'nothing gets closer' huh?

Posted by marcvb 
'nothing gets closer' huh?
Date: April 01, 2002 06:03AM
Posted by: marcvb
Hi all,

I'd like to point out something that I noticed...
Have a look at:

and this...

As you can see, the mirrors in GP4 are wrong...
In real life, through the mirrors we can see:

On the other hand, the mirrors in the T-cam in GP4 show us the drivers helmet...wdf? The angle of the mirrors is wrong too :(

Yes, maybe they did it that way on purpose, maybe so that we'd have a usable mirror even from the T-cam view.
But come on, they're doing stuff to help us while driving like removing the hands from the cockpit view to let us see, making the T-cam mirrors usable, and all this is taking that realistic feeling away :(
So much for the 'nothing gets closer'...

Also, have you ever noticed the t-cam view in real life vibrates as the driver speeds up? They should add that too if they wanna keep the 'NOTHING GETS CLOSER' slogan...

Marc

Marc
-=-=-=-=-

Re: 'nothing gets closer' huh?
Date: April 01, 2002 06:04AM
Sorry for the first pic... this is the image:

Marc
-=-=-=-=-

Date: April 01, 2002 06:21AM
Posted by: Rainey
Still, nothing is closer to the real thing than GP4 anyway, so they arent lying. :)
Date: April 01, 2002 03:04PM
Posted by: jordangp2001
yeah still i rather use the mirrors in t-cam......... so im not worried about that

Date: April 01, 2002 04:22PM
Posted by: Vader
And notice that the real T-cam vies is NOT exactly centered but slightly from the left.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: April 01, 2002 04:57PM
Posted by: dave
You cannot be serious. This is getting ridiculous. Now you are complaining that you CAN use the mirrors???

If they had set the T Cam view so you couldn
Date: April 02, 2002 12:01AM
...and that's why i'm studying to become a game developer :P

Marc
-=-=-=-=-

Date: April 02, 2002 01:09AM
Posted by: _Alex_
You cannot be serious. This is getting ridiculous. Now you are complaining that you CAN use the mirrors???

People will complain about every little thing that they can. Don't worry about it.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: April 02, 2002 04:31AM
I don't think anyone here is really complaining, just wanting more realism. :)
Date: April 02, 2002 06:08AM
ur right Rainey :)
I wasn't complaining... I just like realism :)

Marc
-=-=-=-=-

Date: April 02, 2002 07:23AM
Posted by: make
I want the realism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And nothing else.
Date: April 02, 2002 11:33AM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

Well ppl maoned that the saftey car would arse up the game and i (and i wasnt alone wanted it in)

"I cant imagine anyone wanting the game to be realistc enough to have a saftey car" was something like i said

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: April 02, 2002 07:11PM
Posted by: dave
I want all the realism I can get too. I just understand why we sometimes can
Date: April 03, 2002 06:35AM
There is a fine line between the realism and the effectiveness of certain features in a game, sometimes the developers just have to make a compromise.

Things that definately need to be in for the 5 year plan of the Grand Prix series (that to my knowledge arent in GP4) are:
Safety Car - When it comes out you should have to actually control your vehicle behind the SC, games that make you go into auto-drive are really poor, it would be cool if you were leading and the safety car pulls in and lets you set the pace over the line.
Restarts - After a large crash within the first lap, the race should be re-run, with those competitors either returning in a backup car, or out for good.
Stop-Go Penaltys - Including crossing the pit lane exit line, speeding in pit lane, dangerous driving, passing under caution, and jump starts.
Track Details - Full catchment fences, deformed gravel traps after a vehicle has gone through them, tyre walls that engulf the car instead of bouncing it away,
Crash Physics -
1.) Tail/nose whips when a car hits the fence (think of Australia 2001 where the marshal was killed in the accident with Villeneuve and Ralf), its the one thing that annoys me in GP3 when there is a realistic crash, is when they make contact with the wall, there is no inertia or calculations done, the game simply rebounds the vehicle away on the angle it hit on, and in one word it simply looks 'gay'.
2.) Vehicles launched into the air after decent contact with the rear of another vehicle, this is not generally caused by the contact, but by the air expelled from the car infront suddenly hitting under the following vehicle which just lost its front wing therefore its front downforce and resulting in that car lifting off the ground.
3.) Scratches and tyre marks after contact with other vehicles or scenery.
4.) Broken wings are blown around by cars driving past.
Date: April 03, 2002 10:23AM
Yo Sup

"Stop-Go Penaltys - Including crossing the pit lane exit line, speeding in pit lane, dangerous driving, passing under caution, and jump starts."

F1 99 gives us this, and that game is far from great, so why cant GP4????

"Track Details - Full catchment fences, deformed gravel traps after a vehicle has gone through them, tyre walls that engulf the car instead of bouncing it away"

Well, i have seen deformed gravel traps on the N64, and i have seen tyres that bounce about (again on the N64) but i still aint see no tyres that cars get ingulft in

See, the thing bout tyre walls is they dont always engulf the car. Sometimes the cars can bounce off of them violently, the cars can touch them and get thrown into a spin, or they can get stuck in them, so its very difficult to model.

"Broken wings are blown around by cars driving past."#

em, i havent seen that in real life but GP3 2000 does have debris collisions.

"Scratches and tyre marks after contact with other vehicles or scenery."

Rally games use this alot (espcially when im driving)

You know we get pit-car radio? Well we dont get car-pit radio do we? I mean like Counter-strike style. That would be interesting if you could radio pits with messages from menus systems (like CS)

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: April 08, 2002 03:38AM
Posted by: killplug
in one word it simply looks 'gay'.
funny as @!#$!!
Date: April 08, 2002 11:15AM
Yo Sup

Well i think ur on your won there Steven

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy