Help-how to create an apha channel

Posted by gap177 
Help-how to create an apha channel
Date: May 21, 2010 05:06PM
Posted by: gap177
Hi guys, could someone who has time to give me a hand in understanding how to make an alpha channel for some gp4 track advertisements. I have PSP 7.0. I know absolutely nothing about this and wish to learn. I am presently updating Monaco(Plus) to 2010 standards for my own personal use. I'm just trying to increase my knowledge base as I would like to eventually look at making a track - a fictional version of Mosport. Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.

Glenn(Cdn)
Re: Help-how to create an apha channel
Date: May 21, 2010 08:06PM
Posted by: Excalibur
There are several methods to create alpha channels. Here is the easier and quicker one (but not the best for cars textures):

1 - Create a new file with the same dimensions than your original texture.
2- click on your texture, then Selection/ select all
3- move the texture into the new window.
4 - click on the original texture window and click on the "layers" tab: you see 4 channels: RVB, red, green and blue
5- On the bottom of the layers tab, click on "create a new layer" button (the window appears in black. Deselect the RVB, red, green and blue channels if they are enabled.
6- Click on the new window with the copy of your original texture, Selection/select all
7 - move the copy into the alpha channel (original texture window)
8 - Click on Edition /Fill with grey colour, opacity 50%. (You can also modify the luminosity and contrast if you want it a bit darker)

Save. It is done.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: May 21, 2010 08:15PM
Posted by: gap177
Thanks for the explaination. I will try this method out. Can I pm you if I need any clarification? Thanks again.

Glenn(Cdn)
Date: May 21, 2010 08:19PM
Yes but I'm using Photoshop CS4, not v.7....

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: May 22, 2010 12:46AM
Posted by: mortal
Post the Photoshop tutorial anyway, I can pin this to the FAQ for future reference. Thanks.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: May 22, 2010 12:58AM
Posted by: SpaceManMonster
Thank you and uh... Oh wait it's gonna be pinned...

thanks again!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2010 03:26AM by SpaceManMonster.
Date: May 22, 2010 02:23AM
Posted by: mortal

There ya go, have a stick. ;-) Woof!

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: October 25, 2020 01:02AM
Posted by: viking75
Hi ! I try to create new adverts but I don't know how to do the alpha layer. I use adobe photoshop but i understand nothing. I've found some tutorials on the web but all is in english. I searched on the forum and i found this topic but it's not clear for me. Where can I find more explanation ? Or better, is there a french who can explain me in a few lines please. Thx so much !!!
Date: October 25, 2020 01:21AM
viking75 écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi ! I try to create new adverts but I don't know
> how to do the alpha layer. I use adobe photoshop
> but i understand nothing. I've found some
> tutorials on the web but all is in english. I
> searched on the forum and i found this topic but
> it's not clear for me. Where can I find more
> explanation ? Or better, is there a french who can
> explain me in a few lines please. Thx so much !!!

Salut Viking75,
Send me the picture you want to work with by pm and I will show you how to do with a quick tutorial ;-)

Date: October 25, 2020 01:51AM
Thank so much, check your pm. Hope you will receive cause it's strange but I've no copy of my message in my pm.
Date: October 26, 2020 03:27PM
Sorry for the quality of the banner but I just did fast with microsoft word.

Date: October 26, 2020 06:02PM
Posted by: soulbringer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2020 08:16PM by soulbringer.
Date: October 26, 2020 07:44PM
Well, he wanted to replace some adverts on the tracks, such as the example below. So, a simple white alpha channel is needed and conversion into tex in dxt1, transparency: opaque, mipmaps: 4. Done :-)

Alphas for adverts are differents than for the cars.

Date: October 26, 2020 08:16PM
Posted by: soulbringer
Understood. Correcting my mistake then.
Date: October 26, 2020 11:00PM
soulbringer écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Understood. Correcting my mistake then.

No problem, Vladimir. Sorry, my answer had not for aim to delete your post because it has its place here as it concerns how to make an alpha layer. It is just that Viking request was specific to adverts for tracks.
Feel free to post the way you are making an alpha layer for the cars because it may interest people here who are looking for a tutorial. This is not "my" thread and there are many ways to create it :-)
I made a simple turorial but I will try to make an advanced tutorial for alpha render and ambient occlusion...

Date: October 29, 2020 12:55PM
Posted by: Noog
Quick note for GIMP users:

These are the menu options you need to check out:

LAYER - TRANSPARENCY - ADD ALPHA CHANNEL
LAYER - MASK - ADD LAYER MASK
LAYER - MASK - SHOW LAYER MASK

Mentioned because I tried (and failed) many times to do alpha layers in GIMP (in Linux), but it turns out, that's all you need to know really.

PS: If ADD ALPHA CHANNEL is greyed out, it's because the image already has one. Go straight to LAYER - MASK - ADD LAYER MASK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2020 12:59PM by Noog.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy