GP4 Track Editing - new new thread

Posted by markko 
GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: October 11, 2005 09:57PM
Posted by: markko
:)

Previous Thread: [www.grandprixgames.org]
The Ultimate Track Editing Guide

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2007 11:18AM by mortal.
Re: GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: October 11, 2005 10:00PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Right chaps, where were we? ;)
Date: October 11, 2005 10:09PM
Posted by: b-tone
so as i was saying the cars do a funny jump. its on about sector 600 of 1100 so its not the overlapping start line thing. and they jump miles, and end up spinning into the wall.

see here the top pic shows the sectors all loking as they should, but the cc line (a few straight length=10 ones are all over the show.
dding or deleting sectors makes no difference, nor does deleting the cc line and remaking it.

(a) is where it goes 'off' and (b) it kindof rejoins normalcy

____
Tony

Date: October 11, 2005 10:23PM
Posted by: Ruboy
@moderator:
Could you perhaps put a link of the old track editing thread in the first post?

Date: October 11, 2005 11:05PM
Posted by: Lo2k
@b-tone: well, could you send me your .dat file in order I could check it ?

Date: October 11, 2005 11:09PM
Posted by: markko
Added link to previous thread :)
Date: October 11, 2005 11:11PM
Thanks again Markko :)

Date: October 11, 2005 11:30PM
@b-tone: You're using 15.8? Why is the cc-line way off the track (or is that the actual problem?) Seems kinda strange that your cars would fly off the track for no apparent reason, when the cc-line is drawn perfectly across track...
Date: October 11, 2005 11:38PM
Posted by: JamesM
You probably have overlapping sectors... I had that once.

Try deleting a few before and a few after, then recreate them...

==================================
Huh?
Date: October 12, 2005 06:10AM
adding or deleting sectors makes no difference
;-)

thanks Lo2k - i'll send it to you :)

edit:

heres with the old (bottom) and new (top) 3de's so the new one found the bug - well done Lo2k & patrick!

____
Tony

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2005 06:15AM by b-tone.
Date: October 12, 2005 02:18PM
Posted by: Auradrummer
Lo2K,

Really, you new .bin file worked perfectly here. Thank you very much, my track is working right now. You saw my smooth elevations? Really, my maths doesn`t worked very fine, then I added an AMIF value (Auradrummer Math Incompetence Factor).

Thank you very much. And everybody, what can I do to avoid game crashing when pressing esc on my new track?
Date: October 12, 2005 02:20PM
@Auradrummer : lol for the AMIF :)
Well I still have no clue for the esc crash bug :/

Date: October 12, 2005 04:57PM
Escape crash I've found is mostly .bin related, and can normally be solved by at least deleting the final sector, creating .bin and adding that sector again. As it stands my oval has only had one crash on escape and that was when I first made the .bin. It could be cc-line related to a certain extent but I don't think so now we have the new code...
Date: October 12, 2005 07:12PM
Posted by: Auradrummer
Lo2K: I thought on a feature for the 3DEditor that could be implemented easily, I think. A guide line. A line coming out from the last sector straight to where it is heading.We could use such line to help us to orient over a scratch.

What do you think?
Date: October 12, 2005 07:13PM
There is one already, you just have to zoom in a lot ;)
Date: October 12, 2005 07:18PM
@B-tone: I looked at your track and met what I sometimes met before and that I perceived like an invisible wall all around the track. Once car reached the wall, it is irremediably attracted toward the center of the track.
But your track finaly reminded me the big square that was visible in Track Editor so I took back my old GP2 docs and found what I was looking for : there was a known world bound for tracks and it was defined by a 510units long square.

And it seems this old bound is still there.
You can check it hitting the "8" key in game (with GPxpatch) as Ricky also bound his track map to this limit.
I myself added the square limit in 3DEditor few minutes ago and here is the result:

So your track is badly going off the limit and for now your only solution is to rebuild your track closer to square center to avoid this trouble.
That's why I added in the to-do list a feature to displace a whole .dat track some weeks ago.

@All:
Anyhow, as I posted it on the last track editing thread, you maybe didn't saw that I just fixed two important troubles experimented so far by many of you:
- pitlane.bin generation was often wrong and could lead to many troubles and in particular game crashes
- garages floor where not drawn in .col files resulting in missing pitcrews
Both have been fixed for next 3DEditor version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2005 07:18PM by Lo2k.
Date: October 12, 2005 07:23PM
Ooo, already got plans (well a whole list actually ;) ) Good news about the .col faces cos it just gets irrittating after a while having to keep adding them...
Date: October 12, 2005 07:46PM
thanks alot Laurent - great (but annoying :p) that you found the problem.

i think i'll wait for either a shift whole track, or import all data function rather than rebuild it. atleast for now. (or do a truncated version)

for your information that part where they go out of bounds is quite fast. the cc cars do waht looks like a big downward bump and then usually spin out, but carry on on the track ourtside the box. if they dont break they continue round that hairpin and finish the lap.
the player car usually gets thrown of course, but not too badly. then i get pulled to the right, which makes sense - trying to keep me in or near the edge, but after the hairpin i can continue normally too.

____
Tony

Date: October 13, 2005 12:14PM
Posted by: Ruboy
Just a little questions about ZM:
Which buttons do I have to use to slice faces (e.g. of banks and verges). I've been trying but it was only partially successfull:(
Isn't there a function similar to 'Subdivide faces' like in 3DE for the .col file?

Date: October 13, 2005 11:37PM
Posted by: NS
got a request ;) isn't it possible to auto-select the next item you want to edit in the commands-menu?

see pictures, i mean theres no option to do it automatic yet, so if you want fences going wider smoothly, everytime you have to click 'next sector', and then double click in the box behind 'fence distance' and then enter the new number, wouldn't it be handier to auto-select that box then? then you eliminate clicking in the box to select the old value which saves time and frustration ;) i mean when you edit (for instance) fences and push 'next' its gonna look like this:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy