Autódromo da Madeira fantasy track v1.0 [RELEASED, link on page 4]

Posted by paranoik0 
News: see page 4 for link to the full released track

===========================================================

I've been working on a fantasy track for a while, and since it's mildly playable now, I decided to release it to see if I can get some feedback or help, and to pressure myself to finish it properly... which will probably still take a couple of months.

It's a long (6.95 km) track with some elevations, fast S's and almost flat out turns. The main goal was to try to make a fun, fast, flowing layout. My biggest problem is the graphics, I'm completely clueless and talentless at everything graphical, so if anyone could give some help on this, I'd appreciate it a lot. But currently the focus is still on the physics, as there's a couple of tasks to do yet.

Download link : (removed)

Layout:

Couple of screenshots (with the GP2 World Series mod):

I don't have a name for the track yet, you can give some ideas. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Done:

* full layout which should be final, after lots and lots of variations attempted
* basic pitlane
* basic kerbs
* basic cc-line
* smooth track elevations
* track width
* bank widths

To-do list:

PHYSICS
* improve exit kerbs shape and placement
* put some banking on some turns
* work on the bank heights to make the track look natural within the yet-to-be-build terrain
* improve the CC-line (although i think it's drivable now)
* improve pit entry/exit
* create sand/tarmac run-off on some places and work on the .col file
* fix fuel consumption
* make track sligthly more slippery if possible
* fix a couple of glitches/bumps in some turns where the sectors aren't all of the same size

GRAPHICS
(well, just about everything)
* delete/displace the original Hungaroring objects, some are still in the way of the track
* track marks (starting grid, pit lines, sector lines)
* pitboxes and everything around the pits
* find good textures for tarmac, kerbs, etc
* create land around the track
* create crowd stands, objects and scenery around the track
* 50/100/150 metres signs

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2008 09:38PM by paranoik0.
very intersting layout, i'll have a look!

X (@ed24f1)
Re: WIP Fantasy Track (early playable beta available)
Date: August 16, 2007 05:52PM
Posted by: Ahlex
Looks good, well done !
I am going to test it for you :)

I don't know the city where you live, but maybe you can call it to your hometown?
Date: August 16, 2007 06:30PM
Posted by: kimiraik
Thank you, gonna give it a go!
Date: August 16, 2007 07:19PM
Posted by: carling
Just had quick race, looks good and layout look forward to next release.
My Fantasy Track still has no name aswell.
Date: October 02, 2007 12:18AM
Posted by: paranoik0
This project has been stopped/going at a very slow pace for a while.. but today I decided to spend some time with it again and made some progress:

This is just a small part of the track though.. it's still a long, long way from a decent release.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2007 12:19AM by paranoik0.
Re: WIP Fantasy Track
Date: October 02, 2007 05:56AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Looking good.

Cheers :)
Date: October 02, 2007 11:39AM
Posted by: Sohle
Date: October 06, 2007 11:29PM
Posted by: RRoobbiinn
I'm astonished! what a great track, so much fun to drive!
Date: November 22, 2007 07:16PM
I found a way to create land and things seemed to be going along quite well.. I got excited and made almost all the surroundings of the track:

It even looked quite cool in places: (well, except for the over-usage of the green texture.. I swear I need to change that as soon as possible, it's making me wanna puke)

Thing is, I kept looking at it from a top-view and didn't realise that the method I used wasn't doing exactly what I thought it did, and it also created tons of useless faces... below the ground! Now I have hundreds of faces that are creating all sorts of minor graphical glitches and I need to delete them.

While I go fix it, you can have a look at an onboard lap of the track, and how it looked before I built these huge land objects:

Current to-do list:

- Remove useless faces below the ground in the land objects.

- Build the remaining land.

- Try to improve the mapping of the land.

- Fix .col file problem where some kerbs that are supposed to have "hard" feeling, instead have "gravel" feeling (this is why you'll see me avoiding many kerbs in the onboard lap).

- Put some "green things" on the verges around some kerbs.

- Place the pitbuilding and garages correctly.

- Place all sorts of objects around the circuit.

- Find and place better textures everywhere.

- Do the lines for the pitlane entry/exit and the starting grid.

- Fix fuel consumption.

- Possibly make the track slippier if possible in the physics, it turns out the track is challenging in just a perfect way for the 1979 mod, but for the more modern mods too many turns become flat out, which they aren't supposed to be.

- Make a better cc-line.

- Improve track cameras (I'm always going to be limited on this because the original track only had 12 cameras).

- Fix 1 or 2 minor bumps in the track.

- Delete the original Hungaroring objects below the circuit (I'm keeping them so far because I might need to bring some of them to the surface!)

Oh, and the track has a name now: Autódromo da Madeira.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2007 07:31PM by paranoik0.
Re: WIP Autódromo da Madeira fantasy track
Date: November 22, 2007 07:32PM
Posted by: Sohle
great news...
Date: November 23, 2007 03:50AM
Posted by: gildoorf
Hi Paranoiko

Flowing and wild.

Just great... As 70´s perfect ones!

Congratulations

Date: November 27, 2007 08:10PM
I've pretty much fixed the problem of the conflicting faces (there are still some faces buried in the ground but I think they're not going to be a problem), and I've been having fun adding more objects in the first couple of corners, mostly trees, adverts and some areas of coloured grass. Also made some new track cameras.

But the best news for the track was the release of the DTM mod, because these cars fit the track better than everything I had tried so far. The level of grip is spot on, and the fact these cars seem to hit top speed very fast helps to disguise the biggest flaw in the track layout: all the straights are very short, making overtaking very difficult in F1 mods (specially between the AI).

So here are some shots:

Some from the new TV cameras:

The biggest problem right now is the mapping, it simply looks horrendous in some places:

And there are some other glitches here and there in the graphics - I have no clue why:

(missing face, everything looks ok in gp4builder)

(look at the bridge. it keeps on having these black stripes flashing as i approach it, it's weird)

Now I'm gonna try NOT to work further on the track this week, and rather concentrate on my graduation project. :)
Date: December 11, 2007 01:10AM
I've been adding stuff here and there: a bunch of objects from original gp4 tracks.. lots of trees.. walls built with the "add fences from dat" feature.. hi-res textures and adverts.. real scenario background from the island (although this is a bit half-assed at the moment).. photorealistic sky (by TTM).. the land mapping has been fixed quite a long time ago too..

The track is starting to get quite a weird classic vs modern feeling.. guess I was a bit undecided on what kind of stuff to add, and it's now clashing against each other.. one thing is clear, I want to give different "feelings" to different zones in the circuit.

I have no idea when all of this is going to be finished, I'm spending a lot more time on it than I should, added tons of stuff, yet there are still loads of different things to do, and massive empty areas to fill, the track is really bloody big!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 01:11AM by paranoik0.
Date: December 11, 2007 01:38AM
Posted by: Ruboy
That looks really nice - keep going :)

I see you discovered why building tracks takes so much time :)
Now imaginge you would build a real-life track and you would have to pay attention to so much details to get it as accurate as possible - that's the next step ;)

But really good...the layout looks quite hazardous but it has nice elevations :)

Just make sure to get everything as perfect as possible before you release it...you have to be satisfied with the result and have the feeling that the track is up to 100% finished plus with no bugs.

Btw, if you need any hi-res textures (you can also downsize them to mid-res) you can take any texture of my own track projects or projects I have participated in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 01:40AM by Ruboy.
Date: December 11, 2007 07:22AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
looks really nice!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: December 11, 2007 10:05AM
Posted by: fongu
very nice :)

Date: December 11, 2007 02:03PM
Posted by: kimiraik
Really ace :)
Date: December 11, 2007 04:43PM
Posted by: RRoobbiinn
Woow, wonderfull!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy