Looking for GP4 installation guide/tutorial win 10

Posted by LIME 
Looking for GP4 installation guide/tutorial win 10
Date: February 24, 2021 12:21PM
Posted by: LIME
Hi, can someone give me a proper tutorial how to install this game, i have original Copy, i installed it in D/GP4 then i ran the patch v9,6 unzipped it,next i downloaded gpx patch, after i tried to open it, the message " smart filter blocked this from opening" I then ran a virus scan, nothing was found, after that i simply copied gpx patch to the main folder where the exe is located , but that hasn't done the trick, the game hasn't started once, if someone can give me a proper step by step guide on how to install this game I will be very grateful for that.

And also the game wants me to install direct 8.1 even though i did that several times using install direct 8.1 button.

Also i installed nocd patch but it hasn't worked either . I do own original copy of the game.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2021 08:01PM by mortal.
Re: Looking for GP4 installation guide/tutorial win 10
Date: February 24, 2021 10:15PM
Posted by: TomMK
How to install GP4

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: February 25, 2021 11:49AM
I Was following this giude but i ran into several problems that i listed in OP
Date: February 25, 2021 10:13PM
Posted by: TomMK
LIME
smart filter blocked this from opening

Sounds like your virus scanner is getting in the way.

LIME
after that i simply copied gpx patch to the main folder where the exe is located

That won't help, you need to install GPxPatch like a regular Windows application.

Try using the pre-patched, ready-to-play version from GP4 Central.

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: February 26, 2021 01:28PM
So i do have turn of smart screen and then open the patch, ok, but is it safe?
Date: February 26, 2021 01:37PM
Posted by: Noog
To save Tom replying - yes, it's perfectly safe. Your filter software is paranoid and delusional. You can ignore it.
Date: February 27, 2021 05:46PM
Alright , and what should i do with that direct 8.1 issue or the patch patches it as well?
Date: February 27, 2021 07:18PM
It's a long time since I did it and I don't use Windows anyway, but if you've downloaded this file I'm pretty sure you just copy the contents of the archived file to a folder and play: ie 'ready to play' as Tom said.

I have something similar (ie a default installation) that I made up for myself and (like Tom's IIRC) it doesn't require any extra work, ie no CD, no patching or anything. You just copy the entire folder over & you're away. The only proviso is your machine must have (or pretend to have) a CD drive or the built in no-CD patch won't work. The original CD is never needed.

You can install from the CD in the traditional way and patch it yourself, as you seem to have been trying to do (and to be fair to you it's not entirely clear that you DON'T need to do that anymore), but it's not worth the effort.

Hope that helps.

Oh one last thing. Once you get the original game up and running, take a look at this to see how far the smart people in this community (ie not me) have taken the 2001 season on from the original.

Have fun.
Date: February 28, 2021 04:37PM
So, just download the file you mentioned, unzip and copy into another folder?
Date: February 28, 2021 04:58PM
It worked thank you very much , but how can i edit keys, i cant click on edit keys, because it wont let me
Date: February 28, 2021 10:34PM
You're welcome.

Depends what you mean by not being able to click on 'edit keys', because as far as I know there is no such thing.

GPxPatch has a button called 'Edit Key Binds' which will let you edit the key assignments, but the game itself also has a more limited option: (CONTROLS > ADVANCED > KEYBOARD SETUP > CHANGE DRIVE KEYS).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy