replace old steering arm

Posted by SAMF1 
replace old steering arm
Date: April 17, 2008 08:06AM
Posted by: SAMF1
do any one please have an idea to change that retard steering arm and maybe change into 3d

Re: replace old steering arm
Date: April 17, 2008 08:11AM
Posted by: fongu
there was a 3d arm and steering wheel attached to the helmet shape, but that looked even more retarded

Date: April 17, 2008 09:06AM
Posted by: Viper-F1.com
I like the 3D arms! True, the steering doesn't pivot round and the Monaco hairpin looks daft, but I've got it set up to have different steering wheels onto a standard shape, and it looks awesome! :0)
Date: April 17, 2008 09:52AM
To be honest both have their disadvantages and both have their plus points, but I prefer the 2d arms and from the looks of things so do most people.

Date: April 17, 2008 10:08AM
Posted by: Craigo
is there a way we can increase the size of the 2d wheels? I like 2d but often think they seem to small??

Date: April 17, 2008 10:16AM
i think there's a square shape somewhere in the cars.wad which i don't know if its the internal wheel or external or both!

Date: April 17, 2008 12:08PM
Posted by: n00binio
fongu schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i think there's a square shape somewhere in the
> cars.wad which i don't know if its the internal
> wheel or external or both!

the dimensions of that sahpe can´t be changed, if you´re doing a new steering wheel it has to fit in that square
Date: April 17, 2008 12:17PM
Posted by: SilverBlaze
Craigo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> is there a way we can increase the size of the 2d
> wheels? I like 2d but often think they seem to
> small??

What I do, is to move the wheel back- and upwards, so it will come closer, and therefore look bigger, and still look like it was were it should be when looked through TV-cam. Works best with real time editor.

HD SUZUKA - MENU ADDONS - ONBOARD CAMERAS - VIDS
Date: April 17, 2008 12:24PM
Posted by: schroeder
well, a long time ago nicola and i developed the idea of giving the drivers-shape in the carshape a kind of upper arm in 3d. then the 2d arms should be moved as forearm to the driver, let´s say somewhere around at the elbow.
so the 3d upper and 2d fore arm can build almost a "real" angle, and they will "come up" from down (elbow) to the steeringwheel... it´s stll looking a bit funny but this could give an almost real effect (beside the steering wheel is 2d).
the most motion inside the arms when driving a f1-car is within the forearms, i think.
but to bring this, all shapers should go this way...
but...it´s hard to convince the people to produce their shapes in the same standard....

matt
Date: April 17, 2008 12:35PM
I've seen Enzo do the shoulders and the upper part of the arm, but we can start doing it with the 08 shapes if you created a shape and passed it around as opensource. I'm not sure how the blend would look if you know what I mean.

Date: April 17, 2008 12:40PM
Posted by: b-tone
I think we tried that with DTM, but the arm ends (shoulder/elbows) move vertically a bit, and they are quite wide apart. But worth looking into :)

____
Tony

Date: April 17, 2008 12:42PM
i will send you something later, for testing...
i already moved the arms non steering wheel end more forward and down in my personal mods, even without this rudimentary arms, and it´s looking much better. try it yourself... :)

matt
Date: May 16, 2008 05:43PM
Posted by: SAMF1
any more news of what your guy are doing?

Date: May 16, 2008 10:03PM
this is what it could look like...
ok, the 2d arm is still little too big and in some camera angles it looks a little funny, but it´s much better than before.
and you got the right steering-wheel movement and a better angle of upper and lower arm. maybe some more adjustments needed (with width of 2d arm).
what do you think ?

matt

btw: this are the first ingame shots of my fw29... (no alphas yet) ;)

Date: May 16, 2008 10:13PM
Posted by: kizz
nice idea :) you should make the driver body downloadable somewhere so then all shapers can use it in their new cars
Date: May 16, 2008 11:24PM
yes i will upload the stuff...

here now with edited 2d-arm width.

matt

Date: May 16, 2008 11:42PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Still the width is too big imo.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: May 16, 2008 11:51PM
yes...it was a quick edit...
also on the second shot you can see the limitation: when turning the wheel the "elbows" are moving a little up and down, so the ends of the 3d arms are to see.
maybe i have to remove the closing faces at the end and move the 2d arms a bit until the best position is found...

matt
Date: May 17, 2008 12:40AM
Posted by: ricferla
Hi mate

Which coordinates do you use in your onboard and viewangle cams ?

Thanks

Ricardo
Date: May 17, 2008 02:42AM
sorry mate, don´t know about cam position, i was using tweaker´s ingame edit to move the position.

matt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy