GP4 Track Editing - new new thread

Posted by markko 
Re: GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: November 07, 2005 08:31PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Yep, that works fine, but if i choose a non-championschip race the ctd happens.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: November 07, 2005 08:35PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Yeah it will generally speaking. Not until it's 90% finished should you try experimenting with non-championship races. Which track is it set to replace? (Too lazy to download and check ;))
Date: November 07, 2005 09:29PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
It's Silverstone, this is the link to the rar file with the Silverstone wad and dat: SILVERSTONE (Copy paste)

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2005 09:32PM by Turbo Lover.
Date: November 08, 2005 10:35AM
Posted by: Auradrummer
Try deleting the last TRACKXX object and run.
Date: November 08, 2005 07:31PM
Posted by: Nickv
Could someone do the pitlane for me? I just can't get it right!
Here is the upload:

[rapidshare.de]

Many thanks in advance!
Date: November 08, 2005 07:37PM
tsk tsk, the pitlane is simple!

And I can't help cos you've put it on rapidshare...

grrr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2005 07:39PM by zeppelin101.
Date: November 08, 2005 07:55PM
I don't see the problem with rapidshare. Shall I mail it to you?
Date: November 08, 2005 08:01PM
Yes that would be better.

I can't get stuff off rapidshare (nor can a number of others) as I get an error telling me I've downloaded 300000kb (for example) in the last hour...
Date: November 08, 2005 08:04PM
Check your inbox
Date: November 08, 2005 08:53PM
Done, you'll just need to fix the heights, I'll send it back in a minute :)
Date: November 08, 2005 09:25PM
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!oneoneoneoneoneoneoneonemoreonesmoreonesmoreones
Now I can go further with the track! :)
I've already did an awsomely fast lap on my track, with three wheels: 3:49.249

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2005 09:26PM by Nickv.
Date: November 08, 2005 10:37PM
Check the screenshot thread in about 25 mins and you'll see my latest wip in game shots

Not seeing the layout though ;)
Date: November 09, 2005 10:52AM
Turbo Lover!!!

Yesterday, I was playing around with my track, and it was working fine, and after some corrections and re-add graphics, it's worked no more. After one hour of studies I discovered the problem: THE KERBS. I'll post here the causes of my CTD's, if someone is organizing it, take note of my experiences:

If your track crashes when loading (end of progress bar), here is the causes and solutions:

cause: Bad last track/pit portion

how to detect: In 3DEditor, uncheck "FIX CAM" button, and select the last sector of your track/pit. If an error occurs, there is a problem there. Onother way to check is select the sector before the last, and you'll see it highlighted. Select now the last, and see if something is highlighted. If nothing, problem here.

solution: Delete it

cause: Bad .bin files

how to detect: No known way, but in some cases the game runs, but the track blinks, crashes during a race.

solution: Delete (but don't save) the last sector of the .dat and recreate the .bin. Should work.

cause: Bad kerbs

how to detect: For all the kerbs, there is a command in the sector where they start. There is described how much sector will have kerbs. Is common the user miss the amount, and delete the 'extra' kerbs. If you do this, you'll se an strange end of the kerb (it form a kind of spike). This is the error.

solution: You can reduce by one the number of kerbs at the first kerb sector. But if you aren't sure enough, delete all the sectors containing your kerb (remember, will be to kerb-related command in the start kerb sector) and recreate it. Turn off the kerb feeling too.

And here another bug report:

If your team leaves the position before you (pit)stop, and you was at the pits alone, feeling like and idiot, I discovered the solution: Start sector! If your pit garages (probably) starts after the end of the lap, you'll probably have this problem. The most accurate solution is displace your pitlane back, or you'll be in problems to avoid first sector stretching.

That's it, and my track isn't crashing on esc, even with a heavily modified cars.wad.

As you can see, yesterday was a very productive day! :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2005 10:53AM by Auradrummer.
Date: November 09, 2005 10:56AM
Posted by: b-tone
thanks Auradrummer :)

i've made the new turn 1 for nurburgring, and now for some reason the pitcrews are standing a long way from the garage - half way between garage and pitwall.
any idea why, when all that is new is the dat, track bin & col?

____
Tony

Date: November 09, 2005 11:38AM
I have a theory that the problem happens at .col. Open the original and make a comparision for us, if there is some area different of your track. This pits is too strange, I'm facing problems there too.

And about shadows? I made one shadow, set its class to shadow, and got some transparency effect, really nice. But the cars aren't affected. Someone have created such thing?
Date: November 09, 2005 02:17PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Yep, quite a productive day for sure :)
Well, the first bug about last track sector is weird, do you have any .dat file causing a 3deditor error anymore (or can you recreate one and send it to me ?).

I did all my shadows with SHADOW class. Look at Ricardo's Imola track, I created all pitlane left guardrails shadows. There's maybe a special material for them, be sure to check with an original shadow object its properties.

Date: November 09, 2005 02:47PM
Well shadows are defined by alphas so you'll got a block black shadow if you simply create a flat object and add a black texture to it, so I think that so long as you have a good alpha (or borrow the texture from somewhere else) then the shadows will show up.

@Auradrummer: Most of my crashes of late (I've lost count of the number of track I'm fiddling with ;)) have been cause simply by the last sector overlapping the first in the graphics, which tecnically isn't a problem .dat wise, but ANY kind of graphical conflict (hence why I keep telling people to put kerbs in a different scene to verges and with TRACK class) will cause a ctd either at the end of the progress bar, or on escape depending on how "critical" it is. For example, an overlapping TRACKxx object is thought to be more critical for an error than having say, an NLAND just leaking onto the track.
Date: November 10, 2005 08:37PM
Hey?!? What is going on?

Date: November 10, 2005 08:49PM
Posted by: Paco
why every previous cc-line section is one sector long?

I'm against sigpics
Date: November 10, 2005 08:51PM
Posted by: b-tone
you've gone outside the limits, and you're using 15.3 which doesnt display the limits - get 16.4 :)

____
Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy