1993 Mod Questions

Posted by AustinF1 
1993 Mod Questions
Date: April 14, 2019 12:45AM
Posted by: AustinF1
I have began using the 1993 Mod download from GP4Central and have two questions; 1st, there is the rather large semi-transparent "standings" box that appears showing all 22 cars with the split times and lap speeds. How does that get turned off? 2nd, I prefer the sounds from the original game and is there a way to input that into the mods? Thanks
Re: 1993 Mod Questions
Date: April 14, 2019 01:05AM
Posted by: TomMK
1) Press 0

2) Delete all the files in the "Data\Sounds" folder.

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: April 14, 2019 03:51AM
Thanks for the quick reply, Tom. I have figured out how to run these other season/car sets with CSM but how does one get the TSM to work with these other carsets, i.e. to build/assign a different track set to the mod?
Date: April 14, 2019 10:45PM
Cannot locate a data/sounds folder(?). In fact, I'm not seeing how to open and explore any CSM mod files(?).
Date: April 14, 2019 11:38PM
Posted by: gap177
CSM mod files are usually found in your gpsaves folder. Mine=c:\program files (x86)\infogrames\grand prix 4\gpsaves.

Glenn (Cdn)
Date: April 15, 2019 01:48AM
Double-click the mod name in the CSM list of mods, it will open the folder containing the files. Or, navigate to "Grand Prix 4\GPSaves\Carsets\"

Date: April 18, 2019 12:38AM
Got the car sound stuff down. How do I apply the custom car set mods to a custom track set created in TSM?
Date: April 18, 2019 12:45AM
I prefer to use GPxTrack instead of TSM to install custom tracks, and recommend that approach to others.

If you really want to use TSM, have a search around these forums or if you have a specific problem you can start another post.

Date: April 18, 2019 06:45PM
Posted by: Noog
I agree with TomMK. It's well worth learning how to use GPxTrack.

TSM appealed to me the first time I used it (it is a nice idea) but it can be a bit complex to debug when it goes wrong and so GPxPatch is the way I do it now. I remember when I first started it seemed to be a nightmare to get tracks to work however I tried to do it but it's rare I have any problem at all these days. The only time I use TSM is to unpack a new .tuh file so I can use it with GPxTrack.

On a related note, something I do which I think Tom does also is to maintain a series of GP4 folders, zipped up, so if I want to have a go at the 1995 season for example, I just unzip the GP4 (1995) folder and drive. It takes a bit of extra hard disc space, but it seems to me it's the way to go. For example, some of the mods I've downloaded had annoying bugs like mirrors being upside down etc. If you use CSM those bugs will reoccur each time you install the .cuh, but once I fix a mod and zip it up it's fixed for good; along with all the tweaked PF and MD files etc. After two years of tweaking and re-mixing I'm finally at the stage where I have seventeen (almost) perfect mods zipped up and ready to go. Another advantage is that because each mod is a completely separate installation of GP4 it's much harder to mess things up - and even if you do, you just unzip it again and away you go.
Date: April 18, 2019 08:16PM
Posted by: landex
Noog, I felt the same as you with TSM, and the tracks at the beginnig.

Well, there is a way(trick) to use the mods made from CSM in alone.

1. Start mod in CSM.
2. When the game is started with sucess go back to Win destop(alt+TAB) without ending the game.
3.Make a new folder like "gp4 mod 1993" and copy the all gp4 folder where the mod is running.
4. Now you can end the game and start the mod in the new directory without CSM.:-)

There are some(a lot) files in the new directory who can be delete. And its more simple to modify things, like gpxpatch and gp4tweaker stuff.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2019 08:20PM by landex.
Date: April 18, 2019 09:09PM
@ landex

Hi. Yes, that's what I do too, except as a Linux user I run any new .cuh files through CSM in a virtual WinXP machine with a default GP4 installation, then go back into my native Linux environment and copy everything into a folder on there. Same thing really. I also delete unused bits where I can and especially before I zip the folder up for storage - but a warning to anyone else doing that - use caution. It's easy to delete too much and prevent the game from running so make a back up.

I remember spending hours, maybe days, 'fixing' the 1979 beta season only to find it didn't work anymore because I'd deleted something or other - and because I didn't know any better at the time I re-installed the mod using CSM - only to realize just after I did it that I had completely destroyed all my fixes. Oh well, I guess it was a good learning experience but it was pretty frustrating at the time.
Date: April 18, 2019 09:21PM
Noop, exactly!:)

I spend 2Months I remember the mod too: 1991. Phoenix was in the mod in those days.
When I figure it out, it was easy.
Date: April 20, 2019 12:24AM
Wish we could get CSM / ZaZ Tools working in Linux.... :(

Date: April 20, 2019 02:15AM
TomMK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wish we could get CSM / ZaZ Tools working in
> Linux.... :(

I suppose it would be the icing on the cake. I did fight with CSM a while back but didn't get much further than using it to unpack a .cuh from within Linux. That said, I'm able to run GP4 under Linux and WinXP under wine at the same time so VirtualBox bridges the gaps pretty well. One of the biggest annoyances for me is having to go into Windows to load up slimtex.exe to convert a GIMP modified .tga to a .tex and dump it in a .wad, but I can live with that.
Date: April 20, 2019 01:02PM
Posted by: RHill
TomMK Wrote:
> I prefer to use GPxTrack instead of TSM to install
> custom tracks, and recommend that approach to
> others.
>
> If you really want to use TSM, have a search
> around these forums or if you have a specific
> problem you can start another post.

Hi Tom
With the gpxtrack method does the slot number you select need to match the 2001 track order/wad name? Eg if the wad is called Montreal does it need going onto slot 8 because round 8 in 2001 was Montreal?

Or does it not matter you just select the track in the game menu with the slot you put it on?
Date: April 20, 2019 01:24PM
Great question RHill! I'm always happy to help a fellow GPxTrack convert :)

No, it doesn't matter which slot you use, GPxTrack can handle it, as long as there is only 1 track in the folder, like this. So only 1x .dat, 1x .wad, 1x .ini etc.

The important point to remember is - regardless of which slot - I do advise that the .wad file should have an original 2001 filename, e.g. nurburgring2001.wad or indianapolis2001.wad. But it doesn't matter which one. And you are free to rename all the other files (.dat, .ini, .gpi, etc) but the .wad is sensitive and needs to keep its original 2001 name.

Date: April 20, 2019 01:57PM
Posted by: RHill
Converted!!
Date: April 20, 2019 04:22PM
Just one minor caveat RHill.

I'm not sure if Tom has found this but once or twice (ie not very often at all), I've come across the odd track that I couldn't get to work in a non-standard slot with GPxTrack, but when I did put it back in it's original slot it worked OK. I think I know how to fix that properly now but it's worth bearing in mind if you get a problem getting a circuit to run and you're looking for a quick fix.
Date: April 20, 2019 06:23PM
The GpxTrack only managers the .dat files, not the wad file. Its never need to rename the .dat files only the respective wad file and his contents. Its happen often, you choose dat but it loads a diferent wad.

By the way: Are the commands for the Easywad in command prompt?
Date: April 20, 2019 09:53PM
landex Wrote:

> By the way: Are the commands for the Easywad in
> command prompt?

You're not getting a warning about an 'illegal switch' are you?

If so, here's how to fix it:

Go into Windows Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types

Scroll down to WAD

click the ADVANCED button*

Set Default to "OPEN WITH GUI"

Update: * If you don't have an ADVANCED button, select WAD, click the CHANGE button and select EASYWAD. When you click OK you should now have an ADVANCED button.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2019 09:59PM by Noog.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy