Posted by <Maverick> 
Re: How to build a track in 60 minutes [v0.51]
Date: July 16, 2005 10:00AM
Posted by: Lo2k
hmm, ok, I understand.

Date: July 16, 2005 02:23PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
Thanks to Maverick my cc-line now works, and I've sorted out the .gp4 file etc. But I have a few questions :)

The cars are going through the barriers. I know this is a fault of the cc-line, but shouldn't they still crash?

The shadows dissapear on the banking, is there anyway to stop this?

And a bit different, but when I exported the 3ds file to ZM, I couldn't see the track. THe list of parts came up, but none of the views ahd the track in. Its not a problem atm, but may be in the future. Should it show up, is it that normal?

THanks again

Date: July 16, 2005 02:53PM
Posted by: <Maverick>
Go Alesi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks to Maverick my cc-line now works, and I've
> sorted out the .gp4 file etc. But I have a few
> questions
>
> The cars are going through the barriers. I know
> this is a fault of the cc-line, but shouldn't they
> still crash?

Nope, the ccline seems to overrule everything, even if you let them drive through the grass or sand they will still drive as if they where on tarmac.

> The shadows dissapear on the banking, is there
> anyway to stop this?

Hm, shadows shouldn't disapear on the banking, but i havent seen much banked tracks, so maybe it's something for lo2k to look at?

> And a bit different, but when I exported the 3ds
> file to ZM, I couldn't see the track. THe list of
> parts came up, but none of the views ahd the track
> in. Its not a problem atm, but may be in the
> future. Should it show up, is it that normal?

Well it is visible, but it is problably to small to see so you should zoom in, or you are to close and have to zoom out, or it's to the sides, it's definatly there.

Date: July 16, 2005 03:54PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
Thanks. The shadows seem to dissapear only on the inside (ie lowest part) There's a strip of about 1 and a bit car widths on the inside where the shadows dissapear. The car may drive partly over this part, and so only the shadows on that part of the car will go. Maybe it's something to do with the banking type, although I haven't edited it's properties. All I did was add banking values.

Date: July 18, 2005 03:29PM
Posted by: fulcoboy
I don't understand something from your Tutorial. It sais: "What you do is place you dat and gp4 in the same directory. Open up the gp4 with a hexeditor, and make everything invisible like explained earlier. Now open up the gp4 file with 3deditor." This is for making a real layout. But when I put my Dat en GP4 file in one folder. What do I have to do next? If I open the GP4 file, only that opens and if I open the Dat file only that opens...
Date: July 18, 2005 05:20PM
Posted by: <Maverick>
if you open the gp4 both should open, you can see that because both the graphical and physical tab are there.

Date: July 18, 2005 05:28PM
Posted by: Paco
fulcoboy,

IF both the dat and gp4 files ARE in the same directory, then open the gp4 file with 3deditor and both files WILL open

I'm against sigpics
Date: July 18, 2005 07:38PM
Posted by: fulcoboy
Owkee, i've found it ;) Tnx guys, one more question though, is there a way to just like cut a piece of a track instead of almost the whole track?
Date: July 18, 2005 08:08PM
what do you mean? if you want to do something like select an amount of sectors and do copy/paste or similar, then that can't be done

I'm against sigpics
Date: July 19, 2005 11:49AM
Posted by: Lo2k
For now, either you delete one sector, either you delete all following sectors, there's no in between.

Date: July 19, 2005 07:39PM
Posted by: danm
@L02K regarding track objects

is there a way to delete multiple objects in the scenes please? currently i cant multiselect and one by one is slow!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: July 19, 2005 07:50PM
what you can do is delete a whole scene, otherwise, delete objects one by one... there's no other way so far

I'm against sigpics
Date: July 19, 2005 08:24PM
hmmm... but the purpose of scenes is that vital?

or is it just as a cake is divided into icing, sponge and jam?

spose it wouldnt matter if all objects are in one scene as another, just easier to separate and locate then?

Date: July 19, 2005 09:00PM
i don't really know, but i'd rather delete objects one by one, yes it could be long and tiring, but maybe deleting a whole scene could make your track crash, but give it a try, if it doesn't crash, then you're fine :)

I'm against sigpics
Date: July 19, 2005 09:04PM
no crash :D

Date: July 20, 2005 12:20PM
Posted by: Ruboy
I'm sorry for bringing this up again, but I can't find the description of how making all objects of the .gp4 invisible.:(
I know that I've read it about two weeks ago, but I don't know whether in a tutorial or in a post in this forum. I've serached for it but anyhow I can't recover it.:( Maybe I am too tired;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2005 12:26PM by Ruboy.
Date: July 20, 2005 02:23PM
Posted by: Lucasinio
Cheers Maverick, that is a really useful guide..Cheers!
Date: July 20, 2005 04:10PM
Posted by: JC_1507
Can i just ask why is it considered more difficult to edit a track?
Date: July 20, 2005 04:49PM
Posted by: Lucasinio
This also may sound stupid, but how to i start making my own track? All i can do is open up other tracks...
Date: July 20, 2005 06:11PM
Posted by: Tom2681
>>This also may sound stupid,
>>but how to i start making my own track?
>>All i can do is open up other tracks...

Don't worry, we were all newbies one day ;-)
As explained in Maverick's tutorial, you have to open an existing track and delete every sector after sector 2 or 3.
You can't create a track from scratch (although I feel that it will soon be possible).

>>Can i just ask why is it considered more difficult to edit a track?

Original GP4 tracks have many variables and unknowns. If you edit just one bit, you might have a lot of problems with bin files, col files, cc-line (everything that is related to track sectors).
I tried making a Monaco 1986 chicane and I failed. I ended up remaking Monaco from scratch to make it work (only the physical part of course ;-) )
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy