Reflection on sky domes...

Posted by zifox 
Reflection on sky domes...
Date: January 18, 2022 10:53PM
Posted by: zifox
... and their reflections. ;)

Since I have started to play a new season using mainly tracks updated by Hega's and gap177, i've been wondering about the use of skydomes in the track.

Although they allow us to have a wonderful view when taking screenshots and populate the sky in dry weather, they have a few drawbacks, like causing much more reflections on cars, triggering visibilty issues due to their huge size, and hindering the render when it rains.
I have to admit that, after the "woooow" effect when loading the track for the first time and taking nice shots, I have been removing the skydome from a few tracks I've been using for my season. Although the render of the sky is worse, I prefer the "realism" of the default weather system/render.

What triggered the creation of such skydomes ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2022 10:54PM by zifox.
Re: Reflection on sky domes...
Date: January 19, 2022 04:43AM
Posted by: vesuvius
zifox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... and their reflections. ;)
>
> Since I have started to play a new season using
> mainly tracks updated by Hega's and gap177, i've
> been wondering about the use of skydomes in the
> track.
>
> Although they allow us to have a wonderful view
> when taking screenshots and populate the sky in
> dry weather, they have a few drawbacks, like
> causing much more reflections on cars, triggering
> visibilty issues due to their huge size, and
> hindering the render when it rains.
> I have to admit that, after the "woooow" effect
> when loading the track for the first time and
> taking nice shots, I have been removing the
> skydome from a few tracks I've been using for my
> season. Although the render of the sky is worse, I
> prefer the "realism" of the default weather
> system/render.
>
> What triggered the creation of such skydomes ?

I'm afraid I did trigger it many years ago by asking about sky textures seen in WIP GP4 pics and it eventually went as far as skydome+realistic sky.

You can control the reflection by either changing material of the skydome (from MISCTO to Horizon)or making cars,helmets etc to have more darker alpha channel. You can also stop using dynamic env.mapping (use static instead)which cause more reflecitions.

I prefer using skydomes, they give better reflections, which by little fine tuning can be stunning (as seen in screenshots of this forum) also it works relatively well with dynamic realistic weather (rain)at least for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2022 04:44AM by vesuvius.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy