Need new PC

Posted by AustinF1 
Need new PC
Date: April 01, 2017 03:21PM
Posted by: AustinF1
The old HP XP box is starting to lay down on me and I am shopping for a new box. I have a Nvidia GT740 graphics card, HD power supply and SSD hard drive that I could transfer to my new one. I'm thinking to get a Windows 7 machine with at least 8 gigs of ram. So far as the processor and anything else, any suggestions? Also, is anyone familiar or had experience with an Intel Xeon processor? I think I read somewhere that GP4 would not use any dual or quad core processing capabilities anyway. Thoughts anyone? Thx, Austin F1
Re: Need new PC
Date: April 01, 2017 06:29PM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
I don't think you need a special PC with modern technique to play GP4. I just bought a very, very cheap computer with an onboard graphic solution and even this is enough to play GP4 with high graphic settings. In general most of the data for GP4 are calculated by the graphic card, not by the processor. So the processor is not that important. Even an old Intel pentium IV might be enough.

The only thing is, maybe you should avoid a laptop. Some players in the past had a lot of trouble to install GP4 on their laptops, although I already did it successfull on 2 laptops so far. Everything else is secondary if the components are at least from 2011 or newer. Older components should be looked at, if they are quick enough for e.g. Bahrain. And, of course, WindowsXP is still the best System for Grand Prix 4, although it will also work on newer OSs.
Date: April 07, 2017 06:17PM
Posted by: Divine_Gamer
Hi there AustinF1, I see you're having difficulty selecting a new PC. I'm here to help :)

What are you looking for?
Do you specifically want to play GP4, or are you interested in other games?
If you're interested in other games e.g GTA V, rFactor, F1 2016, Watch Dogs 2 and so on, then you'll need a good rig.
If you wish to play GP4 or similar games (age wise), then you won't need anything fancy.

Please respond if you require further help (You should do). We can discuss further options (budget etc).
Date: April 08, 2017 06:54PM
I may try some of the newer race sims. GP4 has always been my favorite as I have a seven year old and the "rookie" mode in GP4 keeps him ontrack and I have yet to find another sim like that. Your thoughts?
Date: April 09, 2017 12:55AM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
I really don't understand the sense of this thread. Okay, you want to play a realistic racing simulation with up-to-date cars, nearly all tracks all over the world and lots of different racing series that works on all computers and systems?

Then try Grand Prix 4. I played the F1 series by Codemasters for a while, but after just 2 weeks it is with it's not at all moddable game engine as boring as looking at gras how it grows. And in a GP4 forum you will never hear a different opinion, because the stupidness of today's racing games is the only reason why GP4 still exists.
Date: April 09, 2017 03:50PM
Don't get excited, friend. I have no desire to scrap GP4, my favorite for many years. Just putting the question out there on what would be the most optimum hardware package if new PC replacement was necessary. Thanks
Date: April 10, 2017 12:06PM
Posted by: Divine_Gamer
If you're interested in newer racing sims e.g rFactor or any other newer game, then you need a `decent` pc.
If you want to play newer games on higher settings for the optimum experience, then I suggest you look into new GPU`S (Graphics Card) and a decent CPU (Processor).

For example, if you're interested in newer games:
GPU: GTX 1060 £180-300 (Depending on model)
GTX 1060 6GB MSI - £280
GTX 1060 3GB [Insert Model] - £220ish
CPU: Intel i5 7600k £205-220
RAM: 16GB DDR4 Ram e.g Corsair Dominator. £160 (Try others if price is too high).
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Pro Socket LGA1151 £105ish
PSU: Corsair 650W [Insert Model] £50-80

Then you need to select a HDD/SDD you want.
HDD - Storage
SSD - Windows

It's up to you if you decide to purchase both or just the HDD. I suggest a 250gb SSD paired with a 2TB HDD.

The case, monitor, Mouse, Keyboard etc are up to you.

This is just an example build, you can upgrade or downgrade if you wish. You can build it yourself or have it built.
It really depends on what games you play. Newer racing sims and newer games would benefit off this build. If you're not too fussed, then try something cheaper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 12:07PM by Divine_Gamer.
Date: April 23, 2017 01:04AM
Is it fact that GP4 only utilizes a single core from the processor so any dual or quad or whatever multiple core processor is waste and overkill for this game (newer sims not considered)?
Date: April 23, 2017 01:43AM
Posted by: phantaman
Yes, but a high clock cpu is interesting.

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy