Game wont start on Win 7

Posted by IlBecchino 
Game wont start on Win 7
Date: April 12, 2021 08:20PM
Posted by: IlBecchino
I downloaded the game and tried to launch it. I'm on Win 7 Home premium and when I launch the game there's only a black screen and the music, I also have to close the game with task manager. I tried to use the win Xp SP3 and running as an administrator both Gp4.exe and the Gp4 patch application(which also has the debug mode and extended time period on) but the result is always the same. I tried searching but I seem to be the only one facing this issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2021 08:36PM by IlBecchino.
Re: Game wont start on Win 7
Date: April 12, 2021 09:48PM
Posted by: mortal
Check the pinned FAQ.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: April 13, 2021 01:04AM
Posted by: Jordhy
I've been through this problem a few times (win7, 8.1 e 10), I remember uninstalling and installing everything again, I can't guarantee that this is the right procedure, maybe someone has a better solution. I am Brazilian and you what is your nationality ?? (google translate)
Date: April 13, 2021 09:36AM
Posted by: Noog
If you're hearing the music the game is probably working.

By default there's a short logo vid that plays first. (You can kill the video by pressing Esc). Try that. It might just be the video not working (which probably means you don't have binkw32.dll in the GP4 folder).

Whatever, if pressing Esc moves you on to the game menu, in GPxPatch (GPxPatch), you can prevent this video running at all: ie, select skip video (and skip start up menu because you don't need that either).

If pressing Esc doesn't make any difference, kill the game and look at the file called f1graphics.cfg in the GP4 folder, first line:

1 ; f1graphics.cfg controls all settings (default 0)

If yours says 1, change it to 0 and run the game again.

If it says 0, make it 1 and try again. If you change it to 1, make sure the two lies below that match your screen resolution, or a smaller valid resolution, like this

800 ; [RELEASE] Game 3D Horizontal Resolution
600 ; [RELEASE] Game 3D Vertical Resolution

Save the file and try again.

What happens now?

If it still doesn't work, in Win 7, RUN dxdiag.exe. Check it says you have DirectX 11 in the initial tab, then click on the DISPLAY tab and check DIRECTX 3D and DIRECTDRAW are both enabled.

If they are and the game still isn't working, we'll try something else next OK?

EDIT: Better still, go and get this GP4 installation from Tom's site. Chances are that will just work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2021 10:07AM by Noog.
Date: April 13, 2021 04:38PM
Posted by: Zacio Geribello
I have this problem too, I don't not what version you use. Do you use CSM? (mods?) Case is, IF you install gpxpatch you start the game with it and it will probably work well, but it won't be the original GP4 to start it: install gpxpatch, you may give it a try... :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy