Wow this game

Posted by simonparker 
Wow this game
Date: May 24, 2020 10:37AM
Posted by: simonparker
I only recently played this due to the lockdown giving me lots of free time.

I had never heard of it but was very impressed how it has stood the hands of time.
Ok the pit crew graphics are dated but the tv viewing of the action is excellent.

But I wanted to ask you how realistic is it?

Do the computer simulated cars go in for change of tyres if the weather changes?

Do cars? stall at the start of a race?

Do you get any major accidents involving 3 or 4 cars?
Re: Wow this game
Date: May 24, 2020 02:30PM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
Hi simonparker,

yes, in many aspects the GP4-game is quite amazing - especially considering its high age of 18 years, now!

1.) GP4 is quite close to reality, I think. Just have a look at the physical driving of the cars. You can feel clearly that a studied physicist (Geoff Crammond) made this game.

2.) Yes, the CC-cars will change their tyres if it starts to rain or the track dries out.

3.) Sadly, there is no such a feature that cars will stall the engine at the start of the race - next to the missing safety-car, this is one missing feature.

4.) Depending on the track: Yes, sometimes you can see collisions with 3, 4 or even more cars. But as in real Formula 1, those crashes are rare.
Date: May 24, 2020 02:32PM
Posted by: Jordhy
Yes, but it will depend on parameters inside the csm / gpxpatchs / gpxset / session sets / probability of rains / conditions (I can't explain the numerical form), you can start with a dry or wet track and in the pit the exchange happens naturally. (google tradutos)

Sim, porem vai depender de parametros dentro do csm/gpxpatchs/gpxset/session sets/probability of rains/condiçoes(nao sei explicar a forma numerica), pode começar com pista seca ou molhada e no pit a troca acontece naturalmente.
Date: May 24, 2020 05:08PM
Posted by: simonparker
Interesting stuff. It’s a shame the safety car, formation lap and stall starts aren’t included and can’t be added.

I doubt very much it is possible to add more cars or remove ?

I’m looking forward to playing with the mods and trying to change the tracks and some liveries
Date: May 24, 2020 06:20PM
Posted by: vesuvius
simonparker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting stuff. It’s a shame the safety car,
> formation lap and stall starts aren’t included
> and can’t be added.
>
> I doubt very much it is possible to add more cars
> or remove ?
>
>
> I’m looking forward to playing with the mods and
> trying to change the tracks and some liveries

Yup those would be nice features, but sadly not possible.

You can't have more than 22 cars but you can remove cars from the race (so you can have a race like 2005 Indianapolis with just 6 cars on the grid) with a tool called gp4tweaker.

There is no better F1 game than GP4, simple as that. There are lots of mods,tracks etc to try on.
Date: May 24, 2020 06:44PM
Posted by: livejackass
Something I learned in a forum topic and I've been using a lot is the CustomGridTool, with it you can simulate, not the SC but the restart of the race. What do I do. When there are 2 points on the track with yellow flag I save the positions in a screenshot (F11) and then restart the race discounting the laps already covered. If it is a championship I change the score in ChampionshipEditor. Try this method is a lot of fun.
Date: May 24, 2020 11:56PM
Posted by: jfvm
livejackass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Something I learned in a forum topic and I've been
> using a lot is the CustomGridTool, with it you can
> simulate, not the SC but the restart of the race.
> What do I do. When there are 2 points on the track
> with yellow flag I save the positions in a
> screenshot (F11) and then restart the race
> discounting the laps already covered. If it is a
> championship I change the score in
> ChampionshipEditor. Try this method is a lot of
> fun.

Wow, GP4 race-director mode :) Love it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy