Telegram channel for all the GP4 downloads [discussion]

Posted by Soutsen 
Hello all the fine lads and gals, the members of this community.

As some of you know there is a problem with a GP4DB.com site which was one of the most useful resources apart from this community. Old GP4Italia, GP4Argentina and many more went through this way in the past already and there was a problem with the GPG site as well when it was temporarily unavailable as a result of fire on server stations in France. Yes we have people like quickslick who still have some files on his discs, but even he had a major problem recently and many files are lost forever. I also had lots of GP4 stuff on my drives, sometimes even rare like Laputa track or the one with the falling leaves, but I also had major disc problems twice and since then I not even trying to gather up all of them again. So, I think that one solution can be creating a GP4 telegram channel and chat for people to gather up all the things that we still have up to this date in one place. The Telegram platform getting more popular lately with people checking some news about the RU/Ukraine tension over there, and I'm personally is an active Telegram user since early 2018. It can be done like this over there:

click to watch

The thing that I've shown there is just A TEMPORARY SHOWCASE of how things can be done. All the links are dead and I haven't upload anything w/o discussing the issue with the community and creators for sure (F1virtual members, drt01, Jorge Caranti, RSCT and so on, many of you guys). If some like I dunno - for example Jimbob1 disagrees with this then I just can forward to his thread or personal site for people to download from there. But the direct download from Telegram obviously would be easier. The only problem with Telegram is the 2GB limit, but like 99% of GP4 related files are less than that and for the heavier ones the usual Mediafire links can solve the issue. All the inputs and opinions are welcome and if you guys see like this is a good idea, I can appoint people like Mortal, quickslick, Turbo Lover and some more that I'm sure wont be deleting links just being in a bad mood and also I will place all the necessary ads and links to all the useful resources (such as GPG, F1Virtual, GP4Forever, GP4Facile and whatever else is left), change the design, resign from admins there and etc etc, this is all open for discussions and your opinions.

The only thing that matters is that I want to make a resource where people can get all the GP4 stuff w/o googling for it, asking for upload each time when the link is dead again and so on. The only intention is to make this easier w/o of being worried after major sites like GP4DB getting awol and I'm up to spend my time checking these and other forums for all that's left and so on and pretty much all of you guys can share your archives in the Telegram chat I've attached to the main channel and I'll be just sending links to them in the major channel to make the sorting process easier. Again, the design can be changed, like this, it is just a matter of discussion and up to your taste (also can be done through the assistants like telegra.ph and so on):

click to watch

So, what do you think, guys?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2022 10:06PM by Soutsen.
Very niceu.
Maybe its silly but why not put the links in a topic here in GPG to start with.
For example like my topic on track updates, thats one category. In the same thread in each post their could be other items like tools, cars, helmets, etc etc all well organized.

Mediafire free account already gives you 50gb of space, witch is more than enought but you have to keep it active.

I am willing to help out a bit to organize. (Y)

2010 to 2021 Gp4 Track updates
JCaranti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe its silly but why not put the links in a
> topic here in GPG to start with.
> For example like my topic on track updates, thats
> one category. In the same thread in each post
> their could be other items like tools, cars,
> helmets, etc etc all well organized.
>
> Mediafire free account already gives you 50gb of
> space, witch is more than enought but you have to
> keep it active.
>
> I am willing to help out a bit to organize. (Y)

Nothing silly was said by you Jorge and I appreciate your input. I think one thread for all the stuff may be a good idea as well. The thing is that the current mediafire limit is 10GB afaik (at least on my current account), which is not that much to cover ALL that there is available for the game. While in Telegram you can upload as much as you want even in 1 day, unless your file size is not 2GB or higher. I already use it to keep my all private stuff like my photos and musical stuff I did just in case if I get my discs damaged and 3 of my closest friends are adminning that private channel of mine just in case if I lose my current Telegram account, so they can accept me back when I make a new one and so I will keep all the stuff I needed. It is really a good alternative to the cloud storage if you don't have large files (such as TV shows or movies and so on etc - all that is +2GB size) and music in .mp3 and .flac and photoes are not that heavy, as well as I think 99% of GP4-related files. Takes some time to upload all the things, but it is worth it like totally (Y)

It could be just a duplicate measure to create a one big thread over here pinned to a FAQ or a front page, using Connor Steer's excel sheets - or even just updating exactly them with renewing the links. I have no idea who is working on them now, cos when I contacted him for the last time 2 years ago via Facebook he seemed to be busy IRL and his reply was very short, but it seems like since then some problems with his sheet were fixed (I think the search function was broken for quite a long time), but still his file:
1 - is not complete
2 - has invalid or outdated links
3 - quite often refers to no-longer existing sites such as GP4DB or just to some threads at your site or GPG as well where links are not always available

Anyway, if I'll go on with making a TG channel gathering all the stuff, duplicating a thread over here or these sheets made by Connor, it is a good idea to point to your threads or to F1virtual etc - where the mediafire links still working and up to date, instead of making direct downloads from Telegram. It was as well one of my first thoughts cos some people just want to know how many people download their works, and via mediafire it can be seen by the ones who is uploading and posting, so it is fair.

And yeah, all my intention is only to make it easier for newcomers and others to find all the files that were spreaded amongst all the different forums and threads w/o spending tons of time doing so, not to you know steal some renown or something, cos GP4 in 2022 is obviously not a place where one can get any serious benefit or attention. I have quite some time to check carefully through the various threads but you know digging them all back and asking who still has all the stuff would be annoying instead of people sharing all their archives in Telegram chat. Anyway, cheers for understanding, and I'll wait to see what the other people think about it.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2022 02:09AM by Soutsen.
I agree, but I will need help. Btw. Now that I see your signature, the gp4 download list only shows tracks to me.;)
jaguarcatalonia Wrote:
> I agree, but I will need help. Btw. Now that I see
> your signature, the gp4 download list only shows
> tracks to me.;)

Yeah, search function in that excel sheet is not friendly for the people not familiar with the program :(
That's exactly one of the reasons why it seemed like making one big thread or Telegram archive would be much easier for the newcomers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2022 02:07AM by Soutsen.
Seems to me 2gb of free storage would be a great way to help backup/preserve (and find) all the small things we all need (apps/tweaks and maybe PF files and MD files etc).

As for the mods, we are still quite well served by Tom's site and Mediafire, but I was wondering about archive.org too? They seem to have a lot of space we could use.

I don't use telegram myself, but stashing our core goodies in several places on the net has to be a good idea, given the gradual decline in availability of GP4 stuff over the last few years.
Noog Wrote:
> Seems to me 2gb of free storage would be a great
> way to help backup/preserve (and find) all the
> small things we all need (apps/tweaks and maybe PF
> files and MD files etc).

There is no limit at all at Telegram, you can upload the whole internet over there as long as one separate file is less than 2GB. I've uploaded already 82GB of my own musical stuff in .mp3 mainly and 40GB of my photos in .rar archives. Also planning to upload all the rare live shows by my fav rock bands (ACDC, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd etc 60-70s era) that I have in .flac on my drives just in case to save them all if my discs get damaged.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2022 08:51PM by Soutsen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy