Site Announcement for Discussion.

Posted by mortal 
Re: Site Announcement for Discussion.
Date: January 28, 2022 04:06AM
Posted by: miki2000milos
I'll make another comment as I feel I can add to the discussion on data collection (I have an IT background - albeit somewhat short as I'm still a student)
I believe it's no more of a concern on Discourse as it is right now. If you read the current privacy policy (it's at the very bottom of the page), you'll find that IP and device info are collected even on the current forum (which is also the case on all forums I'm a part of), which you can negate if you use Tor browser (it gives access to the website through a proxy, so it gives different device+IP while hiding yours). I think this is collected mainly to prove a person is accessing the site, as there are a lot of bots around with more malicious intent.
I've read Discourse's privacy policy too, didn't notice anything unusual. They mention that Google's cookies are used if Google analytics is configured, and I expect they'll be configured as it expands the site's reach in google searches. That said, you can disable 3rd party cookies in your browser, but also basically all websites give the option to disable 3rd party cookies as a prompt.

I didn't initially want to comment on alternatives to Discourse, as I believe they were considered by Mal and Stefan before making the post. I'd expect the script for migrating content was the deciding factor. For me the main issue with the current layout, is the scaling on mobile (not the page layout, but small buttons and hyperlinks). But I'm noticing we all have small issues with the current layout, that an update would likely resolve. Therefore I'm still very much for the change.

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

GPGSL activity check app: Direct link - Source code - Have you posted?
Date: January 28, 2022 01:14PM
Posted by: Dahie
I don't know how much traffic the forum gets through search engines, but I'd imagine it's a great public repository. I don't know if Discord provides the same public discoverability. It would be a shame if all content becomes "lost" in a closed platform.

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: January 28, 2022 03:31PM
Posted by: JCaranti
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this version is no longer supported.

What versions are supported ?
Can you show us?

2010 to 2021 Gp4 Track updates
Date: January 29, 2022 04:48PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Dahie Wrote:
> I don't know how much traffic the forum gets
> through search engines, but I'd imagine it's a
> great public repository. I don't know if Discord
> provides the same public discoverability. It would
> be a shame if all content becomes "lost" in a
> closed platform.

I agree I use Google search a lot to find particular threads.

If old threads are copied across do they have their original dates or would they all come through as 2022?

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 02, 2022 09:30AM
Posted by: zifox
Noog Wrote:
> While I appreciate the need to move forward (as
> others have mentioned I too am exasperated by the
> faulty search and embedding, the mailbox size and
> the dodgy scaling etc) but I have to say I'm
> becoming pretty horrified the more I read on the
> Discourse site. It comes across as an application
> more suited to one-liners, emojis, ham-fisted
> social engineering and cat pics than anything
> remotely interested in promoting in depth
> discussions about the finer details of our beloved
> racing game.
>
> As kedy89 pointed out earlier, the endless
> scrolling is extremely problematic. While it might
> work well for a three line conversation, it will
> kill a thread like Pedro's (with 92 pages and 1839
> posts as we speak) stone dead.

Can't this display issue be fixed by a particular theme or css sheet, to have layout similar to the one we have here ?
Also, we don't HAVE TO use emoji or single liners even if that's what it had been developed for.

The one point I do agree on, and I didn't realize it when I browsed the demo forum, is the lack of pages: that's an issue.
Date: February 02, 2022 02:03PM
Posted by: pauloderpich
I’m not qualified to give an opinion if this site should move on or out to another website, app or whatever environment you’re planning to migrate...it seems it’s a sign of the times...
As a user/consumer I’d ask to preserve this wonderful source of knowledge that lingers on every forum here, plus the database of course!
I agree with Carl about keeping the header image.

Also congratulate and thank all the people involved in keeping alive this wonderful site and, of course, this wonderful game for more than twenty years!

Ave GP4, ave grandpixgames.org

Paulo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy