since that game I have to "remake" mi computer with bigger resources to handle the game...

Gp3 came with a lot of peolpe complaining about the game, just the same as now with Gp4, I remember everybody telling that "I will trash it", or "i will get back for a refund", the same, the same...

I´ve tried other F1 games, they can have better graphics but, tha playability of Crammond´s games are really great (since Gp1), the AI of other games are s$%t compared with this series...

So...i was just remembering...ahh...other times...there were not important if the game doesnt act like real life (its very dificult isn´t it?), just the feeling of racing, that makes me be a Gp fan...

by the way...

my girfliend says that I´m a childish person (I´m 28) just because I use to wear a helmet when I race Gp3...or because I use weekends in practice and qualifying...

what do you think ?

[home.graffiti.net]
Re: Just remembering
Date: June 25, 2002 07:39PM
Posted by: Morbid
Being a child is one of the only advantages grown men have!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 25, 2002 07:43PM
Posted by: Vader
Yes! VIVA MEXICO !

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 26, 2002 01:41AM
Posted by: Marcel
Wearing a helmet saves PO, you won't need the visor. Damned you're a smart kid.

Besides one thing you might consider: Wet-race -> Shower......
Date: June 26, 2002 02:43AM
Posted by: Marki
yeah, and to simulate Gs you hook up some weight to your helmet, but be careful not to crash hard because you may be hurt.

Do you remember an even older GC game "REVS" or what it was called.
It simulated F3000 races on two race tracks on my C64. It was an excellent real simulator.
Date: June 26, 2002 02:50AM
Posted by: Glyn
To get that effect of wet race you could put a spray can on the top of your monitor, and attack something to pull the leaver every so often so u get wet :)

Date: June 26, 2002 07:29AM
Posted by: big jon famagoosta
And who was Revs written by?

Non other than Sir Geoff of Crammond!!!

And he did "Stunt Car Racer" on Amiga and Atari ST.

Date: June 26, 2002 07:54AM
Posted by: chris
SCR was an amazing game.

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Date: June 26, 2002 08:24AM
Posted by: pannini
stunt car was great. i wish geoff whould make the sequel. the car physics felt real and yet at the same time way over the top.

REVS was the birth of realistic race sims in my view, although papyrus first sim (i think) indy500 was also an important breakthrough (it was after REVS though)
Date: June 26, 2002 08:29AM
Posted by: carl31
Wasn't Revs the one which was on the old BBC Micro????
Date: June 26, 2002 08:42AM
"Wasn't Revs the one which was on the old BBC Micro????"

Yup

it came out on BBC first and then C64
Date: June 26, 2002 09:33AM
Posted by: Doug
I had the good old Revs on the BBC - mine it was just Silverstone, you saw nothing but the track and the back of other cars, my monitor was b/w so I couldn't make out any crash barriers (where there any at all?) so I just knew if I hit one if I heard a bang noise and my car stopped after a while off track. Still, I loved every bit of it! :D

Date: June 26, 2002 10:16AM
Posted by: carl31
What a great game it was......I spent many hours playing Revs and the old classic, Elite. Not many 16 year olds can say they played that.....lol.
Date: June 26, 2002 10:20AM
I remeber driving with keys in REVS and after lots of practice it became quite natural. would'nt dream of driving GP4 on keys now though.

Full races were 20 laps, just about my concentration limit.
FINALLY
Date: June 26, 2002 10:36AM
Posted by: jginete
There is someone that puts your spirit up, without crying (lol) about GP4 bugs, etc.!
Anyway, thanks Eduardo because U did what I was trying to did since... 1912 LOL!
P.S.-I'm 13 year old so my first experience at F1 sim was at 1996, when my father brought me GP2. So, i switched al helps on and i did wonderful accidents but anything else (remember, I was 7!!!)

Date: June 26, 2002 11:13AM
Posted by: Doug
I'm only 16 but I had a BBC for most of my early life so that's how I came accustomed to Revs and other great nostalgic games that not many people my age can remember or even know about.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy