Graphics Card

Posted by CMJH69 
Re: Graphics Card
Date: June 18, 2002 08:27AM
Posted by: Wineman
Sorry - watching Italy Korea - the brown slot is about 4 to 5 cm I'd say and 1 of the PCI slots is taken up by the modem. I can't see the TNT2 - I wonder whether its integrated in somewhere but my GP3 2K identifies it as hardware!! Most pictures of AGP slots show them a similar slightly shorter length than PCI slots and slightly deeper into the box than the PCI slots. I still imagine at this stage I'd need a new motherboard. If this is the case can anyone recommend a motherboard to optimise a Geforce 3 Ti 500 say and probably upping current CPU from 1Ghz to 1.5 ish. Tahks in advance.
Date: June 18, 2002 08:30AM
Posted by: Zcott
The brown slot is always AGP, afaik.
Date: June 18, 2002 09:52AM
Posted by: chris
OK here's a basic motherboard.

See the long brown slot to the right of the three PCI ports? You should have this. The 4cm one just sounds too small...

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Date: June 18, 2002 10:00AM
Thanks for this. I thought as much and I've had it confirmed no AGP slot - don't buy from Time. Before I spend big money is it possible my system - 1 Ghz Amd Athlon, 256 mb SD Ram would work okay with a Geforce 4 Mx - I believe its possible to get one for a PCI slot. Grateful for any final thoughts on this. Thanks.
Date: June 18, 2002 10:34AM
Posted by: genesis
Yeah it would work fine matey. Happy hunting.
Date: June 18, 2002 10:39AM
Posted by: CMJH69
Ive just opened up my PC and I have a AGP slot! I was a bit worried, Anyway pay day is Thrusday and I want to order a new graphics card and some more RAM. Final suggestions on graphics card then would be really helpful, im on a budget though. Ive gotta pay my car insurance, they totally screw 17 year old drivers!!

:(

Date: June 18, 2002 11:08AM
Is this worth it?

64Mb XFX Geforce 4 TI4200 Rtl
D-Sub / DVI / TV-out, Supplied boxed with Power DVD

Online Price £99.28 £116.65 Including VAT at 17.5%

I got this from [www.cclcomputers.com]

Date: June 18, 2002 11:19AM
Posted by: Zcott
Sounds pretty delicious to me! Check out dabs.com, ebuyer.com, and aria.co.uk before you order, though. You might find it cheaper there.
Date: June 18, 2002 11:40AM
Posted by: Habi
any Titanium card is good.

GF3 TI500 kicks ass out of GF4 MX420 ... that explains enough?

Date: June 18, 2002 01:26PM
Posted by: JC
Hey........ Best to avoid Geforece 4 MX cards because they really are not that good lol, the only good thing about it is the name Geforce 4 lol... A Geforce 4 Ti4200 and Ti4400 are the best choice, but they are expensive.....

Your best bet is to get a Geforce 3 Ti500 from Aria [www.aria.co.uk ] , its much quicker then Geforce 4 MX and its very overclockerble too... The Hercules 3 card from there is £123 with free delivery because its over £100........

You could go down the other route and get a ATI Radeon 8500, but that is not a Geforce card but it is supose to be very quick and magazines think its quicker then Geforce 3 lol, but it got some driver problems, best to avoid that one but it is quicker then Geforce 3 and simillar price......

If u want to spend even more money u can splash out on either the Geforce 4 Ti4400 or Ti4600 both by Creative and from Aria as well, they are worth it, but it costs a lot though, but they are way cheaper then other 128 mb Geforce 4 graphics cards...............

If u get a Geforce card then download the detonator drivers from Nvidia website and use them rather then the ones that come with the card, u get a massive speed boost.......

JC ............ and i pre-orded GP4 ages ago lol

Date: June 19, 2002 03:21AM
I've got a chance to buy 3 PCI cards. Geforce 2 MX 400 64mb at £59, Geforce 4 MX 420 64mb at £92 and Hercules Prophet 4000XT 64mb at £79. Also does anyone have experience of the Kyro chipset rather than nVidia and what is the support for drivers etc like. Thanks all.
Date: June 19, 2002 03:40AM
From what I understand the Kyro chipset is somewhat inferior to the Nvidia.

The GF2 is a good price there, but its a little outdated, and would have trouble with GP4
As said above, the GF4 MX series is not as good as GF3, but much better than the GF2 MX cards.

"Best to avoid Geforece 4 MX cards because they really are not that "

That's just not true. These cards are good, fast cards. Ellis has one and it runs gp4 great. OK its no Titanium, but its superb for that price.

Date: June 19, 2002 08:05AM
Posted by: Habi
LOLOLOLOL @ JC

j/k :)

Buying a GF4 TI 4600 is like throwing your money away, you can get a much cheaper TI 4200 and overclock it.

About GF4 MX cards ... i agree with JC, a real gamer would never buy those.

Date: June 19, 2002 08:19AM
Maybe not all 'real gamers' have that much money.

Date: June 19, 2002 09:20AM
Posted by: genesis
exactly, how can you say that?!?!
Date: June 19, 2002 10:23AM
Quite so. I don't classify myself as a real gamer just want to run Gp4 properly so its a proper F1 sim. When I've installed the game and the Geforce 4 420 MX for PCI which I get tomorrow I'll post how the game runs. Hopefully no loss of pace with no AGP slot.
Date: June 19, 2002 10:27AM
Good luck Dave!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy