CSM and Track relationship

Posted by Slasher 
CSM and Track relationship
Date: February 06, 2019 05:04AM
Posted by: Slasher
Hi Everyone.

I've just started using CSM, (and yep don't ask why it took me so long!), and am having trouble understanding the relationship between a CSM Mod and tracks.

To give a little background, i use tracks which i have modified using Cmagic to have a closer racing experience between myself and the AI, and have it working well for most tracks.

When i start the sim using just GPXPatch, my tracks are there, as they are when using CSM. Yet the magic data between the two tracks are vastly different depending on which i start the sim with, CSM or GPXPatch.

For example starting with GPXPatch using Pro level at Melbourne, i have the magic data set so i generally do a pole lap in around 1:26 flat, with the AI at around the same time. Yet starting with CSM the times are way quicker,
at around 1:22.

Even the track tarmac is different, darker when starting via CSM, yet its the same track.

I have found the following thread but am struggling to understand it. Went to the link involving tracks.set because i think that may have my answers, but the link is broken. [www.grandprixgames.org]

So how does it work? CSM can obviously see my tracks in the GP4 folder as they originally are, but unlike when starting the sim via GPXPatch and reading the .dat file from the circuits folder within the sim, CSM seems to be reading
the track data from elsewhere.

I know TSM has magic data but would prefer to do deal with tracks the original way.

Could somebody shed some light on the above, including how the track tarmac is a different shade, because that has me stumped.

Thank You.

Slasher.
Re: CSM and Track relationship
Date: February 07, 2019 10:32AM
Posted by: TomMK
Lap times are a product of several items that affect performance. The main ones are:

1) Performance file
2) Physics file
3) Torque file
4) Track Magic Data

A CSM carset will typically provide the first 3. The Track will contain #4.

In your case, since you are using the same track, the place that I suspect is causing the difference is actually the CSM mod you've selected. So my next question would be - which CSM mod are you using?

Edit: I've fixed the links in my old post so you can refer to them.

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2019 10:57AM by TomMK.
Date: February 07, 2019 11:15AM
Posted by: Slasher
Thanks for the reply Tom.

I think your right about the CSM mod. Its the 2018 mod.

So how would i manipulate the magic data without using TSM?

Thanks for the link, will look now.

Slasher.
Date: February 08, 2019 12:35AM
Posted by: TomMK
Well, a 2018 Mod should be quicker than the 2001 original season, because the cars are quicker now, so I would say the behaviour is correct! Pole in 2018 was a 1:21.

But if you still want to modify it, my preferred way of editing Magic Data is using CMagic. Using CMagic, you extract the Magic Data from the circuit .dat file to a text file, modify it, then re-insert it.

Alternatively, GP4 Builder allows you to edit Magic Data directly within the .dat file. But I find working in a text editor easier.

While I'm on the topic, check out the Magic Data I have included within my own GP4 Central 2018 Mod. In CSM, double-click the mod and you will see a folder called Extras. In there are Magic Data files for many tracks, all tailored to the 2018 season.

Beware though - Magic Data is a dark art as much as a science - and some of us have been thoroughly consumed by it! :)hothothot Come join us!

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2019 12:37AM by TomMK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy