Problem with own cars

Posted by TGF1DRIVER 
Problem with own cars
Date: December 01, 2013 11:14PM
Posted by: TGF1DRIVER
Hello, I have a very weird problem with getting my own cars in GP4, hope someone can help me. Using this tutorial,

I achieved after many hours of work to get all 22 cars into the game. But now the weird error: The car with which you are driving (or riding with) is shown correctly, in each perspective. But at the same time, the other cars have all the same colour of one of my own cars. When you are starting from 22nd place, you see 21 identical cars in front of you. :( A car is only shown correctly when you use the perspective of the respecting driver (or the camera perspective for that car). But when you are driving very close to another car (about a meter or less), the right car texture is shown, but only so long you are not getting away more than that one meter, if you do the car texture of the car you are not riding with turns back to the look the other 20 cars have at this time.

At first all cars (even the one you are currently driving with) were white from all perspectives, but I read somewhere that you just have to delete the "hi_" in front of the tex-file, so I did this eleven times and got that amazing error. hot I created the tex-files and the cars.wad once again and searched for mistakes for many hours, but there isn't any. I also opened the f1graphics.cfg and turned 0 to 1 and the other way round, but nothing helped. I'm quite sure that it's only a little mistake, but I simply can't find it! So you are my last hope now.
Re: Problem with own cars
Date: December 02, 2013 08:57AM
Posted by: littleone90
have you changed with gp4builder the texture name of each car? or every car has the same file name for the texture?

take a look here ;) [www.grandprixgames.org]

i have the same problem time ago and i fix it with the help of skaaningeN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2013 09:03AM by littleone90.
Date: December 02, 2013 03:14PM
I changed the texture name of each car with GP4Builder, as far as I know. And I renamed every single car and the tga-files were renamed already before I put them to tex-files with Slimtex. Maybe I will try the complete renaming action once again....
Date: December 02, 2013 07:09PM
Posted by: truecrysis
This is to do with the lods of the car. If you want to stop this there are two choices, changing all the lods from lod_0 to lod_4 to have the textures renamed as they should be, which will allow the texture to appear at any distance. You could also force lod_0 only using a setting somewhere (i'm not particularly sure where this is so someone else will need to give me detail on this!)

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: December 02, 2013 07:20PM
Posted by: quickslick
@truecrisis, lod0 thingy is in teameditor, carshapes section force best carshapes
Date: December 02, 2013 07:55PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
If you have problem with own cars, you should try GTA. ;-)

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: December 02, 2013 08:08PM
I really tried everything until now, but I still get 22 identical cars, just the way I said yesterday. But I realized, when I put out the one tex-file in which every car is shown, that then all cars are white (except the respective car you are riding with). I'm quite sure that I did something special to that one tex-file, but I can't remember what! :( I lost many hours again and still got nowhere on this problem! hot
Date: December 02, 2013 09:25PM
Posted by: TomMK
I agree with the above - this is a lods issue. You need to change the name of the texture in every car shape file (lod_0 to lod_4), not just lod_0.

Alternatively you could force GP4 to use only lod_0 if you can't be bothered changing dozens of .gp4 files (I would pick this option!).

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: December 02, 2013 10:24PM
How can I force GP4 to use only lod_0? I read somewhere above that I can achieve that with Team Editor, but that tool doesn't work for me because an error message occurs when I try to open it. Is there any other way except using Team Editor?
Date: December 02, 2013 11:47PM
Posted by: Foreverk
There´s an utility in csm tools to edit your f1graphics.cfg (F1graphics.exe), you could try with that one.
Date: December 03, 2013 12:15AM
Foreverk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There´s an utility in csm tools to edit your
> f1graphics.cfg (F1graphics.exe), you could try
> with that one.

No that utility doesn't contain an option to use lod_0 only.

@ TGF1DRIVER - you need to get TeamEditor working. Ask Lo2k (Laurent) for help.

Date: December 03, 2013 09:25PM
Now I got Team Editor working, but it seems to be very complicated to me, maybe someone knows an easier way? I already tried renaming all lods to lod_0 such as renaming only lod_4 to lod_0, but in both cases the cars appear as the original GP4 Jaguar R2 from 2001 in all camera angles. I think that's a step in the wrong direction. I got exactly the same problem as described here: [www.grandprixgames.org] Maybe I did something wrong with renaming again? :(
Date: December 03, 2013 10:28PM
Posted by: Foreverk
But if you have Team Editor working is the easiest way! all you need to do is that:

Date: December 03, 2013 10:42PM
I tried it and the cars are still white! :( As I said it's no mistake with the lods but a mistake from renaming or converting tex-files or something like that. But I checked everything already....
Date: December 03, 2013 10:54PM
Send me the files (upload them somewhere and PM me a link) and I'll try to figure out what's wrong.

Date: December 04, 2013 09:23PM
Thank you so much for your help, finally I got it working. :-) My mistake was that I only renamed lod_0 of each car, but I should have renamed all five lods of each car. But now it works fine!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy