Bad FPS issues in corners with cars around and with most mods

Posted by MobileChicane 
I have two weird FPS/processor utilization issues.

1. With the default game, and with the 1979 mod, the game mostly seems fine, but often when in corners with lots of cars around the FPS drops badly, sometimes CPU utilization goes up to a few hundred. I think it's worse when I lock up the brakes, but I turned off particles in my mirror and it didn't help. Turning down audio from other cars didn't help either, although I'm not sure if setting it to 0 means the game actually stops generating the sound.

2. With the 1982, 1988 and 1995 mods, the game is completely unusable. Even the menus are laggy, and in the game itself I get way less than 1 FPS.

Please tell me that these are common issues with easy solutions :) I searched the forums and couldn't find answers though.

Setup info:
64-bit Linux (CentOS 7), running Wine 5.0.2 32-bit
4th generation Intel Core i7 running at 3.2GHz
16GB RAM
GeForce GT 720 using nVidia binary driver
I'm using a bit of an older version of gpxpatch which used to work for me before (393)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2020 10:01AM by MobileChicane.
Hi MobileChicane,

The bottleneck in your system is definately the graphics card. This is way too weak to play the game with decent framerates especially when using virutalization.

I would try to buy a better graphics card, must be not one of the newest generation ones, but with 4 GB VRAM minimum and get a cheap Win 10 Key and install Windows on a separate partition and the game will run ;-)

Cheers
You might need the patch which allows GP4 to access more memory - I'm sure I've seen it on this site. There is also a program called CFF explorer which can also patch the GP4.exe file and there was a guide on how to do it.

I was getting terrible slow downs on a lot of tracks even with a fairly powerful computer and patching the GP4.exe file solved the issue
Thanks for the replies!

tamburello Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The bottleneck in your system is definately the
> graphics card. This is way too weak to play the
> game with decent framerates especially when using
> virutalization.
>
> I would try to buy a better graphics card, must be
> not one of the newest generation ones, but with 4
> GB VRAM minimum

When I did actually use virtualization with VirtualBox it was terrible, but I didn't think Wine should affect performance too much. I might try Windows sometime though.

When I watch the "GPU Utilization" and "Used Dedicated Memory" in the NVIDIA X Server Settings tool, they don't seem to be the issue. The memory usage never gets over 20% and at the times when the performance is bad the GPU utilization is low, or at least lower than normal (which seems to be 60-70%). I've never looked at this stuff before though so don't know if they matter.

neilcaine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You might need the patch which allows GP4 to
> access more memory - I'm sure I've seen it on this
> site. There is also a program called CFF explorer
> which can also patch the GP4.exe file and there
> was a guide on how to do it.
>
> I was getting terrible slow downs on a lot of
> tracks even with a fairly powerful computer and
> patching the GP4.exe file solved the issue

Thanks, I remember reading about that. It's weird though, the Linux 'top' command only shows GP4.exe using 256MB-ish of RAM (the "RES" resident size) while loading up a track with the 1988 mod (which performs terribly), so it doesn't seem like it's a lack of memory, but I'll try that patch out. I found it in this thread.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy