First shot at making renders, feedback please

Posted by natasp 
First shot at making renders, feedback please
Date: June 23, 2020 04:17AM
Posted by: natasp
Hey guys, I'm updating the GPGNC wikia and I also always wanted to learn how to make some renders, this is the first one I made it, I'm looking for feedback, what should I change it, what should I avoid it, anything will help me

Also, all the textures seem mirrored, is anything I'm doing wrong?

Re: First shot at making renders, feedback please
Date: June 23, 2020 05:36AM
Posted by: Macca25
Apart from everything being a mirror image, it looks awesome.

Retro Liveries on the SMD-ZG02![www.grandprixgames.org]
Retro Renders 2.0 on the SMD-ZG02LN![www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: June 23, 2020 08:28AM
Posted by: Mullet345
Looks pretty good. Maybe try flipping the TGAs vertically and see if that fixes it (or horizontally if vertically doesn't work).

*Edit* actually, you could always just flip the finished render instead but only if you want to have the car facing to the right (if you want it facing the left then just ignore this part).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2020 08:31AM by Mullet345.
Date: June 23, 2020 08:34AM
Posted by: kedy89
Textures not flipped when converting I guess.

Scene in general looks rather dark. Tyre shape and textures don't work together, see the black parts on the rims. Carshape needs some fixes, on the sidepod especially you can spot borders between the different texture parts.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Besides the minor bugs (I always flip vertically...) the car looks almost perfect! Keep up the good work, mate (Y)
Date: June 23, 2020 11:56AM
Posted by: edestler
Nice for the first time. Do you use Zmodeler or Blender?

Race Driver #19
Scorpion Grand Prix
Date: June 23, 2020 12:31PM
Mullet345 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks pretty good. Maybe try flipping the TGAs
> vertically and see if that fixes it (or
> horizontally if vertically doesn't work).

If I do that it just gets out of place in the car, the nose goes to the wing and etc, I dont know ho to work with the uv mapping yet, I just used the prewsentation kit that was in the nations cup season 4 thread

kedy89 Wrote:
> Textures not flipped when converting I guess.
>
> Scene in general looks rather dark. Tyre shape and
> textures don't work together, see the black parts
> on the rims. Carshape needs some fixes, on the
> sidepod especially you can spot borders between
> the different texture parts.

What do you mean by not flipped Tobi? and yeah, I need to fix those things, still need to learn how though hahahah

edestler Wrote:
> Nice for the first time. Do you use Zmodeler or
> Blender?

Blender, i just used zmodeler to export the car in 3ds

Also the specularity or whatever it's called in Blender (the glowing light spots) isn't very nice, yet, at the front wing (too blurred) and too shiny on the sidepot edges. And personally, I'd either reduce or blurr the mirroring effect, because typically, it's imperfections that make renders look more natural.

I know this all sounds quite overwhelming at the moment. I've been there in the past ;-) Just stick to it, play around with some settings, check out some YouTube videos and you'll see good progress over time.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)
Date: June 23, 2020 07:18PM
Assuming you converted tex to tga, click the flip option. It's a long road to get some pretty nice renders, for a start it ain't half bad.

Some mods
Date: June 24, 2020 12:33AM

Managed to fix the textures at least, just gotta work on the other things now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2020 02:43AM by natasp.
Date: June 24, 2020 11:05AM
Posted by: Mullet345
Nice. Hopefully there is no more issues going forward.

That's a really good progress already! The floor mirroring looks a lot better. And the general brightness is also better.

Tyres look better, too, but there are still those hard edges between the tyre walls and the treads. Like Tobi said, it looks like these textures don't belong together.

I also noticed that you completely removed the specularity. Giving the car object some of it as well as some reflection (not too much) makes the texture look less dull.

Date: June 24, 2020 03:10PM
How can I get those borders in the sidepod to look better btw?

That's a matter of the skin. To me, it looks like the 'amber' logo was put there with a lightly dark transparent layer behind it. That makes it look a little darker as the rest of the white parts on the car and that's what causes the hard edge. Open the skin and see if you can get rid of this background layer and you should be fine.

Date: June 24, 2020 05:13PM
You can see whether it's an issue with the texture or the car by viewing the car without texture. If it's the car, you'll also see borders then. I "fixed" it as follows
- select car, enter edit mode (TAB)
- select all (A), Toolbar (T) -> Tools tab -> remove doubles
- leave edit mode, car still selected, rightside menu -> Data (the triangle) -> Normals -> tick Auto Smooth. Play with the angle until it looks nice. 45 upwards normally worked for me

Also fyi, I got better render results using jpg instead of tga. The alpha channel always gave me big troubles.

Some mods
Date: June 25, 2020 04:41AM

Didn't had any luck yet with the tyres or the sidepod, I tried the tips by Tobi, but it didn't see to change anything besides changing all the shape of the car, also, its not the texture

Date: June 25, 2020 10:19AM
Posted by: Lacrowe
Mr. Natã Cremasco,
I have followed your discussion in these days, and I think I have given an opinion to all this, I want to say that I would like without recalling banal criticisms, expressing personal advice
To make a rendering you need at least three things: A good person, a modest software and creativity.
_ The subject already looks good, except for the wing-shaped mirror holders that I don't like, however the subject is correct.
_ The software is free apparently and this allows you to do something without having to make excessive expenses, but it seems to me that you need to know it a little better, at least know how to use light filters on solid surfaces and how perspective determines an important value for the final effect. So it is better to study a little for this software.
_ Creativity is very decisive for this kind of thing, but for what I see it seems almost absent. The car does not have a real surface on which to base the whole scene, a backdrop that lends a little depth to the subject is missing, it looks like a car positioned in space and in the dark, it does not even incentive to buy if it were on sale.
The way a person wants to try their hand at rendering a rendering does not have a fixed line, but at least the possibility of creating something that is not as rational and static as the image you have posted is needed. So if this can help, read the potential of the software better and try to think less rationally before doing your excellent rendering. Good job.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy