Adding DirectX9 effects to Grand Prix 4 (ReShade) [tutorial added P1]

Posted by Carl_gpgames 
Hello everybody

I just came across this tool and i'm absolutely amazed by it's effect!
I was looking for a program to change the colors in GP4 (to reduce the saturation) because i didn't wan't to use a filter with GPxPatch.

It's called ReShade and you'll find it here. You will also need to download d3d8.dll and copy this file to your Grand Prix 4 installation folder.
Now you run ReShade and select GP4. Then you can download filters and effects and run the game.

When you start GP4, you'll press "Pos1" ("Home"-button on some keyboards) to open the settings. You'll find a lot of filters and can change and add possibly everythin like adding depth blur, changing color intensity and much more. Everything works in game so you'll see the effect directly and don't need to restart the game every time. Some screenshots (just to show what's possible, not a propper result):

Important notes
- Set "Use CPU" in GPxPatch to "All". ReShade (and especially the DX8 to DX9 conversion supports multi-core-processore. Huge perfomance boost!
- Make sure to uncheck compatibility mode and run as administrator in the properties of gp4.exe and gpxpatch.exe! Otherwise ReShade will not work!
- If your monitor and your graphics card support g-sync, adaptive sync or something similar, enable it.
- If you note horizontal lines on your screen, enable "VSync". Do not enable v-sync in f1graphics.cfg. enable it in your graphics card settings and if possible, limit the frame rate to that one GP4 is using (max. 60 fps).

Setting up your depth buffer
ReShade needs to read your Grand Prix 4's depth buffer to apply most of the advanced effects (all "3D-effects" - if you want more than just adjusting the color or adding layers / filters). To set up your depth buffer correctly, follow these steps;

1. Open your f1graphics.cfg and set this line to "0":
0			; [RELEASE] Number of multisamples if available (0-16 :: 0 => off, 1 unused)

2. Start GP4 and open the ReShade Settings, go to "DX9" and enable Use aspect ratio heuristics. Disable anything else.

3. Test if your depth buffer gets read properly by ReShade. Switch to "Home" tab, search for DisplayDepth and enable it.

If it works, your game should look like that (if yes, you can now disable it):

If it doesn't, u may either see your mirrors in full screen or probably a reflection of your car. if this is the case, try to:
- select the line that contains your resolution (step 2). if it still doesn't work try to disable all antialiasing settings in your f1graphics (and your graphics card settings). even though i never disabled them for GP4, it apparently helps with other games (and you can still add antialiasing with ReShade).
- edit your global preprocessor definitions
- or try to enable and / or disable performance mod (especially if some effects don't work)

4. Now you can add all effects that require depth buffer (like depth haze, fog, PPFX SSDO - which adds more shade to 3D-objects and looks absolutely amazing!).

blur (right upper corner):

vr-mode (!!!):

I'm not sure if it's already well known here, but i find it amazing!

Have fun,
Carl

GP Files | GP Videos | Discord: Carl_gpgames#2350

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2020 02:21PM by Carl_gpgames.
Thanks for the tip! Does it cost FPS?

===================================================================================
Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
no didn't notice any effect on the fps. the fps is fix anyways in GP4 (f. e. if you set it to 60 fps, it will stay at 60 fps).
in my case, it also didn't affect the CPU at all. As far as i understand, this tool works through GPU only.

Thanks Carl, I'll definitely give it a try :-)

===================================================================================
Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
there is also a lens fler effect that changes depending on how strong the light on track is. pretty cool.

Cheers! (Y)

Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
it obviously changes the cpu-behaviour somehow... if i set to to "CPU 0" in gpxpatch, my cpu occupancy is around 200%, if i set it to "all", it is around 30% and smoother than ever.

whatever, enough GP4 for today. :-)

Nice effects.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Yes, we used to talk about Reshade and sweetfx some years ago.
What is great with the last version is that sweetfx effects are now integrated to reshade so there is one installation for all.
I have tried to install reshade into main GP4 folder but once the game is launched, the menu won't show up.
@Carl: Could you copy and paste your reshade.ini informations, please. I think that they are some lines missing for me.

Thanks in advance ;)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi,
when I start reShade I get the following message: It looks like the target application uses Direct3D8. You'll have to download an additional wrapper from '[github.com]; which converts all API calls to Direct3D9 in order to use reShade.
So I did but it doesn't work :( What could I do or what did I eventually wrong?
greetings and thanks in advance for your ideas...
Karl
Excalibur
Yes, we used to talk about Reshade and sweetfx some years ago.
What is great with the last version is that sweetfx effects are now integrated to reshade so there is one installation for all.
I have tried to install reshade into main GP4 folder but once the game is launched, the menu won't show up.
@Carl: Could you copy and paste your reshade.ini informations, please. I think that they are some lines missing for me.

Thanks in advance

i didn't really have an installaton procedure. i just opend "ReShade_Setup_4.6.1.exe" and could directly select GP4. after that i downloaded the filters and effects and then it worked. here is the reshade.ini:

[DX9_BUFFER_DETECTION]
DisableINTZ=0
PreserveDepthBuffer=0
PreserveDepthBufferIndex=4294967295
UseAspectRatioHeuristics=1

[GENERAL]
ClockFormat=0
CurrentPresetPath=C:\Infogrames\Grand Prix 4 Mod\gp4.ini
EffectSearchPaths=.\reshade-shaders\Shaders,.\reshade-shaders\Shaders\PD80,.\reshade-shaders\Shaders\Depth3D,.\reshade-shaders\Shaders\OtisFX,.\reshade-shaders\Shaders\Pirate,.\reshade-shaders\Shaders\qUINT,.\reshade-shaders\Shaders\Daodan,.\reshade-shaders\Shaders\Fubax
FPSPosition=3
NewVariableUI=0
NoDebugInfo=0
NoFontScaling=1
NoReloadOnInit=0
PerformanceMode=0
PreprocessorDefinitions=RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE=1000.0,RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_UPSIDE_DOWN=0,RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED=0,RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_LOGARITHMIC=0
PresetTransitionDelay=1000
SaveWindowState=0
ScreenshotFormat=1
ScreenshotIncludePreset=0
ScreenshotPath=
ScreenshotSaveBefore=0
ScreenshotSaveUI=0
ShowClock=1
ShowFPS=1
ShowFrameTime=0
ShowScreenshotMessage=1
TextureSearchPaths=.\reshade-shaders\Textures
TutorialProgress=4

[INPUT]
ForceShortcutModifiers=1
InputProcessing=2
KeyEffects=0,0,0,0
KeyMenu=36,0,0,0
KeyNextPreset=0,0,0,0
KeyPreviousPreset=0,0,0,0
KeyReload=0,0,0,0
KeyScreenshot=44,0,0,0

[STYLE]
Alpha=1.000000
ChildRounding=0.000000
ColFPSText=1.000000,1.000000,0.784314,1.000000
EditorFont=
EditorFontSize=13
EditorStyleIndex=0
Font=
FontSize=13
FPSScale=1.000000
FrameRounding=0.000000
GrabRounding=0.000000
PopupRounding=0.000000
ScrollbarRounding=0.000000
StyleIndex=2
TabRounding=4.000000
WindowRounding=0.000000

huskyman49
Hi,
when I start reShade I get the following message: It looks like the target application uses Direct3D8. You'll have to download an additional wrapper from '[github.com]; which converts all API calls to Direct3D9 in order to use reShade.
So I did but it doesn't work :( What could I do or what did I eventually wrong?
greetings and thanks in advance for your ideas...
Karl

did you cope the d3d8.dll in your GP4 main folder?
i too have this message, but it doesn't afect anything, it works fine.

just click OK, then you should see this window where you can select the effects to download:

after that you're ready. when you launch GPç, you'll see a bar on the top of the screen and can just press "Pos1" do edit the settings.

Hi Carl,

thank you so much for your advice - now it works perfectly (I just missed to download the filters..).
Theres actually an almost incredible amount of features - I will try out one by one accordingly...

best wishes
Karl
you're very welcome.

So far, i'm using FilmicPass, PPFX SSDO and HexLensFlare. MotionBlur sounds promissing, but i haven't found a propper setting yet.

Edit: I had to enable VSync in my Nvidia-Settings since i had horizontal lines on some frames. Now everything works great. Btw; VSync in the f1graphics.cfg didn't work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2020 12:44PM by Carl_gpgames.
Re: Adding DirectX9 effects to Grand Prix 4 (ReShade)
Date: June 01, 2020 04:52PM
Posted by: fongu
Thanks, will give it a try, looks great.

Thanks for information! Great Stuff!
Thank you, Carl :-)
here is a video showing GP4 with some filters and light effects applied. looks pretty cool.
my settings are here.

sorry to bother you again with this topic guys but i'm still very much amazed by ReShader! Look at the difference for night races (esp. curbs, lights, black color, depth of textures). In motion, it looks even better:

Carl_gpgames Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> here is a video showing GP4 with some filters and
> light effects applied. looks pretty cool.
> my settings are here.

never seen gp4 look so good.....i take it the time of day has been edited to get that look also ?
Looks great, but how do you get gpxpatch to work with it? mine doesn´t turn on anymore at all.

gp4.exe doesn´t work either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2020 05:59PM by vesuvius.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy