GP4 = Arcade physics?

Posted by BYF 
GP4 = Arcade physics?
Date: June 25, 2002 12:00PM
Posted by: BYF
Ive had gp4 for a few days now and have been quite impressed with it so far despite the huge system requirements to keep this beast running smoothly! (even on my system with 8000 3dmarks 2001-default settings)

However ive noticed the physics seem too arcade orientated and this was futher reinforced today. I was playing a championship race at australia in wet conditions, everything was going well in 4th until i clipped a wall and lost my front wing. Now to my suprise I set off again and seemed to have no loss of downforce or handling ability and i managed to still match the lap times before I lost my front wing and managed to fight my way back to 6th position. This was playing on Pro skill level. This is not the first time this has happened, it happens every time!

Surely loosing a front wing would greatly decrease the downforce thus grip of the car especially in wet conditions at 180mph! Ive played ea's f12002 and loosing a front wing in that game has a huge effect on downforce and car handling, response etc and usually results in a spin!

Anyone else who has noticed this or who has a response to this please reply.

Cheers
BYF
Re: GP4 = Arcade physics?
Date: June 25, 2002 12:03PM
Posted by: matthewp
I've noticed this also, on ace at Melbourne i'd completely destroyed my nose section and was still able to keep up with Trulli for about 5 laps.
Date: June 25, 2002 12:03PM
Posted by: StuartFerris
Yeah, i've noticed that too, but it is down to the use of traction control. Just switch it off and everything should be ok.

Stuart Ferris
Date: June 25, 2002 01:22PM
Posted by: _Alex_
Just switch it off and everything should be ok.

Don't you mean everything should turn real bad because you won't have a chance of keeping up with Trulli any more ;-)

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 25, 2002 01:29PM
Posted by: pannini
Ok, the way loosing a front wing has been modelled may not be realistic, but that doesn't mean the physics are arcadey.

I just think that you can "feel" the grip in GP games where you can't in EA F1 games.

I find you have to fiddle with the controller options quite a lot to get that feel though.
Date: June 26, 2002 03:41AM
Posted by: maniak
You're just about right. The F12k2 grip feeling is just not there for you. At some point some guy made an adjustment to the grip to eliminate the "driving on ice" feeling.

Anyway, as somebody put it, it's quite hard to make judgements about the realism of GP, or any other car game for that matter, because you can't know what the "real" is. I think it's just a matter of taste. If you want to struggle with the steering you choose F12k2 and if you want a cleaner drive you stick to GP.

maniak

Oh, my public! How they love me! (Looney Tunes)
Date: June 26, 2002 07:52AM
Posted by: pannini
yeah,

the thing is that with GP4 and previous GP's the physics seem to let you know where the limit is. because of that you can drive a full race and you can let up and play safe/conserve tyres of if need be push like hell and the difference in lap time is only a couple of seconds.

with the ea games i was always quessing where the limit was. basically i just felt detatched. (i'm basing that on f1 2001 and 2000 i've not played 2002)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy