Anisotropic Filtering

Posted by genesis 
Anisotropic Filtering
Date: June 17, 2002 05:06PM
Posted by: genesis
Guys what does anisotropic filtering do?? I have the option to have it disable, or at 2, 4, 6, or 8 times. Do any of you (probably morbid) know what it does to performance or frame rates?
Re: Anisotropic Filtering
Date: June 17, 2002 05:30PM
Posted by: Morbid
Yeah I know what it does. Sort of...

Lets say that you have a geometric figure. A cube, a house made of a several cubes or a horse made up off small cubes and cones or something like that. Now a geometrical figure doesn't like nice on its on. It needs a texture, to fill in colours combination and stuff. A CS skin, or a GP3 livery is a texture. Apply its at the tight location on the geometric model, so the horse eyes does not appear on its butt or left hoof is called texture mapping.

So, texture mapping is a simple graphical modeling technique that creates complex appearing three-dimensional objects.

Anisotropic filtering seeks to achieve the best possible texture mapping in situations where the model

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 17, 2002 05:31PM
Posted by: Zcott
[home.swipnet.se]

I think disabling it might give you lower POs, but increasing it will make it look pretty.
Date: June 17, 2002 05:33PM
Posted by: genesis
cheers guys ever helpful as usual.
Date: June 17, 2002 05:38PM
So many typos and slip-ups it is hard to understand :O

I'll try again:

Yeah I know what it does. Sort of...

Lets say that you have a geometrical figure. A cube, a house made of a several cubes or a horse made up of small cubes and cones, or something like that. Now a geometrical figure doesn't look nice on its own. It needs a texture, to fill in colours, define parts and their combination and stuff. A CS skin or a GP3 livery is a texture. Apply it at the right location on the geometric model and it looks good, the point being the horse eyes does not appear on its butt or left hoof but at the right place in the head. This is called texture mapping.

So, texture mapping is a simple graphical modeling technique that creates complex appearing three-dimensional objects. A nicely shaded texture that is placed on the 3-d model enhances depth perception, clarity and sharpness as well as it makes clear what the object is supposed be and be made of. You can see if the cube is a piece of sugar, a brick, steel or hay.

Anisotropic filtering seeks to achieve the best possible texture mapping in situations where the model

Date: June 17, 2002 05:41PM
Sneaking posts in behind my back, aye? Why, you little...argh, ack... ;)

Date: June 17, 2002 06:06PM
Posted by: Zcott
I've been hijacked by ShortAnswerMan!
Date: June 18, 2002 02:05AM
LoL!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy