GP4 on Parallels Desktop?

Posted by Mjyys99 
GP4 on Parallels Desktop?
Date: May 04, 2022 01:23PM
Posted by: Mjyys99
Hi everyone!

So I recently tried to reinstall GP4 after many years, but my current computer is a Mac so I had to use Parallels Desktop. I managed to get all the way to the startup menu, but the game crashes whenever I try to start a race. I’m running it on Windows 11 for the first time, but I read on another thread here that it should work fine on it. I also tried all kinds of compatibility modes, but none of them seemed to help.

So have I done something wrong while installing, or is it simply impossible to run the game on Parallels? Thanks!
Re: GP4 on Parallels Desktop?
Date: May 04, 2022 02:17PM
Posted by: Öggo
I've never tried running GP4 using any sort of VM, but I can see potential issues with the virtualisation of the GFX card. A GPxPatch log could shed some light onto what your specific issue actually is.

That being said, I've successfully ran GP4 on WINE+Linux, which means there's no reason why it shouldn't run on WINE+macOS, without the need for a full VM.

Date: May 04, 2022 07:11PM
Posted by: Mjyys99
[pastebin.com]

Here's the log.
Date: May 06, 2022 09:40AM
Posted by: pirx
I had a Mac years ago and did many testings on all kind of platforms and virtual environments:
GP3/4 will not work well in emulated OS-environments like "Parallels" or "VMware", etc.

On a Mac you have 2 possibilities:
- Bootcamp with a native windows-system in dualboot-mode (I don´t know if this feature is still supported with the new Apple-CPUs?)
- Linux and Wine will work for GP4 (does not with GP3!)

"Oiııo.
........................................................................................................
Pilot Pirx
........................................................................................................

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2022 09:42AM by pirx.
Date: May 06, 2022 10:24AM
Posted by: F1B
I use Gp4 and Gp3 on parallele desktop, but I don't use Windows 11, I use Windows XP. My unique problem is in gp3: with the new circuits (that with debug beginning) I can not use... I don't know why....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy