GP4, why better than EA?

Posted by chris 
GP4, why better than EA?
Date: June 17, 2002 05:40AM
Posted by: chris
It seems that most people think gp4 is better than f1 2002. But I was just curious to see whether perhaps it got the benefit of the doubt because it was a Crammond game?

We're all GC fans here, and maybe that's why gp4 is more popular. Or is it genuinely a clear winner ahead of f1 2002?

To me (I've played neither) GP4 looks better, but f1 2002 perhaps has more features. Does that matter?

I know its an odd topic...

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Re: GP4, why better than EA?
Date: June 17, 2002 09:10AM
Posted by: make
I havent played GP4 yet but i think F1 2002 rulez.
Exept the fact that some tracks sucks.
Re: GP4, why better than EA?
Date: June 17, 2002 09:53AM
Posted by: _Alex_
Gp4 has a head-start due to its unprecedentedly accurate tracks. The difference between the tracks on Gp3 and the tracks on Gp4 is astounding, and when you watch the TV replays on Gp4, you realise how amazing they look.

Secondly, it's the basic car physics which put Gp4 ahead. Take the first corner at Melbourne (because I've played that on both games). On F1 2002, if you ride the kerbs a little too aggressively, the car is launched into a sluggish slide, which, when opposite lock is applied, is transferred in the opposite direction, and the car see-saws around, and it looks terribly silly. If you do the same on Gp4, the car either snaps out of control in a split second, or, you can correct the car with a flick of opposite lock, and keep the car going nice and tidily.

Further down the track, in the second corner, there is virtually no way in F1 2002 of keeping the car from bogging down horrendously as you apply power while apexing. The car understeers - but it doesn't feel like it's understeering, it just feels as though it's bogging down. However, in Gp4, you can carry speed nicely through any corner, and the car very rarely bogs down. I'm using the term "bogging down" a lot in reference to F1 2002, because thats exactly what happens all too often. Grand Prix 4 overall is just a vastly more satisfying racing experience, and it's far enough an improvement over Gp3 to make it well worth purchasing over F1 2002, which from what I've experienced, is good, but no Gp4.

The final example has to be the TV replays. F1 2002's replays are utterly unconvincing. The cars look as though they're sliding around on ice, and there's no definitive connection between the track and the four wheels. It isn't fun to watch. However, when you complete a satisfying few corners on Gp4, it's straight out with the keyboard to press R, sit back, and watch a fantastic looking car on a fantastic looking race track, generally looking... you guessed it, fantastic. You can even se hands on the wheel as the car is turning in, which make it look really quite convincing.

Seriously, if you're going to buy one of them, make it Gp4.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy