How to put a car into GP4's "Cars.Wad" properly?

Posted by JRAJ19 
How to put a car into GP4's "Cars.Wad" properly?
Date: June 09, 2020 04:48PM
Posted by: JRAJ19
After much using of google translate from English to Portuguese I believe I've got permission to transfer certain F1 Challenge mods from the mid to late 70s to GP4. As a testing mark not even for personal use I've converted a 1989 car, an Onyx. I've enclosed a rar file for anyone to say Am I doing the job properly or if I've messed up. Minardi are the 10th team in the GP4, cars wad and Onyx finished 10th in the 1989 championship. I can do the Zmod job, using the 3DSimED31v program also which deals with F1 challenge/Rfactor files.
Onyx

If this post violates any rules please delete it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2020 04:50PM by JRAJ19.
Re: How to put a car into GP4's "Cars.Wad" properly?
Date: June 09, 2020 05:17PM
Posted by: fongu
I've not tried in-game at all, but having a quick look here's a few pointers:

- you'll want to associated parts of the shape with the name of the object in GP4, as the named objects in GP4 have specific properties, the brakeglows and rear lights come on at different stages, the nose, left and right front wing and fins come off in a crash and replaced at the pitstop etc, same with the rear wing (upper and lower, left and right fins), the mirrors (if mapped correctly) are for the mirror reflections, and visor are for transparent/windowed parts. Anything you don't need (like barge boards and z_cockpit_insert for example) can be just one polygon hidden somewhere inside the car.

- you'll also need to add an alpha layer to the texture, the alpha layer manages the strength of the reflection in-game with white being super reflective and black moving towards matte, so you'll want to start with a fairly dark grey and tweak as necessary.

Anyway, hope those little things help, feel free to ask for any more tips.

#JRAJ19: Many thanks for your contribution to GP4! Keep it up (Y)
#fongu: Couldn't have given a better advice(Y)(I)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy