X Box or PC?

Posted by Ellis 
X Box or PC?
Date: March 08, 2002 01:38PM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

Ok, i want GP4 but what do i do? Spend money on upgrading my PC or buy an X-Box?

My PC is

350Mhz
384Mb RAM
GeForce 2 400MX
WinXP Pro

Do i bother upgrading that or buy an X-box? My motherboard can only support up to 500Mhz so i would need a new one of them rather than just a new processor

So what is it? X Box or upgrade PC? I cant decide

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Re: X Box or PC?
Date: March 08, 2002 02:04PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Wow thats one hell of a tough choice, i would go for both if i could! I really dunno....

Date: March 08, 2002 02:14PM
Posted by: chris
pc, because console games are SO expensive, eg PS2 new game £44.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pc new game £30/35.
Chris
Date: March 08, 2002 03:23PM
Yo Sup

But PS2 are actaully really crap. I thought Gran Turismo 3 was pish. The only PS2 game i like out of the 20 - 30 odd i have played is Grand Theft Auto 3.

Probably will go for PC but i have terrible luck with them and loads of compatibility problems, there wouldnt be any on an X-Box

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 08, 2002 03:37PM
Posted by: Beardless2
Ellis. Upgade ur pc, u will thank us later. Ur gfx card is fine, all u need is a processor, mobo and possibly more ram. so i know u are on a budget, so u could get a AMD duron 1 ghz or athlon 1.2 Ghz , cheap mobo for less than £150 in total. Do u have PC100 or PC 133 ram? if so , no need to buy more. It wont be a top notch system, but will be fine.

Band of the week: Muse
Game of the week: Call of Duty

Beardless2

AMD XP 2700+ | Asus A7N8X nForce 2 Deluxe | 1 GB PC2700 RAM DC | ATI RADEON 9800 | WD 120GB 8MB | NEC 16x DVD | Lite-on 48x24x48 | XP
Date: March 09, 2002 05:31AM
Posted by: _Alex_
For what you're going to have to pay for an X-Box (£300) you'd be better getting a new PC or something. I was reading a PC Mag the other day where they had a Duron 1Ghz, 128Mb RAM, 20Gb HDD, GeForce 2 MX, for £499 - which is a great price for such a spec... or go for the PC upgrade - it's obvious that the X-Box is geared more towards arcade than realism. From those PC shots that LS posted, the PC version is going to be the real sim. It looks great.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: March 09, 2002 10:09AM
Posted by: villeneuve
I agree with you, Alex!!!

I would buy just a new processor, a AMD athlon with a new motherboard you can get for just 300 euros, I don't know how much pounds that is...
Date: March 09, 2002 02:16PM
Well here in the UK we have such a crap economy, we haven't yet quite worked out what the Euro actually is, so we still have ludicrously high prices for most stuff.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: March 09, 2002 02:33PM
Posted by: jordangp2001
pc cos one simple reason:

rh!

Date: March 09, 2002 03:14PM
Posted by: Morbid
Yeah go for the PC! While the X-box might look attractive now, it has very limited use and flexibilty, and will be outdated just as fast as a PC. Besides, you will dish out all the $$$ you saved, on overpriced non-patchable, non-moddable, not compatable with anything - games.

The X-boxs secondary purpose user friendly entertainment device, the primary purpose is the execution of a business strategem. XP was launched to generate loads of mobile cash, which in turn was thrusted into the X-Box to promote its development and subsidiaring of the sale of the games. For every game for the X-box that you buy, M$ tops the $$$ with a percentage, just to pay the producer of the game!

Don't think that M$ did this just because they wanted a good product with good games. They are NOT losing money because they think you are a nice guy that deserves the best. They just invested all the XP profits, so that it can be multiplied in the X-box, once it has forced every competitor out of the market. Yes they are losing money now, and it benefits you. But they WILL want to get their profits back, once the monopoly has been acheived - and YOU the consumer will pay that bill as long as the monopoly stands.

For the consumer the X-box is a tantalizing gem, but it is nevertheless a hoax - to trick people into:

the-ever-expanding-not-compatable-with-anything-but-our-products-thus-milking-you-for-all-the-money-you-have Micro$oft world domination monopoly!

I say again: Yeah go for the PC!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: March 09, 2002 04:26PM
Yo Sup

"Yes they are losing money now"

honestly do you think it is making a difference to M$ if they lose a few million? Not like they dont amke enough

It is estimated that bill Gates earns $1million every 7 minutes, most of whch goes directly into M$, never to be seen again. Actaully, come to think of it which M$ products are realy worth it?

We only have Windows cos of lack of other good operating systems and cos all programs are designed for Windows

FrontPage- well Dreamweaver is a millions times better

Word - pish, full stop

Publisher - the worlds most annoying DTP program

Microsoft Train Simulator - well you can push up for forward, and down for back cos trains go on rails.

Date: March 09, 2002 04:36PM
Posted by: LS.
not if there's leaves on the line mate :-)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: March 10, 2002 03:52AM
Word - pish, full stop

They are are greedy bunch of gits, but let's not deny the fact that they do actually produce by far the best Work Suites and operating systems - the latter literally doesn't have any competition. Word isn't "pish", it is the best word proccesor. Everyone, including myself, complain about Microsoft and what bastards they are, yet we use their operating systems, their office suits, their graphics drivers, without a second thought. You might even say they've brain washed most people.

and YOU the consumer will pay that bill as long as the monopoly stands

What exactly do you mean by that one, Morbid :)

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: March 10, 2002 04:42AM
Yo Sup

I dont pay the bill, i have never properly purchased any M$ software cos its all overpriced, and buggy.

In my school we use "Lotus word processor" I think its called, i dont use it that much but its better than Word. I hate word.

The only reason there work products are good is cos they designed the OS so they can full optimize anything that runs on the system.

I prefer Linux to Windows but cant use it cos its more advanced and this is my whole families PC.

"Everyone, including myself, complain about Microsoft and what bastards they are, yet we use their operating systems, their office suits, their graphics drivers, without a second thought"

Do we have a choice? We use windows or we use Linux, which alot of things arent compatible with. Nobody is going to be able to make a better OS cos every program that is released is desinged for Windows, and possible MAC too. We have no choice in the products which we choose. Linux is too complicated for the normal user but is still windows closest competion. I cant see anyone making a 'better' OS than M$ simply cos they basicly dictate the whole market.

"You might even say they've brain washed most people."

In a sense that is correct since they seemed to have managed to convince all programmers/companies that there products should be designed for windows and windows only.

Note that Microsoft have actaully 'stolen' most of there best ideas. like the 'windows' idea and the 'point and click' interface, aswell as many many others. Linux apparently has supporttes the "remote assistance" which XP has just intorduced, for a long long time.

XP - eXtreamly Pish. (yeah i know, extreamly doesnt start with an X but XP really stands for "eXPeriance, and i have never seen one word abbreviated to two letters)

Date: March 10, 2002 04:55AM
Yo Sup

"not if there's leaves on the line mate :-)"

LOL, i fail to see why we have so many train accidents in the UK if it only involves forward, back, and the horn.

Wheres the skill in driving a train?

XP - eXPeriance, yeah its one hell of an experiance when you throw your computer out the windows cos you get pissed off at it then your dad wont stop moaning.

Date: March 10, 2002 08:54AM
Posted by: marcvb
Hey,

I'll have to disagree with Ellis2kX: XP - eXtreamly Pish.
I have owned XP for a few months now.. and it never crashed.
And I use programs/games like Visual C++, 3D Studio Max, Dreamweaver, Flash, Bryce, FS 2002, GP3, F1 2001 etc. which usually make the PC quite unstable.
IMO, XP is the best OS yet.

mARC :)

Marc
-=-=-=-=-

Date: March 10, 2002 12:22PM
Yo Sup

But there is the issues with compatibility, with HW and SW. Microsoft also admit that the compatibility mode doesnt work under most circumstances. XP is either amazing or its crap, everybody is different. I have never ment anyone who says its ok. People always say "its great" or "its crap". So an OS that only works with some people.

dont you think it was just a bit overpriced for a CD? Most expensive peice of plastic i have come across.

XP has never crashed for me, but the programs that run in it have. I get the equivelemt to an illegal operation at least 3 times each day and MSN messanger seems to have some problems signing in, dont say reinstall it cos you cant as they stupidly built it into the OS.
Unless your PC is decently new and you HW is all pretty new then you will have problems with drivers and stuff. My ATI card wasnt too old (only 1 year) and it didnt work in XP so i asked ATI if they were making drivers and they said "no its a waste of time"

The best bit bout XP is it looks so much better than the old windows which i hated to death, XP looks so smart.

XP isnt the worst OS ever, that goes to ME, and 98 is definatly the most "crash happy".

Date: March 10, 2002 12:37PM
Yo Sup

I was about to come in here and PRAISE Microsoft and say "I have actauuly found a good M$ product", but no.

MSN explorer. It looks goodm,, allows easy and fast access to emails/MSN messenger and internet but it doesnt seem to load this forum up at all and is slow at logging into to anything but a hotmail email account

No, cant reinstall that, its built into XP (again)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy