Gp4 what future?

Posted by Tobor 
Gp4 what future?
Date: August 12, 2018 08:19PM
Posted by: Tobor
Dear friends,

the question that you can read in the object of this message is, my personal opinion, the most urgent issue with Grand Prix 4 future.
First at all we want to assure all of you that the Paypal situation is definitely closed for us. Also we want to assure you that will never happen again in the future: we took that decision to try to keep the site alive and, most important, to try to stop the illegal seller on Ebay.

The most important question is: how we all can find a way to let people that is not capable to make a GP4 mod themselves to play with a nice 2018 mod? The illegal Ebay seller and the permission policy are stopping all the sites in distributing a complete 2018 Gp4 mod to all the fans. And this is a real shame because there are still a lot of people out there that love Grand Prix 4!!!!

Please I ask to all the administrators of GP4 sites, all the developers and modders to find a common way to let people to play for free with a nice Gp4 2018 mod!!!! Do not let this game die!!! Let's write again the rules all together, let's put together all the ideas to stop the illegal seller on Ebay, let's try to cooperate to give for free to Grand Prix 4 fans a veryy nice 2018 mod!!!!
We really hope that people of good will listen to this accorate words and try to find together a solution and, If necessary, to write new rules and policy togheter.
Cooperation between all GP4 sites can only bring positive results for everyone.

Many thanks fro your attention

GP4 INTERNATIONAL STAFF.
Hope to hear from you soon and I wish the best for everyone
Re: Gp4 what future?
Date: August 12, 2018 10:30PM
Posted by: mortal
Just because you want to write new rules and policy certainly doesn't mean that everyone will accept and follow them.
People have the right to choice and freedom on whether they wish to freely share their work.
I get the impression that you want people to do what you want, so you can get what you want. That's just not going to happen. How about you show some respect for their choices and accept it.
As for eBay sellers, again that is a choice that some people choose to make. So make a complaint, there's not much else you can do about it or just go and buy it.
I have seen this type of discussion many times and I'll tell you right now that this site will not be re-writing its rules and policy or engaging with other sites because it's just a pointless waste of time. For what its worth, I've been running this site for close to sixteen years now, I've seen it all before.
As for your so-called PayPal issue, charging people to access a site is a bit rough in my opinion. If people wish to make a donation, as they can on this site, it is their choice to do so if they wish.
GP4 is not going to die off just because there isn't a complete 2018 mod either. If you want it that badly and want to increase traffic on your site, buy the eBay mod and then release it for free. That right there is the simplest solution.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 13, 2018 07:23AM
Posted by: huskyman49
#mortal: I completely agree with you...
Date: August 13, 2018 08:34AM
Posted by: amaniera
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just because you want to write new rules and
> policy certainly doesn't mean that everyone will
> accept and follow them.
> People have the right to choice and freedom on
> whether they wish to freely share their work.
> I get the impression that you want people to do
> what you want, so you can get what you want.
> That's just not going to happen. How about you
> show some respect for their choices and accept it.
>
> As for eBay sellers, again that is a choice that
> some people choose to make. So make a complaint,
> there's not much else you can do about it or just
> go and buy it.
> I have seen this type of discussion many times and
> I'll tell you right now that this site will not be
> re-writing its rules and policy or engaging with
> other sites because it's just a pointless waste of
> time. For what its worth, I've been running this
> site for close to sixteen years now, I've seen it
> all before.
> As for your so-called PayPal issue, charging
> people to access a site is a bit rough in my
> opinion. If people wish to make a donation, as
> they can on this site, it is their choice to do so
> if they wish.
> GP4 is not going to die off just because there
> isn't a complete 2018 mod either. If you want it
> that badly and want to increase traffic on your
> site, buy the eBay mod and then release it for
> free. That right there is the simplest solution.

Ciao Mortal,
I totally respect your conclusion but in some ways I disagree: totally agree with you that developers and modders have of course the right to give or not permissions to use their materials for mods and I also believe that is their choices have to be fully respected. The main problems is that many many Grand Prix 4 followers and fans (that are unable to build their own mods only for private usage) at this point can't have mods of the current year to download for free and play. In other words there is only one possibility: download the material (and sometimes it's not even possible to have access to all the cars and tracks) and build your own mod.
I am an old Crammond fan and I had been playing all his games since GP1 on the Amiga and I remeber in the old days there was much more freedom to freely download materials and mods from the GP sites. Of course there was much more respect for other people's work (I don't remeber people selling mod with no permissions on ebay) but there was always available a mod of the current year for everyone to download and play. For example I am one of those people really unable to build a mod, not even modify an helmet in the game and I remeber downloading from this great site many wonderful and complete mods. I am grateful that this site and all the authors gave me the chance to spend some of my free time playing on an updated version of Grand prix 4.
That said i really hope that people like me will have the chance someday to play with an updated version of the current year of this great simulator and that the authors will be more open in giving permissions for to use their creations for modders that want to build an updated version of Grand Prix 4.
That's just my two cents
PS: excuse my bad english
Date: August 13, 2018 10:11AM
Posted by: kedy89
Absolute nonsense.

Ever since the permission policy has been introduced, way more mods have been released than in the years before. Those that agreed to it you simply have to credit, the few that didn't you still have to ask for permission. And in my experience, they give it in 99% of the cases. All in all it made the life of a mod compiler much easier.

The only thing that was stopping a 2018 mod from being released so far is that necessary files (tyres!!!, cockpits, pitcrews) hadn't been made. Without those compiling a mod was pointless. The permission policy had absolutely nothing to do with it. The last years we've seen mods being released for every season. 2017 being the only exception (so far), since only 3 cars have been made.

As for people not being able to play recent seasons due to lack of modding knowledge. I absolutely agree that building a CSM mod is by no means easy. It takes a lot of time until you really get the hang of it. But building a cars.wad? All the info you need for that should be in the FAQ. Honestly I don't think it is that difficult to do that on your own. It rather seems to me that people don't really bother trying.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Date: August 13, 2018 08:36PM
Posted by: n00binio
kedy89 schrieb:
> As for people not being able to play recent
> seasons due to lack of modding knowledge. I
> absolutely agree that building a CSM mod is by no
> means easy. It takes a lot of time until you
> really get the hang of it. But building a
> cars.wad? All the info you need for that should be
> in the FAQ. Honestly I don't think it is that
> difficult to do that on your own. It rather seems
> to me that people don't really bother trying.

+1, I would actually say that even building a basic csm carset is not that hard. My experience is that if you are building a mod for persoal use you don't need a myriad of settings, instead you just directly tune everything to your liking. It needs a bit of knowledge, but mostly it takes time and this is probably the biggest issue here.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: August 14, 2018 12:44PM
Posted by: shep34
Worst topic in 5 years.....

GPGSL Team Owner Debut - Melbourne, Season 8 - present
GPGSL Test Debut - Hungary, Season 4. GPGSL Race Debut - Adelaide, Season 5.
Date: August 14, 2018 02:50PM
Posted by: huskyman49
#AUS_Doug :-)(Y)(B)
Date: August 14, 2018 03:52PM
Posted by: gezere
kedy89 écrivait:
> Absolute nonsense.
>
> Ever since the permission policy has been
> introduced, way more mods have been released than
> in the years before. Those that agreed to it you
> simply have to credit, the few that didn't you
> still have to ask for permission. And in my
> experience, they give it in 99% of the cases. All
> in all it made the life of a mod compiler much
> easier.
>
> The only thing that was stopping a 2018 mod from
> being released so far is that necessary files
> (tyres!!!, cockpits, pitcrews) hadn't been made.
> Without those compiling a mod was pointless. The
> permission policy had absolutely nothing to do
> with it. The last years we've seen mods being
> released for every season. 2017 being the only
> exception (so far), since only 3 cars have been
> made.
>
>
> As for people not being able to play recent
> seasons due to lack of modding knowledge. I
> absolutely agree that building a CSM mod is by no
> means easy. It takes a lot of time until you
> really get the hang of it. But building a
> cars.wad? All the info you need for that should be
> in the FAQ. Honestly I don't think it is that
> difficult to do that on your own. It rather seems
> to me that people don't really bother trying.

Nothing to add at Tobi's post. The current permission Policy here is surely the best and the most smooth you can find around and as far as I know the huge majority of active modders agreed.
So the solution is surely not to change our rules...

Date: August 14, 2018 10:56PM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
Worst post I've seen in years. Some people don't realize that the guys that mod spend huge amount of their free time creating cars, tracks etc. to just be able
to run the files ingame. Some of these files are convertions from other games, were the authors don't give their permission which means they can't release them.

If you really want to build a mod for GP4, take a look what kind of files that's been released and read the permission policy which authors that have given you the green
light to use their files if you credit them. The others, you PM and ask for permission. If you feel you are missing files, you are more than welcome to learn your way
through modding yourself and then finish the mod.

A post like this just shows us that you are to lazy to learn/create something yourself and that you have no respect for the people that accually DO keep GP4 alive.
Be greatful for what you have!

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy