Negative GP4 feedback

Posted by genesis 
Negative GP4 feedback
Date: June 13, 2002 09:11AM
Posted by: genesis
This kinda stuff is not what we want to hear, but I'm gonna show it anyway. It's from that newsgroup zcott pointed out, where they downloaded warez version of the game.

"It's exactly the same as GP3, only a graphics update (I have to turn
off most fancy options to keep a reasonable fps though, leaving me
with GP3 graphics again).

I played F1 2002 for about 2 hours tonight, and driving GP4 after that
is a joke. It's like driving on rails again, no feeling in the car at
all, and way to easy to control the car.

I must admit I didn't test everything in GP4, first thing after I
finally got my controller working was a race on Suzuka, and after 3
laps I deleted it. "
Re: Negative GP4 feedback
Date: June 13, 2002 09:14AM
Posted by: Beardless2
nah i dont believe it, or i dont want to :';(

Band of the week: Muse
Game of the week: Call of Duty

Beardless2

AMD XP 2700+ | Asus A7N8X nForce 2 Deluxe | 1 GB PC2700 RAM DC | ATI RADEON 9800 | WD 120GB 8MB | NEC 16x DVD | Lite-on 48x24x48 | XP
Date: June 13, 2002 09:16AM
Posted by: Vader
If F1 2002 plays like F1 2001, then the cars are way too nervous. After all these cars can drive head over heels under the roof of a tunnel without falling down. F1 2001 (and presumably F1 2002, too) does not really let you feel your car has aerodynamical or mechanical grip at all.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 13, 2002 09:21AM
Posted by: matthewp
I dont' agree that they feel too nervous, sure when you can lose it when you're driving on the limit but thats surely realistic, if you make a good setup they can be fairly fogiving, and Gp3 is just too easy
Date: June 13, 2002 09:27AM
Posted by: Zcott
I'd like to hear what CDN_Merlin has to say about it, since he has actually played it. And also the WIP F1-2002 demo.
Date: June 13, 2002 09:31AM
I've played the WIP F2002 demo, and it's sh*t in my opinion. If realistic F1 is like driving on an ice rink then I guess it's ok. The AI, at least in the demo, is very very stupid to put it mildly, as they either totally ignore you or give you hours to pass or brake. The only decent things are the graphics and frame rate, but the recent pics of GP4 are loads better.Also, the timing screens are old style, with the starting grid screen still the scrolling numbers, and horrible looking numbers.
Date: June 13, 2002 09:33AM
Posted by: CDN_Merlin
I drove F1 2001 and the demo of F1 2002. Both made me want to puke. It's like Vader says, F1 2001+ doens't give you the feeling the car has traction at all. TRust me GP4 rocks. I'm running 1024x768 almost all details on cept for reflections, shaoows and I'm using 4x AA using a Geforce 2 GTS on a P3-800 256 RAM, Win98SE and DX 81. and I get 16 fps which is enough when i play. It runs smooth is all I care. I will be buying a G3 Ti 200 soon cause my friend wants to much for this G2 and the G3 is only 235 plus taxes. The G4's are still over 400$ here so it's out of my reach.

My friend on his Athlon 1200, 256 Ram, win98SE, V5 5500 says it runs fine but must turn off some features also. You must remember that all games are made for future systems in mind cause they know we will upgrade within 1 yr to play this game better. I have upgraded my PC 2 times fully to play Descent 3 spending well over 2000$. If you are a true gamer, you will do the same for the games you love.

Don't listen to that negative feedback, it's from people who have played nothing but F1 2001 or EA Sports games which are sub par games to start with. The only game I like from EA Sports is Superbike 2001 and even that isn't the best.

BTW, how do I take a screen shot in GP4? I hate having to hit prntscrm and pasting 1 pic at a time in my apps.

Beta tester for;
Descent 3, C & C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2,
Settlers IV, Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command,
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: June 13, 2002 09:35AM
16 fps?!?! That's really slow isn't it? GP3 was only decent at slightly excess of 25fps!
Date: June 13, 2002 09:46AM
it doens't look that bad to me. Don't know why but if I played a FPS at 16 fps, it would suck, but in Gp3 and 4 it doesn't. I can set the fps to 60 manually but not sure what that does.

Beta tester for;
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: June 13, 2002 09:50AM
Posted by: TrevorWitt
Going over those comments-
1.) "It's exactly the same as GP3, only a graphics update (I have to turn
off most fancy options to keep a reasonable fps though, leaving me
with GP3 graphics again)."
- GP4 uses a completely new 3D engine and modeller (3D Studio), and I've seen how they import the GPS data first hand, so there's no way this game ever looks like GP3. The difference is in this GPS data, the tracks are so much more realistic to drive, heck, there's even Harrier jets parked on the infield at Silverstone!

2.) "I played F1 2002 for about 2 hours tonight, and driving GP4 after that
all, and way to easy to control the car. "
- Granted, the new default setups are fairly close to an ideal layout(apart from the gear ratios), but the development team are really trying to make the game more user friendly for the novice racer. But saying that, some real F1 drivers have test driven the game, and given it a thumbs up and if you look at the onboard camera view of this years Ferrari on a Sunday afternoon, Schumacher isn't doing an awful lot of work in the cockpit as the car is so sorted. You really don't want snap oversteer and understeer in a GP car..

3.)"I must admit I didn't test everything in GP4, first thing after I
finally got my controller working was a race on Suzuka, and after 3
laps I deleted it. "
- You're going to miss out on this years best driving sim, unlucky.
Date: June 13, 2002 09:50AM
Posted by: pikflo_MHrulz
ive always run gp3 at 16 fps second and it still seemed smooth enough to me!
Date: June 13, 2002 09:54AM
ok thanks for the reassurance. I'm still thinking '16fps...?!?!' what PO did you get? Even 25fps is slow, maybe I'm too used to console gaming.
Date: June 13, 2002 10:01AM
Posted by: TrevorWitt
I played the game at home for the first time last night and was interested see how it ran my middle-of-the-range system. I have a Athlon 1Ghz, 192Mb RAM, 64Mb GeForce 2 Ultra and I just let the game choose the graphics settings. It picked out a res of 1024x768 and most of the detail settings to medium (believe me, this still looks gorgeous) and estimated a frame rate of 24 per sec. Pressing the occupancy button in game shows that's running between 80 and 110%, so I'm farily satisfied with that until I do another upgrade. I have seen it running (at Microprose studios) on a PIII 500 with similar graphics settings and the frame rate was limited to about 15-16 or so, but it was still playable.
Date: June 13, 2002 10:08AM
Posted by: Zcott
Nice, Trevor.

Hopefully it'll run fine on my XP 1600, 384mb RAM, and 32mb Matrox G400 card...:D

And hopefully hotlaps will actually work in XP!
Date: June 13, 2002 10:09AM
my PO is about 80-100% so I'm happy.

Beta tester for;
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: June 13, 2002 10:20AM
Posted by: Vader
2.) "I played F1 2002 for about 2 hours tonight, and driving GP4 after that
all, and way to easy to control the car. "
- Granted, the new default setups are fairly close to an ideal layout(apart from the gear ratios), but the development team are really trying to make the game more user friendly for the novice racer. But saying that, some real F1 drivers have test driven the game, and given it a thumbs up and if you look at the onboard camera view of this years Ferrari on a Sunday afternoon, Schumacher isn't doing an awful lot of work in the cockpit as the car is so sorted. You really don't want snap oversteer and understeer in a GP car..

Exactly what I meant above, Trevor. Hear hear! Maybe the Darkside is with your mag, too.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 13, 2002 10:49AM
Posted by: LS.
why has trevor only now revealed himself to the forum again?

i remember trevor posting when the warez version of gp3 came, but we have heard nothing since.

even when ross atherton posted a few times we never heard any opinions about the exclusions of features that the community have been crying out for, perhaps trevor might give us a insight this time

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: June 13, 2002 10:54AM
Posted by: LS.
why has trevor only now revealed himself to the forum again?

i remember trevor posting when the warez version of gp3 came, but we have heard nothing since.

even when ross atherton posted a few times we never heard any opinions about the exclusions of features that the community have been crying out for, perhaps trevor might give us a insight this time

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: June 14, 2002 04:35AM
Posted by: Xipe
Turn off the steering help and it won't "run as on rails". I've only run about 60 laps but I really like it this far and think it's a big improvement from GP3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy