How Do i Install the carsets and tracks plus performance editor

Posted by Cheryl-lee 
Hello Everyone my name is Cheryl-lee and im huge fan of formula 1, and saw GP4 Videos on youtube with custom cars and tracks..
I just wanna know how do i put them into the game files, like the cars and tracks i have already download plus how do i install the performance editor aswell..
Thanks everyone if you can help me my apologies tho what im asking sounds like i dont know what to do, i guess its because im just a girl..lol
Please can some one help me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2021 10:13AM by Cheryl-lee.
Welcome Cheryl-lee.

Your questions are good, but the answers are more complex than you might expect.

Putting individual cars into GP4 often requires quite a bit of background knowledge and jumping in at the deep end is really tough; even for girls!

For now, I would strongly suggest that you choose a particular mod and install that, because it's a more straightforward process - and there are some nicely put together ones here to choose from.

To install any of these mods you'll need ZazTools, which you can get here

Also, you'll need a copy of the latest GPxPatch, direct from the developer.

I'd also recommend; if you have GP4 up and running now, that you make a copy of the folder before you do anything; just in case you have to go back to square one at some point.

Tracks, in some ways, are easier to install selectively; but again, 'trackpacks' have been created to make the process easier. You can find some here

My advice would be to try a couple of mods and trackpacks and see how you get on. Even if nothing goes wrong you will be gaining useful experience and this will come in handy later.

Good luck - and if you do get problems, take a look at the FAQ first.
Thank you for the info!! I really appreciate it.. tho its seems to me its very complex, not sure if i understand how to do it.. it very complicated..lol
Yes, it does seem complex at first (and it is really), but it's more to do with the fact that GP4 was never really intended to be any thing other than a stand-alone 2001 season game, so we have to use a diverse selection of tools created by users to force it to do what we want.

So here's a brief outline of two of the basics I outlined above:

ZazTools - This excellent little package gives us a range of useful things, but for now let's look at the two main ones you get when you install ZazTools: CSM and TSM (Car set manager and Track set manager).

CSM helps you load new cars and TSM helps you load tracks, but they have to be in a format that CSM and TSM can understand. If you clicked the link to the mods I offered you you'll see that the main component of each mod comes as a .CUH file, which tells you it's built to be used with CSM. So to load one of the mods linked above, simply install ZazTools, then start CSM and you should be able to work it out from there.

Track files use TSM to load a .TUH file instead but the principle is the same. Both .CUH and .TUH files are both rather like .ZIP files in many ways, ie they are just a way a cramming everything together into a single compressed file. The point here though, is you need CSM (or TSM) to unpack and install them.

So, ZazTools is what you might call an essential, because many car and track mods are only released in the .CUH/.TUH format.

Of course, not all cars, mods or tracks are built to be installed using CSM or TSM (because it's an extra step for or mod or track developer to master - and because Linux users like me can't use CSM or TSM easily), so in that case you have to do the job manually. But for now, let's ignore those exceptions, because CSM and TSM are pretty good at what they do (most of the time) and they offer you the quickest road into the world of updated cars and tracks.

GPxPatch - This little piece of wizardry is another essential. The most important essential really. It's basically a clever little program that you run GP4 through, ie you start GPxPatch and run GP4 from there, rather than starting the game with GP4.exe as you did in the original game. It's too much to explain fully here, but it gives us access to a lot of features that wouldn't otherwise exist, like performance files (PFs), updated TV graphics displays etc and new tracks etc. Best of all it prevents GP4 crashing when it otherwise would, because as I said before, the game wasn't really designed to be tweaked to the extent that we like to tweak it and it's GPxPatch that makes it all possible. Like ZazTools, it's a small and simple installation which brings the game to life. Once it's installed, you simply get into the habit of starting the game by running GPxPatch.exe, rather than GP4.exe and you're away.

Hope that helps and don't assume you're the only one who doesn't 'get it' immediately. GP4 invariably demands a bit more of it's users than most racing games. On the upside however, there aren't many computer games that still have a following after nearly twenty years: so unless everyone here is crazy, it's a fair bet that it's worth the trouble in the long run. Initially, it can seem like an impossible task, even to get the thing working in some cases; but slowly, as your experience builds, everything will become much easier.
Thanks for the pointers.. hehe, one more thing how do i Install zaztool and the patch like what do i do put them in the gp4 folder and simply just click on the icon.. where do they go to be automatically attached to the game,
Thanks
GP4 into C:/Games, CSM and Gpx into C:/program files is the usual method of installation.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
You can do that, but wherever you put the installer ZazTools will install itself to a folder in your Windows Program Files folder and put an entry on the start menu. To install a mod once you've done that though, all you need to do is download a mod (ie a CUH file), dbl click that and Windows will go an get ZazTools (CSM) for you.

As for GPxPatch, yes, put the file you downloaded into the GP4 folder, double click it and follow the prompts.

(Actually, you'll find the mod will install GPxPatch for you, so you don't need to install GPxPatch yet - but you'll usually find that the GPxPatch version in the mod will be older than the one you have, so once you use CSM to install the mod and it works, then you can install the latest GPxPatch when you feel like it and it'll just replace the one in the mod. It is a good idea to upgrade eventually though - as not all features are in the older versions).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2021 08:36PM by Noog.
Darn it, i still find it hard to figure it out.. probably cause im a blonde..hehe, anyway thanks for helping me.. i just got a one last request, and thats can you please give me a step by step lesson of how to do it.. from installing GP4 what do i do next i have the patch, 2020 mods, cars and tracks! And how do i integrate it all so the pits crew are the same as the cars at pitstops.. and how can i edit the power of the drivers using power editor.. or some other .exe
Well hope you can show me the light.. lol
Download a ready to play iso which includes all the patches. Link is in the FAQ. There's also info on installing ZAZ Tools. Keep at it. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Thanks!! i will
If I may say so Cheryl-lee, you're finding it hard to figure out because you are like a person finding a rusty knife who decides to take over the world before lunch.

Now I'm not going to say you can't. But you might like to conquer a few smaller principalities first to get some perspective on the task at hand.

Be like your avatar. Lie back, relax and allow this thing to unfold gradually. Rome wasn't built in a day, as they say.

Does that sound patronising? It's not meant to; it's just that in my experience, really getting to grips with GP4 takes an enormous amount of time and there's simply no way around that.

You have the game installed. You have the 2020 mod. So it's a good idea to get that up and running first.

After that, you can move on to the next thing; whether it be pitcrews, replacement circuits, performance editing or something else. Choose one and I (or Mortal, or whomever) will be happy to help.

Fair enough?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2021 10:58PM by mortal.
Yeah its sound fair.. its doing my head in lol.. can i just ask do you know where i can download michael schumacher mercedes W03
The car can be found here:

Or you can get the full 2012 mod, here:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2021 12:12PM by Noog.
Thank you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy