[Car Setup] Please help me understand packers

Posted by DrTzTz 
[Car Setup] Please help me understand packers
Date: April 21, 2021 05:28PM
Posted by: DrTzTz
Hey there,

I've been experimenting with my setup in GP4. However I can't really seems to get how the packers work. I read Gpaedia and everything I could find online including the search function in this forum. While I found some interesting posts by Morbid, I didn't really get how the packers are working. As far as I understand it, packers limit how far your suspension can move, so if you would go above a certain amount of compression in the springs, the car would just sit on the packers, which are not springs but a stiff material, from the video in GP4 (some plastic rings?).

So I tried to have my ride height so low, that I don't touch the floor in the fast corners, but on the fast straights of course I scrub along the floor. So I wanted to install some packers just below the lowest value for the springs in the telemetry in the fast corners. But I'm still ruining my floor plate like this.

I don't really get how they work? What are the mechanics or principles behind packers, and how can I set them up correctly? When do they come into play? I thought they are a fixed value below which your suspension can't move. Seems not to be the case though.

Thanks

P.S: Excuse my terminology might be off, I have the german version of the game.
Re: [Car Setup] Please help me understand packers
Date: April 21, 2021 09:28PM
Posted by: mortal
[www.grandprixgames.org]

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: April 23, 2021 05:26PM
Posted by: DrTzTz
Thanks,

I did read that thread, but it doesn't really answer the questions how packers work. I found that they don't seem to work like a fixed limitation below which the suspension cannot got. So if they are not that, how do they work? Are they just "stiffer" springs above a certain suspension amplitude? Because they don't seem to behave like the fixed component they appear as in this documentation: [youtu.be]

Thanks again.
Date: April 23, 2021 10:13PM
Posted by: mortal
In game, they are to prevent the plank from bottoming out, don't read to much into it.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy