GP4 screens 2 diff res.

Posted by CDN_Merlin 
GP4 screens 2 diff res.
Date: June 16, 2002 08:52AM
Posted by: CDN_Merlin
Here are some screenshots on my PC running GP4.

My systems is this.

P3-800EB
ASUS CUSL2
256 PC133 RAM
Win98SE
Direct X 8.1
SB Live Value
MS Wheel
GeForce 2 GTS 64Meg
Running 29.42 drivers

[members.rogers.com]
How I run it playing alone.

[members.rogers.com]
Same as above

[members.rogers.com]
Running it playing on LAN.

Beta tester for;
Descent 3, C & C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2,
Settlers IV, Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command,
MAX 2, Defiance
Re: GP4 screens 2 diff res.
Date: June 16, 2002 08:54AM
Posted by: genesis
Bloody hell, I thought the bottom pic would have been bad cos of the low resolution (on GP3-2000 lower resolutions look crap). But that looks brilliant!
Date: June 16, 2002 09:21AM
The bottom pic has most of the graphics on low or off. The other 2 have everything to max.

Beta tester for;
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: June 16, 2002 09:23AM
Posted by: matthewp
i've got a similar system but it would bring my PC to its knees running that much detail in a race at 1024x768, any idea why?
Posted by: Morbid
The big pic: How many FPS and how many goodies are switch on, like heat haze, bump mapping and so on?

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Posted by: Spike02
aye but thats on your computer, i've got one that was bought in late 1999 without any upgrades since.

i just dread the thought of buying the game only to find that my piece of @!#$ can't handle it
Date: June 16, 2002 09:41AM
I get about 22fps in 640x480 and about 13 in 1024x768. In the higher res, I have everything turned on except for Environment maps I think.

One question, the slider for the FPS, what exactly does that do? If it's set to 22fps, and I slide it to 60 what will that do?

Beta tester for;
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: June 16, 2002 09:43AM
i thought you pc buffs would have known that.....no offence, i'm no genius when it comes to computers
Date: June 16, 2002 09:48AM
Posted by: chris
Spikeman,

I've got

p2 mmx 350mhz proccessor
98megs SDRAM
Matrox g200 gfx (8mb)

So your not alone, I'm not going to bother buying it, it needs a 16mb gfx card or better.

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Date: June 16, 2002 09:51AM
ive got 500 MHz
128 Mb of RAM
PA3000 Plus
CDN Merlin, could you post MINIMUM res, most things turned off?

Just to see what it could look like at worst.

Thanks!

aye, do it for us poor souls
Date: June 16, 2002 09:57AM
It is how many frames per second your graphic card renders. If you remember the old kids game of drawing stick figures in notepads, and then leafing the pages very quickly to produce a short stick figure amination, then you have the principle of how FPS works. It is not really a movie, just a very fast slideshow, that looks like a movie. Btw, movies in theaters and in then telly work by the same principle. When the FPS goes above 25 or so, the human eye cannot register any isolated pictures any more. Drop the FPS and the movie gets a bit more choppy, drop it to 1-3 fps and it looks like everything is happening at you favourite nightclub.

Normally games have fluid FPS systems, and the processer just works as much as it can. If the processor is strained FPS drops, and sometimes below the 25 FPS area. Things get choppy. If the processor has little to do FPS skyrockets. I can run CS and Q3 with FPS close to 100.

The GPx series has a fluid Processor load and a fixed FPS. The point being that you can lock the amount of Frames Per Second and the game renders from there, never going above or below that number of frames. If you PO goes above 100, your system is working more than it can, so to compensate, GPx slows down time.

In a game where 3/10ths of a second is the difference between a race winning pass and a DNF, slowdown in time is preferable to choppyness. Try and set it to max res and FPS 60 so you have 400-500 PO, and sit down and check passage of time with a stopwatch. You will see that 1 second in the game might be as much as 4 seconds realtime. Many leagues ban this and label it "slowmo driving", as it is easier to do the right thing with 5 seconds to execute the manouver than with 1 second.

As to choppiness, low FPS, this is a matter of taste. As far as I know no league has banned low FPS and as such it is not considered a cheat. As to when the game seems choppy, that is very subjective and partly biological too. Some people go nuts when games go below 30 FPS. I feel that way with 3d-shooters. Others don't seem to notice even very low FPS. If you don't see any choppiness at 13 FPS, lucky you. More bang for the buck, when it comes to PC-systems.

Important note! If you suffer from epilepsy, don't set too low a FPS as this DOES trigger seizures, just like stroboscopic lights and certain japanese cartoons do. Do not fool around with your health.

Date: June 16, 2002 09:59AM
Btw, I play GP4 @ 21 FPS and it feels very good and smooth. Dunno why, as I don't think I would accept this from any other game.

Date: June 16, 2002 10:33AM
It may cause epilepsy in some people, I'm not affected by low FPS, but I do have epilepsy (quite mild).

Strobe lights are a big no-no though ;)

Date: June 16, 2002 11:31AM
2 more shots.

[members.rogers.com]

This one is all maxed out. 4x antialiasing, actually all the shots have 4x AA

[members.rogers.com]

this is the lowest possible quality. Everything is set to lowest. This is using the 640x48016bit textures. The res with no numbers is using 24bit.

Beta tester for;
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: June 16, 2002 11:33AM
The low res pic has wrong URL use this one.

[members.rogers.com]

Beta tester for;
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: June 16, 2002 02:18PM
Posted by: Glyn
What you've got to remember is that the 640x480 shots will still look good when posted on the web. In the actual game the image is resized to fill your screen. A good way of simulating this is to save the pic and resize it to your desktop res and you'll get a better idea of the graphics.

I have to say though it all looks very crisp, a lot better than F1 2002. Ive just come back from playing that and you then realise how good GP4's graphics are.

Date: June 16, 2002 02:22PM
The low res still looks good. This is also lower than I actually played since I used high textures and a bit more. THis is just an example of the lowest settings possible.

Beta tester for;
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: June 16, 2002 04:09PM
Cheers CDN_Merlin, much appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy